1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Whether you’re preparing for the USMLE, COMLEX, NBDE or APMLE, Test Prep Week Exhibitors can help you ace your boards!

Pharmacist takes a stand for profession/patients

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Argentium, Jul 14, 2010.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  2. bear9288

bear9288

Sep 17, 2009
  3. MountainPharmD

MountainPharmD custodiunt illud simplex 10+ Year Member

Aug 15, 2004
    This is a good article for all the pre-pharms and pharmacy students to read. You know the ones always spouting off about changing your circumstances if you don't like them or life is 10% what happens to and 90% how you react to it. Here is a pharmacist doing the right thing and look what happened. It will take more than one pharmacist standing up it will take all of our collective voices. I still do not think that will be enough.

Change will not come from within the profession. Change will come about when the public demands change. Most of the major regulations governing pharmacy came about due to public outrage. Right now we live in a fast food McDonalds society where how fast will it be done is the only concern.

I do applaud him for his efforts. Its too bad some of his collegues did not stand up with him.

4. nnguyenc

nnguyenc 7+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    touchy subject always needs counter arguments

what if he really was slow at his job?

/darwin

5. TonyRx

TonyRx Hamburglar 7+ Year Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Florida
    :thumbup:
    Totally agree, I personally can't stand how utterly impatient and easily angered people are/get in our society. Everything is now now now hurry hurry hurry. No I can't wait 38 seconds for "that" because I'm in this huge important hurry to go nowhere!

People do not exercise tolerance, patience and empathy nearly as much as they should. You see it on the roads when you drive, in line at the grocery store, bank, pharmacy, etc etc etc. Yet, people are more than willing to wait 2 hours in line at Disney for a 3 minute ride...go figure :confused:

6. PharmaTope

PharmaTope 5+ Year Member

Jan 28, 2008
    why doesnt everyone forward this article over to CNN, foxnews, msn, drudge report, etc and get it picked up. the more people that email those news outlets, the more likely they are to pick it up.

7. ForgetMeNot

ForgetMeNot Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Exactly. It's not impossible to do this type of work in mail order. It's totally different than hospital or retail. Sounds like this guy was just a bad employee.

8. TonyRx

TonyRx Hamburglar 7+ Year Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Florida
    Very likely, but nobody knows for sure. Seems to me that this man is going through an awful lot of trouble and headaches to prove his point/case. I tend to side with the underdog (just my nature), so I am more inclined to believe his case. I am pretty skeptical when it comes to big business, whether it be Pharma, Oil, Banking, etc. We all know how big corporations love to squeeze the maximum amount of work out of their employees, as well as cut corners and costs...in the name of bigger corporate bonuses and impressing wall street.

So, it's not unlikely that Medco was pushing the limits morally and ethically regarding a reasonable workload for a pharmacist in one hour. We also know how gray the line of accountability and checks/balances is regarding regulators of the industry and the industry itself, in general. For his case to be dismissed based on lack of merit, could just be the "big boys" watching out for themselves. I'm not saying a massive conspiracy or cover up is at work here, it doesn't take much effort from those in power/with power to squash one man's voice or discredit him for that matter.

Given all the trouble he's going through to prove is point, I hope he's being honest and sincere with his claims.

PharmD500 likes this.
  9. Ackj

Ackj 7+ Year Member

Nov 25, 2008
    If they're asking 55 scripts/hour/pharmacist, there are going to be lots of errors. Even for a "fast" pharmacist that's a high output.

10. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 "Bubs Depot!" 10+ Year Member

65 seconds a script?

That's ridiculous.

If the public only knew how dismal the quality control was from this pharmacy...

11. nnguyenc

nnguyenc 7+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    wouldn't it be cool if we get paid a dollar per script output per hour?

$55/hour = 55 scripts/hour

12. Ackj

Ackj 7+ Year Member

Nov 25, 2008
    :eek: My store averages 180/day. I think I'm making more now on an intern salary than as an rph on your business model. Quiet before CVS hears you!

13. rph3664

rph3664 7+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2010
    While those standards are unreasonable, this guy sounds like something of a crackpot.

14. manim12

manim12

Jul 15, 2010
    its good to forward this article to CNN may be they found this helpful for them to used for certain purpose

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
  15. MountainPharmD

MountainPharmD custodiunt illud simplex 10+ Year Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Aren't all unreasonable men who demand change thought of as crackpots first?

PharmD500 and swatchgirl like this.
  16. rxlea

rxlea Almost a unicorn Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Excellent point.

17. Pharmavixen

Pharmavixen foxy pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Canada
    I left a job where it was 45-60 scripts/hour, and I was afraid I would kill somebody. It was also a tense place where they took a hard line on customer behaviour, something I thought I'd like after 12 years at "the customer is always right even if they're total psychos" Shoppers Drug Mart. But the constant screaming fights between the techs and the customers only ramped up the stress.

One of the current inmates at the jail was a customer at this pharmacy. He's up on charges of robbery, assault, fraud. Anyhow, he stopped going to this pharmacy, he says, because they "behaved badly."

18. swatchgirl

swatchgirl Exercise your brains out, so you don't get sick. 10+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Florida
  19. swatchgirl

swatchgirl Exercise your brains out, so you don't get sick. 10+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Florida
    Friendly1970 likes this.
  20. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt 10+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Illinois
    Now why was this thread necro'd? I'm curious how it ended, did the pharmacist starve to death?

I imagine Medco was not at all happy about the letter he sent to the state, but did they fire all of the pharmacists who signed it, or just Bhat? If it was just him, then I can see what the case was dismissed.

Also, it sounds like he is just doing computer review, 65 scripts/per hour sounds reasonable if that is the only thing the person is doing (no typing, no product review, no interruptions from patients, etc.)

npage148 likes this.
  21. wucool33

wucool33 New Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Do you have to call the doctor for clarification or when a mistake/interaction is found or do you hit a button and send it to someone else? What about fixing typing errors? One or two doctor calls can ruin that 65 scripts/hr quota. You are more likely to look the other way if you are pressured to verify a large amount of scripts per hour. If he doesn't have to call MD or fix any mistakes personally, then that number is reasonably.

PharmD500 likes this.
  22. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt 10+ Year Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Illinois
    That's a good question. I've never worked mail-order, so I don't know for sure. It sounds like he does have to call to clarify...does the system allow him to continue verifying RX's while he is on hold with the dr's office? I don't think fixing typing errors should take very long, or even the actual talking to the right person at the office, but if he can't do anything else while he is on hold with the office, that would definitely slow things down.

23. Sine Cura

Sine Cura 10 seconds or less 7+ Year Member

Feb 5, 2010
    How does remote verification or mail order verification work if you have "trivial" errors, e.g., fluticasone "dispense 1 spray," Breo "30 blister," "amoxicillin tabs," Basaglar 9 mL etc.

I never call on those and annotate that the prescriber "authorized" correct pack size or dosage form because they hired a bunch of idiots to do order entry.