Pharmacist LOR

Started by atnguy13
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

atnguy13

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A pharmacy school I would like to apply to recommends a LOR from a pharmacist, which I don't have. Would anyone like to share their experience on how they received a letter without being a pharmacy tech I can do on short notice? I was told that shadowing isn't an option because of HIPPA. Even if I got a chance to shadow a pharmacist, is it too much to ask after only meeting me for a couple days, would it even be a strong letter for someone who hardly knows me?
 
A pharmacy school I would like to apply to recommends a LOR from a pharmacist, which I don't have. Would anyone like to share their experience on how they received a letter without being a pharmacy tech I can do on short notice? I was told that shadowing isn't an option because of HIPPA. Even if I got a chance to shadow a pharmacist, is it too much to ask after only meeting me for a couple days, would it even be a strong letter for someone who hardly knows me?

I postponed my app due to wanting to get my tech license first
 
Last edited:
I postponed my app due to wanting to get my tech license first, then started off as a pharmacy cashier for about 2 years and then worked 2 more years as a pharmacy tech and finally am able to confidently say that I have received 2 great letters of rec from 2 different pharmacists in charge (1 from my pharmacy manger). Therefore, I would definitely say that it would not be a great idea asking someone you shadowed for a few days, unless it'ys been at least 1 year.
ue
yes
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just don't get one. There's not much you can do and shadowing someone just for a letter is a real stretch.

If I were in your shoes I would get a pharm tech job. You might be able to get a LOR out of it but the experience will be much more valueable.
 
Last edited:
You would be surprised how many students who get into Pharm school don't have tech exp. I would try an independent pharmacy if you could and just ask to shadow/volunteer and help organize things. They sort of get to know you and you get a feel of how things are run. It is sort of late in the year though, when I did it, I started from March to August. Maybe they'll offer you to let you write a LOR for yourself and them signing it off like I've seen professors propose for undergrad to students because they're so busy.
 
Try and get a different healthcare professional write you a letter then, if a pharmacist is unavailable. Well, if it's possible anyways.

I didn't work in a pharmacy setting, but I worked directly with medicine and patient care and got a great letter from a very well known, well respected Doctor. My school recommended a pharmacist letter (like, all schools do), but I had a good backup instead.

Do you have anyone you can ask?