Pharmacist resume writing: should you include license number?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coffee_Fiend

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you recommend including your pharmacist license number on your resume/CV? I am a new pharmacy grad and recently became licensed and am looking for jobs, so I'm interested to know what the opinion is on this issue.
A quick google search brings up multiple articles that recommend adding your license and certification numbers to your resume/CV, for the purpose of making the hiring manager's job easier.
However, I'm also seeing those who are against adding it on due to privacy and security concerns.

I just checked my Board of Pharmacy website and I can find my own license number without even including the number in my search. So I am aware that it is publicly available information for those who know the relevant information about me. But with that being said, if it is that easy for a hiring manager to look up my license number without even knowing the number in the first place, why include it on a resume and make it that much easier for an ill-intentioned middle party to find?

What do you think? Do you include your license number, or do you just write "XYZ State" Pharmacist License?
Is it really necessary if your pharmacist license info is already included in your job application?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you should include them all (all states, license number, issue date, next expiration date) in your CV. This is public information anyway, but it makes it easier to cross-check. On a resume, I would include the relevant license if it applies to the job you are asking for even if you are submitting your paper license anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Put it on the resume
I did and I got a job

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did it. There's really no privacy concern, licensees in most/all states have their info publicly searchable (it's in the public interest).

California lists addresses but you can list a mailing address (I use a PMB).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks to all, I will include the license number for sure!

I just thought of another question. When you list your organization memberships as a pharmacist on a resume/CV, is listing "student" organizations seen as silly, even if you're a recent grad? So for example, would listing "APhA-ASP" instead of just "APhA" or listing "SNPhA" instead of "NPhA" be looked down upon? And how much do hiring managers for hospital staff pharmacists or retail pharmacists care about which organizations you are a member of? For example, if I only joined ASHP because it cost the same not to join due to the Midyear meeting registration discount it gave me, but I haven't otherwise done anything for this organization, would it be of any benefit to list this when applying to a hospital position? (For those who read between the lines, no, I did not match :() Would listing ASHP be looked down upon when applying for a retail position?

Should I list "pharmacist" organizations even if I haven't yet been substantially involved with them, only list the pharmacist versions of organizations that I was involved with as a student, or continue to list the student organizations I was involved with?

I had my student organizations and leadership roles on my resume right out of school, but removed them after getting my first pharmacist job. I don't know what value they add unless you held a leadership role, and even then I felt like it was padding on my resume. Opinions can differ I'm sure, but in my school being a member of APhA-ASP just meant you bought a monthly pizza subscription.

It was my decision to read this and now I will never get those 2 minutes of my life back

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Opinions can differ I'm sure, but in my school being a member of APhA-ASP just meant you bought a monthly pizza subscription
Truth!
I think I'm just going to include a separate section for leadership/community service and avoid listing student organizations.
It was my decision to read this and now I will never get those 2 minutes of my life back
Sounds like your problem.

I've never put my license # on a resume, never even thought about it. I mean, it's just as easy for the hiring person to type my name into the state license-look-up, as it is to type in my number. I can't imagine it's makes a difference in the hiring process either way (and I don't think it's a privacy concern either, since anyone can look up your number on-line)

I've never put my license # on a resume, never even thought about it. I mean, it's just as easy for the hiring person to type my name into the state license-look-up, as it is to type in my number. I can't imagine it's makes a difference in the hiring process either way (and I don't think it's a privacy concern either, since anyone can look up your number on-line)

I guess for me it's a perception thing, the numbers make it look complete. I have my RPh license there and my BPS number as well.

And if you have a common name, having the number makes it much easier to corroborate. I'd rather key in the number than waste time trying to figure out which iteration of "Anh Nguyen" you happen to be.

And if I pick the wrong one and that person has some license issues, I might not even call you back, and you'll just think you weren't competitive enough.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks to all, I will include the license number for sure!

I just thought of another question. When you list your organization memberships as a pharmacist on a resume/CV, is listing "student" organizations seen as silly, even if you're a recent grad? So for example, would listing "APhA-ASP" instead of just "APhA" or listing "SNPhA" instead of "NPhA" be looked down upon? And how much do hiring managers for hospital staff pharmacists or retail pharmacists care about which organizations you are a member of? For example, if I only joined ASHP because it cost the same not to join due to the Midyear meeting registration discount it gave me, but I haven't otherwise done anything for this organization, would it be of any benefit to list this when applying to a hospital position? (For those who read between the lines, no, I did not match :() Would listing ASHP be looked down upon when applying for a retail position?

Should I list "pharmacist" organizations even if I haven't yet been substantially involved with them, only list the pharmacist versions of organizations that I was involved with as a student, or continue to list the student organizations I was involved with?
I also didn't match. On my original CV, I listed everything, but especially as a practicing pharmacist that seems like overkill. I would only list organizations that you are actually a member of at that time or memberships where you did something significant (and your position with those organizations). You may want to branch out outside of pharmacy organizations for some memberships. Some of those non pharmacy specific memberships are cheaper and you get more for them (journal subscriptions ect). ASPEN is really good.

Addendum: You may want to have a more focused resume to send out as well. From personal experience, no one wants some 8 page CV from a new grad. I keep a master CV with everything so that I don't forget things or lose any dates, but I would only send in a condensed version for different applications.

Last edited: