Pharmacists on probation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Honest80

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am the most unfortunate pharmacist to exist

I have received my pharmacy license on october/2016. Found a job soon after It was too bad. I messed up a lot. I flowed the PIC directions which were intentionally misleading and because I am still new to the whole thing I ended up breaking important pharmacy laws regarding compounding and prescription verification.

Board investigation already started. I am expecting the accusation to be filed in a year or two and it will probably end up with probation.

Any other members who have experience with probation as pharmacists? what do you think of my future with pharmacy as a career?

I am licensed in Virginia and North Carolina

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have received my pharmacy license on october/2016. Found a job and started on Jan. It was too bad. I messed up a lot. I flowed the PIC directions which were intentionally misleading and because I am still new to the whole thing I ended up breaking important pharmacy laws regarding compounding and prescription verification.

Board investigation already started. I am expecting the accusation to be filed in a year or two and it will probably end up with probation.

Any other members who have experience with probation as pharmacists? what do you think of my future with pharmacy as a career?
did you not have pharmaceutical law in pharmacy school?

Reactions: 4 users
It depends on what the limitations of your probation are, on how easy it will be for you to get another job.

As a new pharmacist, the law should have been fresh in your mind, what kind of "important pharmacy laws" did you break that you didn't know were law? Usually it's the minutiae that people might mess up on, not the "important" laws.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I have received my pharmacy license on october/2016. Found a job and started on Jan. It was too bad. I messed up a lot. I flowed the PIC directions which were intentionally misleading and because I am still new to the whole thing I ended up breaking important pharmacy laws regarding compounding and prescription verification.

What state are you in that it will take a year or two?

Your pharmacist license is worth at least $4M. Something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Crap happens. That's just that. Since you're looking at such a long timeline, I'd strongly suggest documenting everything in great detail. You'd be surprised at how much you will have forgotten by the time are questioned in 2 years from now.
Document and get the PIC to acknowledge his part; i.e., what he did, what he said. Start that email trail now. You have to narrow down what exactly you violated. Did you blatantly disregard a rule you know or were expected to know?

You're not giving us much to work with here. Just make sure you document and that at the end of the day, you are only guilty of your deeds and not someone else's.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on what the limitations of your probation are, on how easy it will be for you to get another job.

As a new pharmacist, the law should have been fresh in your mind, what kind of "important pharmacy laws" did you break that you didn't know were law? Usually it's the minutiae that people might mess up on, not the "important" laws.

It is din
Crap happens. That's just that. Since you're looking at such a long timeline, I'd strongly suggest documenting everything in great detail. You'd be surprised at how much you will have forgotten by the time are questioned in 2 years from now.
Document and get the PIC to acknowledge his part; i.e., what he did, what he said. Start that email trail now. You have to narrow down what exactly you violated. Did you blatantly disregard a rule you know or were expected to know?

You're not giving us much to work with here. Just make sure you document and that at the end of the day, you are only guilty of your deeds and not someone else's.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Last edited:
It is din

The board already talked to me and requested a statement. I am not sure if I can get the PIC to acknowledge that she intentionally mislead me

What happened was really bad
t when the PIC is actually manipulating me
you cannot expect help from this forum if you are going to be this ambiguous. You have to be more specific.

In my state, it appears that the majority of the time, only the PIC's license is the one that takes the hit... sometimes the board inspector will interview all staff to gather additional information, doesn't mean that you will have a public record of violation on your license. Could be a fine etc. I'd consult with a lawyer who represents pharmacists immediately... but the one thing that I am almost certain is a not a valid reason for any violation is saying that another pharmacist mislead you intentionally... you have your license, ignorance is no longer an excuse.

I was just wondering if any pharmacist on this forum has experience with probation or with a pharmacist friend or acquaintance on probation. So he or she can share his experience.

I just want some hope.

These is very little that can be done now for me.

I was just wondering if any pharmacist on this forum has experience with probation or with a pharmacist friend or acquaintance on probation. So he or she can share his experience.
I just want some hope.

Like I said, it depends on what the conditions of your probation are, it differs widely. If you are suspected of drug diversion, then the conditions might be drug abuse treatment and random testing--some places (I think Walmart?) won't hire for that, but you will find pharmacies that will. If you are suspected of fraud and get placed on the federal exclusion list, then pretty much no place, in any pharmacy setting will hire you. If you are suspected of incompetence and required to do mandatory training or CE--again some places might frown on this, but you will find other employers that will hire you.

No one can really tell you what you are looking forward to, without knowing what exactly kind of probation you are facing.

And regardless of how you think "no one can help me now", the best thing you can do for yourself is, as others suggested above, document everything-even if it's just in your own personal notes, and consult with a lawyer who is familiar with pharmacy law.

Reactions: 4 users
Like I said, it depends on what the conditions of your probation are, it differs widely. If you are suspected of drug diversion, then the conditions might be drug abuse treatment and random testing--some places (I think Walmart?) won't hire for that, but you will find pharmacies that will. If you are suspected of fraud and get placed on the federal exclusion list, then pretty much no place, in any pharmacy setting will hire you. If you are suspected of incompetence and required to do mandatory training or CE--again some places might frown on this, but you will find other employers that will hire you.

No one can really tell you what you are looking forward to, without knowing what exactly kind of probation you are facing.

And regardless of how you think "no one can help me now", the best thing you can do for yourself is, as others suggested above, document everything-even if it's just in your own personal notes, and consult with a lawyer who is familiar with pharmacy law.

Are you a pharmacist ... do you know any pharmacists on probation who were able to find job in chain pharmacies at this time? The job market is already very bad

Last edited:
Are you a pharmacist ... do you know any pharmacists on probation who were able to find job in chain pharmacies at this time? The job market is already very bad

Am I a pharmacist? Um
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I've known at least a couple of pharmacists in the past who were able to get hired while on probation, but that was a few years ago, and nowhere near the east coast. Obviously if you are in a very bad job market, than your chances of getting hired while on probation will be decreased. I assume you are licensed now? If so, then your best bet is to get a job NOW. If you are put on probation in the future, and have been doing a good job, then your employer probably won't fire you.

Sheesh thats all? Theres a pharm tech in Illinois in the july 2017 idfpr disciplinary report who was diverting 38000 opioid pills from walgreens.

When did IDFPR start posting details about disciplinary reports? From what I've seen, all the information they publicly post is along the lines of "diverted controlled substances from employer" with no further information.

Iowa, OTOH? It's all laid out there in all its gory details.

They were oddly specific in that case, the drug was hydrocodone...
I also read multiple states and see the differences you are referring to