Pharmacy Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brightstar17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All, can someone tell me what it means if your Pharmacy School application, response letter says your application is considered for the following year? Encouraging you to reapply...

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Hi All, can someone tell me what it means if your Pharmacy School application, response letter says your application is considered for the following year? Encouraging you to reapply...
You didn’t get accepted this year. Consider that as a blessing. The job market is not good for pharmacists that graduate after four years. Salaries have been cut in retail along with hours as many new grads are becoming grad interns instead of floaters and even full time staff. Pharmacy residents are finding it hard to get jobs even after a PGY-2 in their desired speciality as there is now a surplus of residents.

I would look into PA programs if you are interested in health care and after two years apply to their residency programs

Members don't see this ad :)
Smart strategy by pharmacy schools. Either admit students if they can take out $200k in loans, or encourage them to reapply next year (and thank them for their application fee). No more straight up rejections.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
basically saying, "our seats are thankfully full this year but please save your 6-figure payments for us the next cycle just in case we don't get enough naïve applicants"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You just cashed out your luck, run!!!

It means the lights are on but nobody's home.

• Haha
It means that you for some reason don't qualify for $200k+ in loans and to check again next year to see if you do.

It means that you for some reason don't qualify for $200k+ in loans and to check again next year to see if you do.
Either that or OP doesn't have a pulse

Credit check failed?

That must feel like being rejected as an organ donor. "sorry, thanks, but we've got enough kidneys..." LOL

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Sorry to hear that, but it means you didn't get accepted to school. Email the school now and ask them why you got denied and what can you improve to be a better candidate? If you are passionate about pharmacy apply to other school this cycle or wait until next year. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That is exactly what it means, just apply next year or look at chances at other schools.

If you are passionate about pharmacy apply to other school this cycle or wait until next year.

Nobody is passionate about pharmacy, quit kidding yourself.

• Love
I think pre-pharms confuse their passion for "observing what pharmacists do as a bystander in the pharmacy setting" with a "passion for pharmacy." Same deal as pre-meds who have a "passion for medicine" -- there is simply no way that you'll know if you actually have a passion for the field until you have worked as a licensed physician but by then it's already too late to switch out to something else.

"Passion for pharmacy" is now synonymous with "malignant masochistic tendencies". It is a psych diagnosis, not a vocational calling. Please seek professional help if you really think you are suffering from this.

I think pre-pharms confuse their passion for "observing what pharmacists do as a bystander in the pharmacy setting" with a "passion for pharmacy." Same deal as pre-meds who have a "passion for medicine" -- there is simply no way that you'll know if you actually have a passion for the field until you have worked as a licensed physician but by then it's already too late to switch out to something else.

Exactly. I gave up on trying to find my "passion". It's all just a huge rat race rigged by the elites. IMO the best thing you can do is just accept it, suffer through it, get to financial independence as fast as you can, then hope your health is good enough to enjoy what life you have left.

Exactly. I gave up on trying to find my "passion". It's all just a huge rat race rigged by the elites. IMO the best thing you can do is just accept it, suffer through it, get to financial independence as fast as you can, then hope your health is good enough to enjoy what life you have left.

EXACTLY. Maintaining quality of life (for yourself and those dependent on you) should be your goal. You owe pharmacy NOTHING and never will.

You need to stop jumping in every pharmacy discussion board and put students down because they chose pharmacy. Yes I am passionate about pharmacy even though I know the salary is down or there aren't a lot of jobs, but I am still PASSIONATE ABOUT PHARMACY!!!! So keep your advice to yourself.

You need to stop jumping in every pharmacy discussion board and put students down because they chose pharmacy. Yes I am passionate about pharmacy even though I know the salary is down or there aren't a lot of jobs, but I am still PASSIONATE ABOUT PHARMACY!!!! So keep your advice to yourself.
Please read this thread about "pharmacy passion" and answer us this: what exactly is pharmacy passion and why do you have a passion in it?

LOL passionate about pharmacy. I can't see how you can be passionate about pharmacy without working as a pharmacist. I think PharmD2021 has been feasting on whatever BS information the professors in school have been feeding them. Seeing how you are graduating in 2021, make sure to make all the interventions you can think of when you're doing your APPEs in hospitals. Talk to your preceptors and physicians and give them a piece of your mind. Then after you graduate, let us know how many hours you managed to get as a PRN floater.

• Haha

No one forced you to come here. You're a walking meme

Should I take the pharmacy technician exam? I’ll go to pharmacy school in 2021 and my trainee license expires in November 2020? Any advise or suggestions?

I was under the assumption you were graduating next year because most people reference their graduation year, not the year they enter pharmacy school... If you're working as a tech still, make sure to ask your pharmacist how easy it is to get a job nowadays. Good luck on your road to this passionate career of yours.

