Pharmacist Sick Days and Bonus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmdmusic

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a newbie pharmacist at an independent pharmacy and have not used any of my sick days for the past year. I was wondering if you guys usually get paid for those unused sick days or if those sick days usually carry over into the next year. Also, do any of you get bonuses at the end of the year? I appreciate any responses as I have no clue and couldn't find a thread to answer this question!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You need to check your company policy.

At one point we just had PTO hours and EIB hours gained per paycheck based on a rate that increased over time. PTO was for vacation/sick time in one account and EIB was for extended illness/family medical leave. Now we have swapped and no longer have EIB hours, instead we have a set amount of sick hours and PTO hours we gain per paycheck based on a set rate. We do not get paid for unused sick hours and actaully have a max out on the amount of sick hours you can have. We do have the ability to cash out all of our PTO days once per year though.
 
In my institution, sick times are banked and considered as short term disability benefit. A lot of people take the sick time as a pseudo vacation time. I have never liked anyone who took advantage of the system. However, I have seen people get royally get screwed when they were legitimately sick for a long time and didn't have sick time saved.
 
Every employer is different on how they manage benefits.

There really isn't one set of standards.

However, every prudent employee should have a full understanding of the benefit package before accepting a position.

After all benefits can add up to 50% of the salary.

Too often people overly emphasize hourly rate instead looking at the total compensation package including time off benefits.
 
I just get all my PTO lumped together, and I don't know if we could cash it in. We have so little that I never would.
 
Too often people overly emphasize hourly rate instead looking at the total compensation package including time off benefits.

Agree, my houly salary is a little less than some hospitals, but I get almost 4 weeks vacation and I've only been here for 2yrs.

Our sick time is in a different bank and it accumulates, but doesn't get paid out 😎