pharmacy /age

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CYNTO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:luck: is a 32yr old kind of too old to start pharmacy school?.

plus i have a c in orgo 2. should i retake this class or substitute it by taking biochemistry?.

Members don't see this ad.

No way!! Not only am I going to be that age when I start, but there are many people who attend pharmacy school (even into their 50's) WOW!! :D If pharmacy is what you want to do then I say go for it!!

No...my Pharmacy mentor is 33 and is going to USC Pharm school right now...

Members don't see this ad :)

plus i have a c in orgo 2. should i retake this class or substitute it by taking biochemistry?.

you can think of it this way:

you'll be 36 when you finish, and the retirement age will be raised to at least 70 during our lifetime. that gives you a good 34 years to work as a pharmacist, which is greater than your age right now. go for it!

I will also be 32 years young when I apply to pharmacy school! :D

I’m 34 and I have recently applied for Pharmacy school. I can go to school and do something I think is way interesting and make great money or I can be a tech and make very little and always wonder why I didn’t pursue "the dream".
I know I have to do something because I don’t want to be asking my kids to pay my utility bills when I’m retirement age.
I say go for it! If I don’t get in this year I will reapply next year. If I’m 40 when I graduate so what!!! Since I plan on living to be 100 :D that’s not even middle age yet.
Follow your dreams and take action to make them happen.
GL

If that's what you want to do, then it really doesn't and shouldn't matter to you from your perspective. I haven't heard of any ageism in the admissions process.

You just have to consider that being back in school can stress you financially and personally. But if you have worked enough with good savings and credit, then the burden can be less. Getting back to school with a full day in classes after being out for so long can be demanding.

no, you're not too old! I'll be 32 or 33 when I apply. I'm 30 and working on my bachelor's right now

Only retake that class if it helps your GPA by a lot. If your GPA is decent, don't even worry about it. You would benefit more taking BioChem.

I disagree, in my opinion, all C's in prereqs for pharmacy school should be retaken, if you think you can get an A. If you can't get an A, don't try. You should take another class like Biochem, in addition to retaking the Ochem over, not as a replacement.

I would say that replacements are only valid, if you take a class that is next in the series. I remember going to an pharm school open house and the admission person said to take the next class in the series. So if you got a C in Ochem, take the next class which is Advance Organic Chemistry, or if you got a C in Intro to Physiology, take the next physiology class at your school. Also realize though that this is very risky because if you couldn't get an A in the intro Ochem or physio class, you might get screwed in the more advanced class.

I disagree, in my opinion, all C's in prereqs for pharmacy school should be retaken, if you think you can get an A. If you can't get an A, don't try. You should take another class like Biochem, in addition to retaking the Ochem over, not as a replacement.

I would say that replacements are only valid, if you take a class that is next in the series. I remember going to an pharm school open house and the admission person said to take the next class in the series. So if you got a C in Ochem, take the next class which is Advance Organic Chemistry, or if you got a C in Intro to Physiology, take the next physiology class at your school. Also realize though that this is very risky because if you couldn't get an A in the intro Ochem or physio class, you might get screwed in the more advanced class.

Thank you all so much for yr admonisions God bless you all . :luck:

i'm 22 and i feel like i'm too old to start haha...but that's considering everyone around me got into pharm school b/t ages of 18-20...so i'm lagging a bit:) and you, a lot :)

I can see you are truely a kid!!

Well, I think it depends upon the reason for the C. In my own experience, although not in pharmacy, I got a B- in the first semester of a PhD level statistics class. I had studied so hard for the other core class (stayed up two nights straight for measure theory and advanced probability where I actually got the A and the second highest grade in the class), that I was very tired, and did not do well on the final exam. And the second semester statistical inference PhD level I got an A-. I did nothing differently; I just had a bad test day (and our grade was determined by midterm and final counting 45% each and homework 10%).

So I am sure it could happen in undergrad organic chemistry as well. Everyone can have a bad day at some point.

Just take the next course, and if you did not understand it, go back over the material on your own to make sure that you do.

And no, you are not too old at all. A lady in my community college who had to start at college algebra and progress after two years to Calculus I (and studied hard just to get B in calc I), was admitted into the FIRST class ever at Palm Beach Atlantic. Of course, there was no calc on PCAT at the time, and little organic chemistry unlike now. She was age 42 as well. Even though I was auditing Calc I for review (I had AP in high school) and aced the tests (I took them for my own benefit), I really had appreciated her effort and tenacity. I believe that one can get PharmD if they want it badly enough!

So she had a goal for herself, and later she was in the Palm Beach Post newspaper after she had graduated with PharmD from PBA. It was really an inspiring story.

So I wish all the older students good luck! Of course, you can do it!

Look At All These Posts...you Have To Be Convinced By Know That You Are Not Old At All.......:)

I am now 33 years old and applying to pharm school. I feel i should done it sooner but my gpa was not good only 2.91 undergrad. I gone to grad school to earn a MS and got a 3.46 gpa. So I am applying to pharm school right now at 33yr old. It is my second time applying , didnt get in last year. I am not alone at this at am I?

I just started Pharmacy school and there's one woman in our class who's about 40.

Don't let age stop you from reaching your dreams!

The age range in my class is 21-56....yes, 56! Average is 31.