Pharmacist Requirements

Started by haley84
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

haley84

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have recently decided to become a pharmacist. I have a B.S in Community Health, and I have most of the prereqs completed except for Physics I & II and Calculus. I am interested in online or distance learning pharmacy programs since I will have to move every couple of years with my husband (he is in the military). I have looked into the school Creighton in Nebraska, but anyone knows of other schools who offer the program online then please let me know. I would appreciate that very much!

I have few questions and concerns. I am only interested in working as a pharmacist in either a chain pharmacy (CVS or Walgreens) or in a hospital/clinic, so will I still need a Doctor of Pharmacy degree or will a Masters of Science work? I am also planning to take the exam to become a pharmacy technician so I can do that while in school. Also, would I have to get licensed in every state that I live in or can my license transfer between states?
 
I have recently decided to become a pharmacist. I have a B.S in Community Health, and I have most of the prereqs completed except for Physics I & II and Calculus. I am interested in online or distance learning pharmacy programs since I will have to move every couple of years with my husband (he is in the military). I have looked into the school Creighton in Nebraska, but anyone knows of other schools who offer the program online then please let me know. I would appreciate that very much!

I have few questions and concerns. I am only interested in working as a pharmacist in either a chain pharmacy (CVS or Walgreens) or in a hospital/clinic, so will I still need a Doctor of Pharmacy degree or will a Masters of Science work? I am also planning to take the exam to become a pharmacy technician so I can do that while in school. Also, would I have to get licensed in every state that I live in or can my license transfer between states?


Wow, I didn't even know that Masters of Science in Pharmacy existed. How does that work ? I thought only a doctorate was offered.
 
There is no Master's in Science to be used as a criterion to obtain a license to become an RPh, no. Cheb, OP is just asking if there is such a beast, I think. 🙂

OP, you'll need a Pharm.D, no matter what.

As far as distance pathway, Creighton is, to the best of my knowledge, the only one.

About your cPhT question, it varies state to state, but for example, in California, if someone comes here with an out of state license, they need to submit to the gestapo stuff Cali. wants (LiveScan, last will and testament, first child, etc). Other less Gestapo states might not require that, and may accept a "transfer" of your license - Check with each state's board of pharmacy for more information. It's usually pretty easy to find.

And thanks for doing the toughest MOS in the military - wife!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just signed up to take my last prequisite at the following:

www.mountainstate.edu

I find their distance learning program to be very flexible as you have up to four months to complete each course.
 
I am interested in online or distance learning pharmacy programs since I will have to move every couple of years with my husband (he is in the military). I have looked into the school Creighton in Nebraska, but anyone knows of other schools who offer the program online then please let me know.
Creighton's program is the only PharmD program in the US that allows you to complete your degree completely online. However, this does not mean that you can do everything from the comfort of your home. You will still have to go to Omaha during the summer to complete labs.

...will I still need a Doctor of Pharmacy degree or will a Masters of Science work?
Although many pharmacy schools offer graduate degrees, to practice as a pharmacist, you need a PharmD. There is no other qualification to get a pharmacist's license in the US.

Regarding the CPhT question, what Passion said.