pharmacist salary (range)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curioustechie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I did do a search on this, but nothing particular enough to this. I'm just wondering if any of you can give me details on pharmacist salaries (ranges) and, if possible, how much it usually increases due to raises, promotions etc. I know it can depend on location, setting (Managed Care, Clinical, Retail etc). The reason I'm curious about this is because my GF is currently in P2 and I work in IT and trying to figure out how much more she'll be making than me and when. No, I'm not doing this to compete or anything like that, just we both want to do the best we can and make as much as we can (again, not in selfish way). I know as soon as she becomes a pharmacist, her salary will most likely be nearly double mine, but my goal is to become an IT Director and I know then my salary will fall in her range and exceed it eventually. Also, is it true that pharm start at the top, but pretty much end there? Thanks for any and all info, and again- NOT trying to compete with her in a bad way, just friendly competition, if you will :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I did do a search on this, but nothing particular enough to this. I'm just wondering if any of you can give me details on pharmacist salaries (ranges) and, if possible, how much it usually increases due to raises, promotions etc. I know it can depend on location, setting (Managed Care, Clinical, Retail etc). The reason I'm curious about this is because my GF is currently in P2 and I work in IT and trying to figure out how much more she'll be making than me and when. No, I'm not doing this to compete or anything like that, just we both want to do the best we can and make as much as we can (again, not in selfish way). I know as soon as she becomes a pharmacist, her salary will most likely be nearly double mine, but my goal is to become an IT Director and I know then my salary will fall in her range and exceed it eventually. Also, is it true that pharm start at the top, but pretty much end there? Thanks for any and all info, and again- NOT trying to compete with her in a bad way, just friendly competition, if you will :)

Why don't you ask her?

~$85k for hospital jobs, $110k for retail although this varies highly depending on location. In highly "desirable" cities and places like NYC, Miami and Southern California all the pays might be lower and the job market can be little to no jobs available. In rural areas or areas that people are too lazy to move to the pay might be higher. A lot of pharms stay at their pay range but some become directors and can make like 140k, 160k whatever. Its very hard to be your own boss in pharmacy though.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Pharmacists.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
~$85k for hospital jobs, $110k for retail although this varies highly depending on location. In highly "desirable" cities and places like NYC, Miami and Southern California all the pays might be lower and the job market can be little to no jobs available. In rural areas or areas that people are too lazy to move to the pay might be higher. A lot of pharms stay at their pay range but some become directors and can make like 140k, 160k whatever. Its very hard to be your own boss in pharmacy though.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Pharmacists.htm

Not wholly accurate, coming from someone not in our field...

My hospital staff job is $90k assuming that I work 36.25 hours a week. However, with all the open shifts we have right now, everyone's picking up extra shifts. Most full-timers are working 50+ hours. However, our contracts state that there is no over-time pay.

A couple of the full-timers got pretty sick and have been on leave of absence for quite a few months. Union rules state that they have to hold the position for at least 18 months when you go on leave of absence.

Hell, maybe if I get the finances in order in the next few months, maybe I could use that leave of absence clause to go for a PGY1.

You plan on staying with this woman but you can not ask her a simple question regarding pharmacist salary or do a simple salary search online?

Google it!

You plan on staying with this woman but you can not ask her a simple question regarding pharmacist salary or do a simple salary search online?

Google it!

I have and did, however I asked here for specific answers/insight. Her salary will be almost double mine (currently at ~44k) when she gets out and becomes on. Once I become an IT Director, then I should be in her range and exceed it eventually (100-200+k).

I have and did, however I asked here for specific answers/insight. Her salary will be almost double mine (currently at ~44k) when she gets out and becomes on. Once I become an IT Director, then I should be in her range and exceed it eventually (100-200+k).

Not if she choose to do residency, then she'll make as much as you until it's done.

She will start at $90-120k. If she goes on to be a DOP/regional VP, she will get ~$200k. After that, she will probably be capped out unless she keeps climbing the ladder. What's the point of this again?

If she makes more than you, that's even better. Only 1 in 15 women makes more than $100k, consider yourself winning a lotto with a 6.6% probability.

