Pharmacist maternity leave?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swatchgirl

Exercise your brains out, so you don't get sick.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a full-time staff pharmacist. This is my first pregnancy. I am currently 14 weeks and 2 days pregnant, just starting to show a small baby bump. My due date is May 18, 2018. When should I submit a request for maternity leave? How long does a maternity leave typically need to be? Does it all come out of the PTO bucket? I have 180 hours accumulated right now, is that enough or do I need more?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a full-time staff pharmacist. This is my first pregnancy. I am currently 14 weeks and 2 days pregnant, just starting to show a small baby bump. My due date is May 18, 2018. When should I submit a request for maternity leave? How long does a maternity leave typically need to be? Does it all come out of the PTO bucket? I have 180 hours accumulated right now, is that enough or do I need more?
You work for walgreens I assume. They will allow you to use your PTO and banked sick/vacation days if you have any. If all you have is 180 hours, you will need to take some unpaid time via FMLA. 180 hours is only 4 or 5 weeks, you are going to need at least 8 weeks off, ideally 12.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
if you were smart, u would publicly announce pregnancy and let HR know. why? that PIP plan don't mean jack until after you come back from maternity leave ;)

Reactions: 2 users
At my hospital you tell your friends first so they can get their vacation time approved before you submit for maternity leave and they all get blocked...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Walgreens covers pregnancies under the company-paid disability plan. The first week is the waiting period where you have to use PTO. Then the next 6 weeks you will get full pay. Then up to 180 days will be half pay, but only if you are still medically unable to work. You can also use your PTO or unpaid FMLA.

Reactions: 3 users
if you were smart, u would publicly announce pregnancy and let HR know. why? that PIP plan don't mean jack until after you come back from maternity leave ;)

Can you please clarify "don't mean jack"? I was put on the PIP almost immediately after I told my pharmacy manager that I was 8 weeks pregnant. Do you mean I should not have told anyone until I showed (third trimester)?

Call HR and document that you announced a pregnancy and were immediately retaliated against with the PIP. Management made a mistake with the PIP timing. It appears as a FMLA violation because it started right after you disclosed you were pregnant. Your FMLA protections trump the PIP if I had to guess.

Congrats btw.

Reactions: 2 users
Can you please clarify "don't mean jack"? I was put on the PIP almost immediately after I told my pharmacy manager that I was 8 weeks pregnant. Do you mean I should not have told anyone until I showed (third trimester)?
D'ohohohohohoho.

You should trick the manager into putting that in writing and then contact a lawyer.

"Hey, i have a question about using sick leave for maternity.
Remember when I told you I was pregnant back in ________ before my PIP?
I think back then I had X sick hours.
My question is whether 1 hour of sick hours translates to 1 hour of maternity"

Surely the op is trolling us. No way she would miss the timing of the pip and announced pregnancy. If your not trolling then you just got a nice help to retirement.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Seriously. Only a completely incompetent manager would give you a PIP immediately after you announced your pregnancy. I mean, what are the chances.....do you really think they've been debating what to do with you, their marginal performing pharmacist, and then when you announced you are pregnant, they decide now is the time to take a stand and give you a PIP?

This really, *really*, sounds like they just don't want to pay you maternity leave, and are hoping to get you to quit/fire you, before your labor and delivery.

I would definitely be talking to HR. Not because HR cares about you (they don't), but because HR cares about lawsuits, and your manager has set up himself and your company for a discrimination lawsuit.

Reactions: 3 users
Seriously. Only a completely incompetent manager would give you a PIP immediately after you announced your pregnancy. I mean, what are the chances.....do you really think they've been debating what to do with you, their marginal performing pharmacist, and then when you announced you are pregnant, they decide now is the time to take a stand and give you a PIP?

This really, *really*, sounds like they just don't want to pay you maternity leave, and are hoping to get you to quit/fire you, before your labor and delivery.

I would definitely be talking to HR. Not because HR cares about you (they don't), but because HR cares about lawsuits, and your manager has set up himself and your company for a discrimination lawsuit.

Unfortunately, companies hate when women get preggo. Even though it's illegal they will try to get rid of women that get preggo bc once a woman gets preggo the chance of her getting preggo multiple times is high and the company will lose a lot of money, efficiency and flexibility everytime a woman gets preggo. AT my last corporate job they didn't fire the woman that got preggo but they make the work place so hostile and annoying that they basically forced her to quit. While def illegal what my company did it is hard to prove and the woman didn't want to make a big stink bc in case her lawsuit failed no other companies would take someone who sued their last employer..

Last edited:
It's more professional to say "preggers"