Pharmacists who are 50 + years old

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who here expects to work well into his 60s? Forget about it. If you get laid off or your pharmacy closed when you are in your 50s, you are going to have a hell of a time finding work. Like other professions, age discrimination is very prevalent in this profession.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Tell me about it! I've only been working 10 years and am starting to feel the pressure. Being one of the highest paid staff pharmacist within my company has made me a target for sure...

I'm trying to plan my exit strategy, but having a tough time finding work elsewhere or will be forced to take a huge pay cut.

BTW, I'm not 50 or no way near that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One just got hired in my area, he's way better then these new grads

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in my early 40's. The new grads with their poor work ethic and lack of management skills don't concern me. Maybe in my 50's. Not doing this into my 60's.

At my hospital, we have a 79 year ago who works the midnight shift (7 on, 7 off)...very sharp guy

Who here expects to work well into his 60s? Forget about it. If you get laid off or your pharmacy closed when you are in your 50s, you are going to have a hell of a time finding work. Like other professions, age discrimination is very prevalent in this profession.

You're absolutely right. Ask me how I know this.

A B.Sc.Pharm. degree is worse than useless. You can't get a job doing anything else with it either.

One just got hired in my area, he's way better then these new grads

Yep my dm hired 2 over 50 from this year's batch of hires.. they are already on their way to staff .. some of the new grads are already on their way out because of bad attitude and lack of work ethic

You better have a stellar resume and references though for this because the common perception is that old rphs are still living in the old world ways when Rph didn't really have to work . I know those folks verifying 50 per day at Safeway are not going to be hired by us that's for sure

As long as I have my student loan and house paid off by then, I'll be fine. I can live off of a menial job somewhere paying just property taxes. Or, better, I could sell the house and move back to WV where property tax is like $500 a year.

I feel like pharmacy rule #2823421 = there's always one lovable old guy that works in the pharmacy that will talk your ear off about Isuprel being brand only back in the day, and he looks like he's about to keel over any moment.

Reactions: 3 users
What about DOP or some other sort of administrative role? These are some of the few pharmacy positions I've seen where older, more experienced candidates are actually valued.

Age descrimination? Absolutely! If you compare BS to PharmD, why wouldn't a company want the most bang for their (ever decreasing) buck?

I am in my late 40s, live 30 minutes away from a city with 2 pharmacy schools, and I drive 1hr and 10 minutes to my job and I an grateful. I am lucky to have started a job March of this year after being laid off for 13 months. And only 2 interviews in those 13 months.

The only reason I even had a shot at my current position was because I have worked for and alongside the hiring pharmacist manager on and off for over 20 years. They texted me and asked me if I was still looking for work! Although I did my part when I helped them land a staff position in 2011 which they worked at until they got hired for the supervisor position.

I believe this will in all liklihood be my last job as a pharmacist, regardless of how long it lasts.

I have experience in independant retail, hospital, specialty pharmacy, LTC (staff, PIC, and consultant) and now as an oncology pharmacist. It just doesn't matter what your degree or experience is anymore, there are too many of us competing for jobs these days, period.

The plan is to start flipping houses again, as well as paying off the house in 6 years or so.

Reactions: 1 users
CVS is notorious for age discrimination lawsuits. Just look them up on google.

Pharmacy nowadays isn't a life-long career, it's a damn job..

You won't be able to retire, you'll be forced out and treated like trash...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My friend has a saying, "Mail order is where pharmacist go to die."

My friend has a saying, "Mail order is where pharmacist go to die."

It was my first job out of school! I'd probably still be there if they hadn't relocated and eventually shut down. Even though it turned a lot of lives upside-down, I have yet to hear anyone whoworked there say they regretted it.

Buy an existing store or start your own. 150 Rxs a day is enough to allow you a salary larger than the one you enjoy now as an employee and not too mention after you've done your "time" ,you'll have an asset to sell at the end of your career.

Reactions: 1 user