Im in the northeast...for retail staff maybe 125-140.

Pharmacy manager 140-150k+

Members don't see this ad :)
Im in a high cost of living area (one of the highest in the country) so my numbers might be a bit on the higher side. Also, those numbers are based on many of my colleagues whos bases are between 40-44/wk. I should have mentioned that previously, my bad.

Not wholly accurate, coming from someone not in our field...

Thank you, its amazing he acts as though he knows what they are paid and it's basically reading off what an outdated website says :laugh: and he's not even in pharmacy but optometry and according to bls there should be tons of jobs :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thank you, its amazing he acts as though he knows what they are paid and it's basically reading off what an outdated website says :laugh: and he's not even in pharmacy but optometry and according to bls there should be tons of jobs :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I just tried to help the person out as best I could. Obviously you guys know more about it than I do but since no one else was contributing I decided to help out. The comment before mine did not contribute any information and the comment after mine just denounced my credibility instead of positively contributing to the thread. Especially by an admin that borders on violation of the terms of service of the website.

"Be courteous and contribute positively. If you're not contributing to the forums in a positive manner, we reserve the right to temporarily or permanently close your account."
(http://studentdoctor.net/online-service-agreement/)

I just tried to help the person out as best I could. Obviously you guys know more about it than I do but since no one else was contributing I decided to help out. The comment before mine did not contribute any information and the comment after mine just denounced my credibility instead of positively contributing to the thread. Especially by an admin that borders on violation of the terms of service of the website.

"Be courteous and contribute positively. If you're not contributing to the forums in a positive manner, we reserve the right to temporarily or permanently close your account."
(http://studentdoctor.net/online-service-agreement/)

OK, pointing out that you posted inaccurate information isn't a TOS violation. But I'm sorry if that hurt your feelings.

And I'm not sure you can say "no one else was participating" when the thread had been posted less than 20 minutes.

There is also the whole issue people using the search function...

OK, pointing out that you posted inaccurate information isn't a TOS violation. But I'm sorry if that hurt your feelings.

And I'm not sure you can say "no one else was participating" when the thread had been posted less than 20 minutes.

There is also the whole issue people using the search function...

In his defense he really was just trying to help..

In addition, his information wasn't entirely inaccurate. Actually, it was pretty darn close to what I have seen P4's starting job offers. Probably less than 110k for retail, though 85k for hospital nearly hit the nail on the head (after residency).

It isn't a bad thing to have people outside of pharmacy taking an interest in pharmacy based discussions. Maybe if pharmacists and pharmacy students were a little bit nicer to medical professionals outside of pharmacy, our advocacy for prescriptive authority and clinical patient care would advance a little faster. Pharmacists are the foremost experts on drug therapy, but to actually advance the profession and be recognized as such in a clinical setting will require convincing other medical professionals.

So much hate...

I don't anyone staffing in CA get paid 140k retails - $67/hr base

English much? :eek:

She will start at $90-120k. If she goes on to be a DOP/regional VP, she will get ~$200k. After that, she will probably be capped out unless she keeps climbing the ladder. What's the point of this again?

If she makes more than you, that's even better. Only 1 in 15 women makes more than $100k, consider yourself winning a lotto with a 6.6% probability.

$200K!!! Highly unlikely.

Maybe if pharmacists and pharmacy students were a little bit nicer to medical professionals outside of pharmacy, our advocacy for prescriptive authority and clinical patient care would advance a little faster.

Oh yes, I have often thought what is holding us back is that pharmacists are not nice enough to optometrists. :thumbup:

In addition, his information wasn't entirely inaccurate. Actually, it was pretty darn close to what I have seen P4's starting job offers. Probably less than 110k for retail, though 85k for hospital nearly hit the nail on the head (after residency).

It isn't a bad thing to have people outside of pharmacy taking an interest in pharmacy based discussions. Maybe if pharmacists and pharmacy students were a little bit nicer to medical professionals outside of pharmacy, our advocacy for prescriptive authority and clinical patient care would advance a little faster. Pharmacists are the foremost experts on drug therapy, but to actually advance the profession and be recognized as such in a clinical setting will require convincing other medical professionals.

