Pharmacy a recession proof career.......

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Pharmcdc, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Pharmcdc

Pharmcdc Troches & lollipops

Pharmacist
    I found it interesting that MSN highlighted a career as a pharmacist as being a "recession proof" career. I am not an individual who feels the "need" to be called Dr. John Do, although I am passionate about the respect and perception of our profession. It would be nice for the general public to know what is required to become a pharmacist and the abilities acquired through education, training and experience. This subject has to be one of the most popular, so I wont get on a soap box, except to say that if you read the following article, notice how it reads that entry level is the pharmd (most people don’t know what that means) and if you read the part about becoming a lawyer, it is spelled out the years needed, and the degree earned "Juris Doctor” not simply JD or attorney. Furthermore, most people know what it takes to become a lawyer but yet the writer feels the need to explain. How many people outside of the profession (I have even had pharmacist ask me how long I had been in school and how much longer:eek:) know what a pharmd is and the schooling required to obtain said degree. Well, anyway read it if you like. I just found it "interesting". http://spotlight.encarta.msn.com/Features/encnet_Departments_CareerTraining_default_article_RecessionProofCareers.html?GT1=27001

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PharmDstudent

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    It looks like the author didn't do his pharmacy school homework. We all know that pharmacists have to attend pharmacy school to earn a Doctorate of Pharmacy, even though a bachelors of pharmacy degree used to be sufficient.

Also, it gets kind of hairy when people talk about how long it takes to finish pharmacy school, because it's more like three or four years of pharmacy school after two to four years of undergraduate classes. So it can take a minimum of five years, but it usually takes six to eight years to finish.

4. PharmDstudent

^^^
    Oh, and I don't want any of you smarties telling me that pharmacists can practice with a bachelors of pharmacy degree. We all know this already.

My point is just to say that we can't earn a bachelors of pharmacy in the US anymore.

5. JWells488

Pharmacy Student
    It seems like you guys are just looking for something to get angry about. I'll agree that many people have a simplistic perception about pharmacy, but I don't think that the author here is guilty of this at all. He's written a very brief sentence or two about the education required for pharmacists, and while he's not worshiping our hard work, I don't see how he's misrepresenting anything or diminishing our hard efforts in school.

Also, I didn't see where he said you could practice with a bachelor's degree.

6. MountainPharmD

MountainPharmD custodiunt illud simplex

Pharmacist
    Pharmcdc.....Do you reallly go to a school called the University of the Incarnate Word? I thought it was a joke but I looked it up and it seems to be real. Sorry for getting off topic I was just curious......

7. PharmDstudent

*The author oversimplified the education that's necessary, because it's confusing to outsiders.

You missed my point. Oh well. It happens.

8. medicalCPA

medicalCPA Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Yep. The University of the Incarnate Word is a Catholic university in San Antonio, Texas. See its website http://www.uiw.edu

9. JWells488

Pharmacy Student
    Didn't miss it. But, like you said, the education required for a pharmacist is "hairy". Unlike other professions with more rigid education standards that require 4 years of undergrad and a doctorate all the time, like the JD, there are a lot of RPhs practicing without a doctorate. Sure - the author could have gone into a lot more detail and explained all the scenarios for becoming a RPh and he certainly would have been respected more on this board, but my point is that going that far in depth might have been out of the scope of the article.

10. Requiem

Requiem Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Education for entry: Pharmacists must earn a Pharm.D. from an accredited college or pharmacy school. In order to practice, they must become licensed by passing the American Pharmacist Licensure Exam.

What is everyone talking about?

11. zohaibab

zohaibab Senior member

Pharmacy Student
    LOL! The world revolves around the southern half of North America apparently :rolleyes:.

12. Pharmcdc

Pharmacist
    I only have one word.....WOW. Yes, mountain I do attend The University of the Incarnate Word, and have loved every moment of it. I posted this article because as I stated, I found it interesting. I did not think that it would spawn such strong feelings. I dont believe the writer of the article was maliscious in any way, but my point was how pharmacy is so unclear to people outside of the profession from what a pharmacist does, to the education required. This was not about being "worshiped"; or to attack the writer; nor was it to get angry about anything.

I often come in contact with people who know very little about pharmacy and from reading posts here, many of you do as well. I saw this article not offensive in anyway, it was an opportunity to at least explain to readers very simply what a pharmd is, and the education required.................after all, that was done under the part about lawyers. Im not angry, sorry if you any of you are. Im sure this thread will die in another day or so and we can forget about it. I will end my comment by again saying.................wow:oops:

13. Pharmcdc

Pharmacist
    My point exactly. Probably 80%(purely conjecture, I think its a higher %) of the US does not know what "pharmd" means. I bet some US healthcare workers dont know. Again, I saw this as a missed opportunity, the entry could have read:
    education: minimum 2 years of undergraduate prerequisites, and 4 years of pharmacy school to obtain a doctor of pharmacy degree (pharmd) This is not asking too much. This would have educated a reader who may not have known what a pharmd is, or what it takes to aquire one. simple. I am not asking to be worshiped, has nothing at all to do with me period. Sorry to disappoint some of you, but most people dont read SDN pharmacy forums, and dont have time to waist on trivial things obviously like I do.:rolleyes: Lighten up guys, this forum is for information, fun, and discussions. I can easily talk about this and any other topic on this forum with a smile on my face, no anger here!:cool:

14. blueclassring

blueclassring Senior Member

Pharmacist
    A local grocery chain here in Phoenix recently laid off 15 pharmacists. It can and does happen. It is a sign of the economy. They did land jobs right away at WAGS and CVS

15. FruitFly

Moderator Emeritus

Letter to the editor, anyone?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. FruitFly

Moderator Emeritus

Grocery chains are much more in tune with the economy, as the bulk of sales are non-pharmacy related. And it's not really important, but I think I know which chain you're talking about.

18. jonnyboi303

Pharmacy Student
    hahaha I thought that same thing. Especially where it said Feik School of Pharmacy where I thought 'Feik" was a clever way of writing 'Fake'

19. MountainPharmD

MountainPharmD custodiunt illud simplex

Pharmacist
    Yeah, I thought that too.....When I first read it I also misread word as world....I thought it was a joke....You know the Fake School of the Incarnate World....

20. FruitFly

Moderator Emeritus

I think I'll just stick with Podunk U.

21. Addi

Sound Advice, I will take all this into consideration!

22. FruitFly

Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if the amounts of antidepressant scripts increased during this recession. There will always be prescriptions.

23. museabuse

museabuse Senior Member

Pharmacy Student
    I never heard of the school until I saw this article. I wanted to tell the prof, yes the shortage is over because so many private schools "diploma mills" opened up, including yours!

24. cloudlessblu110

Pharmacy Student

#22 cloudlessblu110, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010