Wait, so your name is pharmD 2021 but you're not even in pharmacy school yet? Of lord, your name should be pharmD 2025!

Do you know what passionate means? I am passionate about skiing and will gladly pay $5,000 for a trip to Park City (when there's no pandemic) without batting an eye. Are you telling me that you'll gladly pay CVS $5,000 to work for them for free on your days off? Please - working in a pharmacy is the last place any pharmacist wants to be. Go to ANY pharmacist's job (retail, hospital, industry, ambulatory care etc) ten minutes before their shift is over and see how "passionate" they are to work those last ten minutes. The only thing they want is for those ten minutes to end so they can run out the door and leave work!

I was under the assumption you were graduating next year because most people reference their graduation year, not the year they enter pharmacy school... If you're working as a tech still, make sure to ask your pharmacist how easy it is to get a job nowadays. Good luck on your road to this passionate career of yours.

LoL who says pharmD 2021 when they won't be a pharmD until 2025!

• Haha
LoL who says pharmD 2021 when they won't be a pharmD until 2025!
Those with just a pulse and $200k+ in loan eligibility. You get what you pay for...

Are you telling me that you'll gladly pay CVS $5,000 to work for them for free on your days off? Please - working in a pharmacy is the last place any pharmacist wants to be. Go to ANY pharmacist's job (retail, hospital, industry, ambulatory care etc) ten minutes before their shift is over and see how "passionate" they are to work those last ten minutes. The only thing they want is for those ten minutes to end so they can run out the door and leave work!

And even then, they’ll still throw @PharmD 2021 into the busiest pharmacy with no tech help and be expected to give flu shots, etc. if they remain passionate about pharmacy then I will be impressed.

THANK YOU someone said it

Here come the trolls...

Now tell us, what is "pharmacy passion" and why do you have this "passion?"

I just commented on someone actually telling one of y’all buzzkills off. I don’t have the desire to say anything else

I just commented on someone actually telling one of y’all buzzkills off. I don’t have the desire to say anything else

Looks like some people can't handle the truth of reality. I'll see you back on this post near the end of the pharmacy school years. We can all laugh and joke about how blind you were while you create your CV/resume.

I was told off? We're all still waiting on a response to why you pre-pharms are passionate about pharmacy, because no working pharmacist is. It's amazing that pre-pharms are so passionate about it. All we've heard is silence!

I was told off? We're all still waiting on a response to why you pre-pharms are passionate about pharmacy, because no working pharmacist is. It's amazing that pre-pharms are so passionate about it. All we've heard is silence!

Because no one has to explain their life choices

Because no one has to explain their life choices
And yet here you pre-pharms are, posting questions to ask for advice on discussion boards. If someone is doing the favor of explaining to you that you've made a poor life choice by doing pharmacy then you have the obligation to explain why you think you made a great life choice. It's called two-way reciprocity. Otherwise half these threads would be completely dead. This isn't participation trophy central where you get to put in no work and expect to have someone else bring you steak on a platter.

And yet here you pre-pharms are, posting questions to ask for advice on discussion boards. If someone is doing the favor of explaining to you that you've made a poor life choice by doing pharmacy then you have the obligation to explain why you think you made a great life choice. It's called two-way reciprocity. Otherwise half these threads would be completely dead. This isn't participation trophy central where you get to put in no work and expect to have someone else bring you steak on a platter.

I’ve never asked for advice besides what are some pharmacy specialty recommendations. And that was a stupid question to ask because all you people talk about is “don’t do pharmacy.” Kinda makes somebody not want to say anything when all they get is the same lecture over and over.

I’ve never asked for advice besides what are some pharmacy specialty recommendations. And that was a stupid question to ask because all you people talk about is “don’t do pharmacy.” Kinda makes somebody not want to say anything when all they get is the same lecture over and over.
What's a stupid question to ask, "what is pharmacy passion" or "why are you passionate about pharmacy?" Those have to be the starting point of ANY pharmacy school /career question because it is the basis for if you are in it for legitimate reasons (in which case future conversations can be productive) or not (i.e. why would anyone give you a straight answer on "what pharmacy specialty recommendations you should do" when you're just in it for the money or fame). That is like telling an interviewer to not ask the "tell me about yourself" question during an interview with someone they don't know.

You're like a toddler. Even though parents warn you not to do something because of their own life experiences, you still end up doing it because of curiosity. Looks like you will learn from your mistake and learn the hard way. Curiosity killed the cat.

What's a stupid question to ask, "what is pharmacy passion" or "why are you passionate about pharmacy?" Those have to be the starting point of ANY pharmacy school /career question because it is the basis for if you are in it for legitimate reasons (in which case future conversations can be productive) or not (i.e. why would anyone give you a straight answer on "what pharmacy specialty recommendations you should do" when you're just in it for the money or fame). That is like telling an interviewer to not ask the "tell me about yourself" question during an interview with someone they don't know.