So much hate...

I don't see anything in this thread approaching the level of HATE. Hate?

And those figures are pretty low. Retail seems to be more in the range of 120K and hospital in the 100 to 110K range. YMMV

I don't see anything in this thread approaching the level of HATE. Hate?

And those figures are pretty low. Retail seems to be more in the range of 120K and hospital in the 100 to 110K range. YMMV

Eh, not literally HATE.. It is an expression for jumping on someone so quickly who had good intentions.

The ranges you are giving may have been what pharmacists saw a few years ago, but those numbers are declining quite quickly. I know many recent graduates and many soon-to-be graduates and 120k for retail is very high. 100k for hospital is really high end, though reasonable.

Keep in mind, I am talking starting salary here. Your figures are probably a good median but in 10 years they may be even lower still... :(

So much hate...

I think it's $58 to $65 an hour retail and $47 to $55 an hour hospital.

Am I right?

$200K!!! Highly unlikely.

DOP, if you own your own pharmacy, if you work over time, if you work two jobs, etc. could get you 200K a year.

Let's not brag about salaries until you actually get into medical school...even then you aren't guarantee a good salary unless you specialize in one of the most competitive residencies. I DOUBT your dumb ass will match that! lol

I dated an Emory medical student that will likely match a competitive residency and even he doesn't act like a cocky know it all ******* like yourself. :thumbdown:

Eh, not literally HATE.. It is an expression for jumping on someone so quickly who had good intentions.

The ranges you are giving may have been what pharmacists saw a few years ago, but those numbers are declining quite quickly. I know many recent graduates and many soon-to-be graduates and 120k for retail is very high. 100k for hospital is really high end, though reasonable.

Keep in mind, I am talking starting salary here. Your figures are probably a good median but in 10 years they may be even lower still... :(

Yikes, I hope that is not true. If I don't get 120k off the bat, what did I go to pharmacy school for? :scared:

I should know in November. :xf:

Am I right?

I would say that is pretty accurate. Mayo recently posted a per diem inpt position at $60/hr, but I've heard of other nearby hospitals starting new grads in the upper 40s (decreased a bit over the past several years).
Geographic location and experience can make a lot of difference.

No, my figures are accurate based on what my pharmacy school classmates (class of 2011) and co-residents (completed residency in 2012) are earning. Plus what my students (class of 2012) are reporting. As recent as it gets.

Yikes, I hope that is not true. If I don't get 120k off the bat, what did I go to pharmacy school for? :scared:

I should know in November. :xf:

It will be $58 an hour.

If you go to a very undesireable, crappy place...it could go up to $63 an hour.

Tell me if I am right! :)

I would say that is pretty accurate. Mayo recently posted a per diem inpt position at $60/hr, but I've heard of other nearby hospitals starting new grads in the upper 40s (decreased a bit over the past several years).
Geographic location and experience can make a lot of difference.

Thanks...I was almost 100% sure that I was right on those figures.

My ex is a pharmacist with two jobs and he makes $64 an hr retail and $55 an hr hospital.

So I know what the pay range is like. :)

OK will do :laugh:

Should I be applying for jobs now? Should I be updating my resume? :confused:

I haven't started applying at all nor have I started studying for the Naplex...am I being a lazy bum?

Is there something wrong with me? :eek:

We should be taking the Naplex and Law exam in June?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong!!!

I haven't started applying at all nor have I started studying for the Naplex...am I being a lazy bum?

Maybe. Yes.

No to studying. It's too early.

DEFINITELY. :smuggrin:

Or sooner if feasible.

OK.

DOP, if you own your own pharmacy, if you work over time, if you work two jobs, etc. could get you 200K a year.

Let's not brag about salaries until you actually get into medical school...even then you aren't guarantee a good salary unless you specialize in one of the most competitive residencies. I DOUBT your dumb ass will match that! lol

I dated an Emory medical student that will likely match a competitive residency and even he doesn't act like a cocky know it all ******* like yourself. :thumbdown:

Yes, if you worked two jobs. :D There are too many pharmacy graduates willing to work for $30/hr. Counting and looking up information should not demand a higher salary than a cancer researcher. :smuggrin:

No, why would you be interviewing now? I only did because I am an intern and they wanted to. You should wait until you are licensed and then try to get a job. :thumbup:

I plan on taking the NAPLEX and law exam right after graduation, so yeah June sounds good.

