Pharmacist's management responsibilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much control does the average retail pharmacist have regarding the working environment and pharmacy's management? ie: employment control - interviewing, hiring, firing, disciplinary actions, etc.. Is it typically all up to the pharmacy or store manager?

Members don't see this ad.

Where I work the store manager has no control over any aspect of pharmacy operations - employment, policies, access, discipline, professional judgement - all are under the pharmacy manager. On a daily basis, it is under the pharmacist who is working (there is only 1 per day).

ethyl said:
How much control does the average retail pharmacist have regarding the working environment and pharmacy's management? ie: employment control - interviewing, hiring, firing, disciplinary actions, etc.. Is it typically all up to the pharmacy or store manager?

At my home store, the majority of the things you mentioned above are handled exclusively by the pharmacy manager. Some managers seem to like it this way b/c they know exactly where the store stands at any given time. Other stores (especially those with compatible pharmacists) share the responsibility - I think it all depends on what type of personality the RXM has and his/her relationship with the pharmacy staff.

Most RXMs try to work with the store managers as far as interviewing, hiring/firing and disciplinary actions are concerned but when it comes to things like inventory, ordering, and customer complaints/misfills, they are the HMFIC.

Does this answer your question or were you looking for more specific info?

sdn1977 said:
Where I work the store manager has no control over any aspect of pharmacy operations - employment, policies, access, discipline, professional judgement - all are under the pharmacy manager. On a daily basis, it is under the pharmacist who is working (there is only 1 per day).

Julianne said:
At my home store, the majority of the things you mentioned above are handled exclusively by the pharmacy manager. Some managers seem to like it this way b/c they know exactly where the store stands at any given time. Other stores (especially those with compatible pharmacists) share the responsibility - I think it all depends on what type of personality the RXM has and his/her relationship with the pharmacy staff.

Most RXMs try to work with the store managers as far as interviewing, hiring/firing and disciplinary actions are concerned but when it comes to things like inventory, ordering, and customer complaints/misfills, they are the HMFIC.

Does this answer your question or were you looking for more specific info?

:thumbup: :D Thanks