Pharmacy and industry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luke77

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm beginning to explore pharmacy and I'm much more interested in pharmacy careers in industry than the traditional retail pharmacy jobs. I'm wondering if anyone has information about the specifics (such as a detailed job description) of a typical pharmacist working in industry, say for a drug development company. I imagine that drug companies typically hire PhDs in biochemistry or moleclar biology to do drug development research, so I'm confused about what the role of a PharmD would be in a research setting. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Luke

Members don't see this ad.

PharmD's are generally more involved in the drug development pipeline with the later stages of drug developement. Thats not to say that you couldnt do drug discovery, but you'd have to do a fellowship after your degree.

You can go on to several of the drug companies websites and search based on degree or keywords. You should be able to come up with some job descriptions.

I want to work in indusrty as well...
However, my Pharmacy Orientation Seminar professor, who is a pharmacist and lawyer, told us that pharmaceutical companies will hiure you as a sales rep to start, and from there you could advance to research position... This was very discouraging - I don't want to be a sales rep!

Members don't see this ad :)
sexxygeek said:
I want to work in indusrty as well...
However, my Pharmacy Orientation Seminar professor, who is a pharmacist and lawyer, told us that pharmaceutical companies will hiure you as a sales rep to start, and from there you could advance to research position... This was very discouraging - I don't want to be a sales rep!
You should try to do some of your rotations at industry positions. I'd imagine that'd help you get a job besides sales. Also, if you want to do research you should consider a fellowship after you finish your pharmd.

patmcd said:
You should try to do some of your rotations at industry positions. I'd imagine that'd help you get a job besides sales. Also, if you want to do research you should consider a fellowship after you finish your pharmd.

thanks! I hope i'll get any industry rotations.. Unfortunetaly, LIU is very much retail-oriented school.

My mom was a pharmacist and she ended up as a director of Quality Assurance for Smithkline Beecham and worked there for thirty years. She loved it!! I also started in the marketing department and noticed a lot of the VP's were pharmacists as well. Most had MBA's as well though or doctorates in chemistry, etc. Hope that helps!!

I would also search the job listings of Pfizer, GSK, Lilly, etc to get a feel for job descriptions...

I know a person who got a Pharm.D. from UIC and worked as a clinical pharmacist for an year and a half. Then he became a field medical liaison for Bayer. He makes really good money and he travels a lot and make presentations.
- Dustin

JackFruitLover said:
I know a person who got a Pharm.D. from UIC and worked as a clinical pharmacist for an year and a half. Then he became a field medical liaison for Bayer. He makes really good money and he travels a lot and make presentations.
- Dustin

Sounds like a sweet gig.

I just left drug discovery in industry and the only options to do research are at the associate level. At my company there was little room for advancement if you don't have a phd + relevant work experience(i.e. lots of publications). Still, as an associate the pay is still pretty good(60-100k) and the research is pretty interesting (up to a point, you're still screening for drugs all day).

snakeone said:
I just left drug discovery in industry and the only options to do research are at the associate level. At my company there was little room for advancement if you don't have a phd + relevant work experience(i.e. lots of publications). Still, as an associate the pay is still pretty good(60-100k) and the research is pretty interesting (up to a point, you're still screening for drugs all day).

Just left drug discovery also, and there are no PharmDs in there.
Only PhDs.
As an associate in chemistry you'll never see 100K.
It took me 8 years to see 75K. I started at 35K with a Bachelors.
Where did you work? QA? I was in med chem.

Are either of you planning on returning to industry after you get your pharmd? If you are, what types of jobs are you looking for?