Maybe. Yes.

No to studying. It's too early.

DEFINITELY. :smuggrin:

Or sooner if feasible.

OK.

A guy in my class thinks you can take the naplex BEFORE you graduate. Is he right or wrong?

I always thought June was the earliest date. Graduation in May...so June would be the earliest...unless you CAN take it BEFORE graduation? :confused:

Yes, if you worked two jobs. :D There are too many pharmacy graduates willing to work for $30/hr. Counting and looking up information should not demand a higher salary than a cancer researcher. :smuggrin:

I do NOT want to insult MDs as I do like them and have dated them.

All I am saying is that people (ME at least) pick pharmacy b/c we prefer it over dentistry, medicine, etc.

And our salaries are between $58 to $65 a hour....I don't think it's bad. I had the grades to get into medical school and I know I could make more by doing that route...but I choose not to. IT WAS MY CHOICE. AS it is many other people's choice.

So quit hating!

No, why would you be interviewing now? I only did because I am an intern and they wanted to. You should wait until you are licensed and then try to get a job. :thumbup:

I plan on taking the NAPLEX and law exam right after graduation, so yeah June sounds good.

Thanks Owle,

I will be going to a career fair here in Texas since I am away from my home state. I hope I get something there...if not I'll worry about it later! :laugh:

Congrats on your job!:thumbup:

I hope you can handle the stress! :eek:

A guy in my class thinks you can take the naplex BEFORE you graduate. Is he right or wrong?

I always thought June was the earliest date. Graduation in May...so June would be the earliest...unless you CAN take it BEFORE graduation? :confused:

Well, you can take it as soon as you graduate (NOT before) and your state BOP gives you authorization. Many of my friends graduated in early May and took the exam within a few weeks.

I would recommend taking it ASAP after graduation.

I graduated in June and took it 10 days later.

Now this is a better post to exemplify the word hate.

Why so much hate.. lol

Seriously though, chill on the insults people. **** like this is just unnecessary. Pharmacy has made so many strides forward in the past 20 years since OBRA 90. People who obsess over salaries and act like *******s aren't helping. If you want big $$ go into retail.

If you want some respect, know your place in the healthcare team and don't act like you are better than anyone else.

Please round and go work in a pharmacy before you talk...

I have been to Walmart many times. Thank you.:D There is no "rounding" in pharmacy by the way. :laugh:

It is a great profession for some but I still think they are grossly overpaid.

Well, you can take it as soon as you graduate (NOT before) and your state BOP gives you authorization. Many of my friends graduated in early May and took the exam within a few weeks.

I would recommend taking it ASAP after graduation.

I graduated in June and took it 10 days later.

I'll be finished with rotations March 15th. My off block is my last block so I am done on March 15th.

I am thinking of updating my resume next weekend. This weekend will suck..have a presentation due for my informatics rotation. :rolleyes:

Plan is to update resume next weekend.
Go to career fair next month
MAYBE apply for a few manage care residencies in Dec when I am off for Christmas
When I am done with my rotations in March I'll start studying for the law and Naplex exam
I might also start applying for jobs in March as well.

Sound like a plan?

:xf: I get a job...I'll take ANYTHING now. I am not even picky!

Thank you to whoever banned HoltMD.

Count 'em, pour 'em, lick 'em, stick 'em.

Somebody with that type of mentality clearly has no understanding of what a pharmacist does. Pre-med seems about right, anyone who actually works as a medical professional in an institutional (hospital) setting would know the role of a pharmacist. A doctorate degree in counting to 30?

Ignorance never stops amazing me.

Oh, wait! Let HoltMD back.. We could clearly use someone with her knowledge. She must know quite a bit about the healthcare profession since she is a soon to be physician..

"just wanted to clarify my understanding--transcription is forming an mRNA strand off the DNA template strand, and translation is using the RNA strand to make amino acids--is this correct?"

