Pharmacology?

Started by JCS52585
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JCS52585

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello !

I had a question regarding choices in graduate level coursework as a post-bacc pre-med student.

This semester I am unable to take undergraduate coursework as a result of work commitments. Therefore, I have chosen to take 2 graduate level courses as work can accommodate the days they are offered (if it is pertinent, I have never taken graduate level courses).

I am looking at enrolling on two of the three, Biochemistry, Patho, and Pharm. I was thinking it would be beneficial for me to take Biochem at the undergrad level rather than the graduate level since it will bolster my uGPA and also include a lab. With that said I believe I should enroll in Patho and Pharm. I can see how Patho would be a suitable course but I wasn't sure about Pharmacology.

Any thoughts? I know little about what a pharmacology course would entail and if it would help me in any way shape or form.

Your insight is appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Hi, I am not a medical student yet, but I am currently a pharmacist. A basic course in pharmacology will probable include subjects such as pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. Taking biochemistry with pharmacology is a great way to go. Both courses will cover kinetics and physiological pathways/cycles. You will be able to gain a better understanding of how drugs work by understanding how the drugs affect enzymes and substrates. Along with understanding the possible side effects from altering these pathways/cycles. If you can take both do it.
 
Just to make sure, if you're finish with all of your UG courses, and have a UG degree, then any UG or grad course you take goes into your cGPA and the gGPA or post-bac GPA. that is to say, an UG course taken after you graduate does NOT change your undergrad GPA...that's fixed.

I suggest taking the Biochem prior to Pharm.

The order of all your coursework doesn't count, just how well you do in them.



Hello !

I had a question regarding choices in graduate level coursework as a post-bacc pre-med student.

This semester I am unable to take undergraduate coursework as a result of work commitments. Therefore, I have chosen to take 2 graduate level courses as work can accommodate the days they are offered (if it is pertinent, I have never taken graduate level courses).

I am looking at enrolling on two of the three, Biochemistry, Patho, and Pharm. I was thinking it would be beneficial for me to take Biochem at the undergrad level rather than the graduate level since it will bolster my uGPA and also include a lab. With that said I believe I should enroll in Patho and Pharm. I can see how Patho would be a suitable course but I wasn't sure about Pharmacology.

Any thoughts? I know little about what a pharmacology course would entail and if it would help me in any way shape or form.

Your insight is appreciated.
 
Do not take graduate level path without a very strong understanding of normal physio. If you take pharm and path, you may be better off as the understanding of the pathophysiology will coincide with treatment.

-cj8