I meant that it was stupid of me to ask you people for recommendations on anything. 90% will say the same thing over and over.

I meant that it was stupid of me to ask you people for recommendations on anything. 90% will say the same thing over and over.

Yeah it is pretty stupid to ask for recommendations on anything if you don't want to listen. If you only want to listen to things you wish to hear and lies then go talk to admissions department at your pharmacy school

You are totally wrong because I have worked with many different pharmacists and almost all of them were so nice to customers and have passion about what they were doing. They even helped technicians with their work and made the work environment nice! May I ask what career did you choose?

You are totally wrong because I have worked with many different pharmacists and almost all of them were so nice to customers and have passion about what they were doing. They even helped technicians with their work and made the work environment nice! May I ask what career did you choose?

How does that exemplify passion?! They have to be nice to customers because if they don't, it takes just one phone call to corporate before their supervisor yells at them. Also, depending on which retail pharmacy it is, the customers are encouraged to fill out a survey and the pharmacy is graded on that. They help techs with their work because it falls inline with their work. All the fast food workers that took my order this week were so nice to me, I guess every single one of them have a passion to work there their entire life.

You don't know how hard I try to resist the urge to comment on these pre-pharmacy student comments but I can't control myself. Are you guys trolling or what? Any more face palms to myself and i'm gonna start leaving an imprint on my face.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
The single biggest difference between a student and a pharmacist is what you're accountable for. As a student, you have no accountability. You can freely choose to work or not work, and if you do work then you're not even held to the same standards as a tech since you're not full time. Get fired? No problem, find another internship or just not work - it's optional anyways. As a pharmacist it's the complete opposite. You have to clean up the mess your techs/interns leave you. You have to meet metrics. You can't just quit your job because you have bills to pay and no jobs to apply to. There is a wholesale change in philosophy that these pre-pharms won't understand, which is why they'll always have this blind "passion" for pharmacy which they always sidestep and never actually define. It's ridiculous, actually.

How does that exemplify passion?! They have to be nice to customers because if they don't, it takes just one phone call to corporate before their supervisor yells at them. Also, depending on which retail pharmacy it is, the customers are encouraged to fill out a survey and the pharmacy is graded on that. They help techs with their work because it falls inline with their work. All the fast food workers that took my order this week were so nice to me, I guess every single one of them have a passion to work there their entire life.

You don't know how hard I try to resist the urge to comment on these pre-pharmacy student comments but I can't control myself. Are you guys trolling or what? Any more face palms to myself and i'm gonna start leaving an imprint on my face.

I think y’all are the ones that “troll”

Do you know what passion means? What you described sounds like a typical day at work for them. They are just doing their job.

Here are some things I'm passionate about: spending time with friends & family, travel, scuba diving, dining out, going to concerts, golfing, skiing. These are all things I would pay money to do. I would not pay money to work in a pharmacy.

I'm a pharmacist but I don't BS about it. I did it mostly for the money. Now that school costs $200k and pharmacists get paid $45-50/hr at 30 hours per week or less in BFE, the money just isn't there anymore. It's not worth it.

Put another way, when pharmacy was at its peak, people were going in it for the money, sign-on bonuses and job stability, NOT because they were passionate about pharmacy. So why is it that once jobs, wages and workplace quality of life was cut, that pre-pharms are now "passionate" about pharmacy? Something smells fishy here.

Yes i have done research for pharmacists in my area. There is actually a growth for pharmacists in my area. What the other person fails to realize is that is the national average, not for every place in the United States. There are many different areas a person with a pharmacy degree can work, and I plan to dual degree in something like clinical research. I plan to ask during the interview if there’s a good chance I can get a residency or not. But with all the pandemic, I’m sure there’s a need for healthcare personnel. Not many people in my area go for pharmacy, so that’s why there’s a small growth for jobs.

You're the true troll here.

Here come the trolls...

Now tell us, what is "pharmacy passion" and why do you have this "passion?"
Technically, going to every pre-pharm forum to ask the same question is trolling. It would be the same as me going to every pharmacy forum and asking why you guys haven't gotten into computer science yet due to the better job prospects. Can't do that.

• Dislike
Put another way, when pharmacy was at its peak, people were going in it for the money, sign-on bonuses and job stability, NOT because they were passionate about pharmacy. So why is it that once jobs, wages and workplace quality of life was cut, that pre-pharms are now "passionate" about pharmacy? Something smells fishy here.
The truth is the people going into pharmacy school right now have no better options. That or dangerously extreme ignorance are the only explanation for spending 6-10 years in school to make less than a nurse in 2025.