^That is a question posted by HoltMD. Seriously? She shouldn't be allowed to post on any health science related forum. Med school outlook - not good.

1. yeah start applying for jobs now and definitely update your resume.
2. Get started on naplex...rotations goes by fast and next thing you know you have graduated. if you havent, take the prenaplex on www.nabp.net to get a gauge on where you are at. I know a couple of girls that took the test but didnt finish it and the naplex penalizes you for not finishing the test...they failed because they overanalyzed all their questions...also get a review book...the apha book sucks...rxprep was organized and do like 2 chapters a week...
3. The boards of pharmacy have to get an official letter from your school of pharmacy certifying you graduated with the total hours and all.
4. I see that you are trying to get to texas, texas takes forever in getting their application and processing their application. You have to do fingerprints and mail those out which takes forever. if you try to inquire about your license after a week, they get pissed....just giving you a heads up to get the ball rolling...it took me about 2-3 months...also you have 90 days after your naplex to transfer your score wherever you want which is nice....i graduated in 2010 and they didnt have the option of doing the score transfer after you take it...you had to decide what states you wanted to get licensed before the fact....licensing fees were ridiculouus....each state is like 800....there was the application fee, the state board of pharmacy fee, nabp fee, mjpe fee....u might wanna contact each board of pharmacy....dont be an ******* to the clerks...supposedly they are overworked, but i think otherwise...if you're an *******, they will definitely tell you not to contact them after 30 business days

I'm a p4 as well and from what I've heard from new grads on my rotations, people in my area (mid size non coastal metro (several million people)) I have been hearing $120k for new grad chain retail and $90-105k for hospital or institutional (with residency ) . Just my 2 cents. Salaries have not really been falling, more like stable.

In Florida:

CVS pays $57.95/hr and they do a 44 hr week. CVS traditionally pays their new hires the highest as a recruitment tool (even higher than their current employees with many years of service). However, raises barely keep up with inflation.

Walgreens is trying something different by starting off new hires lower at $54.75/hr, and only guaranteeing 30 hrs/wk, but it usually increases to 40 in winter when all the snow birds come down here. Raises are now based on performance.

Hospitals each have their own policies but I've seen from $45-$55/hr, evening and weekend differentials, and more opportunities for raises from promotions.

There is no state income tax in Florida.

Am I right?
So SHC is pretty much right on the money. :)

Thank you everyone for all the replies! I didn't mean for this to turn in a haven for offensive posts, that was NOT my intention at all. And, I'm sorry if i upset/offended anyone with my question, as I previously stated, not trying to compete or anything. I have all the respect in the world for pharmacy students (obviously, my GF is one), pharmacists, and any other medical student/professional. I know all you guys go through hell (seen it first hand with my GF) and you damn well deserve the salary you get (should be more IMHO). I'm only trying to figure out my own career path to determine how much more she'll be making than me and when. I know if she does residency, she'll be making about my salary or maybe less. However, as soon as I go into mgmt (Help Desk Mgr or IT Dir) my salary will get into a pharmacists range and then exceed it..100-200k+.

Thank you everyone for all the replies! I didn't mean for this to turn in a haven for offensive posts, that was NOT my intention at all. And, I'm sorry if i upset/offended anyone with my question, as I previously stated, not trying to compete or anything. I have all the respect in the world for pharmacy students (obviously, my GF is one), pharmacists, and any other medical student/professional. I know all you guys go through hell (seen it first hand with my GF) and you damn well deserve the salary you get (should be more IMHO). I'm only trying to figure out my own career path to determine how much more she'll be making than me and when. I know if she does residency, she'll be making about my salary or maybe less. However, as soon as I go into mgmt (Help Desk Mgr or IT Dir) my salary will get into a pharmacists range and then exceed it..100-200k+.

No problem dude.

You're a guy so you SHOULD be making much more than yr GF or something ain't right.

However, as soon as I go into mgmt (Help Desk Mgr or IT Dir) my salary will get into a pharmacists range and then exceed it..100-200k+.

How many times are you going to say this? Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself. She will probably meet some rich MD while she's on rotation and then dump you.