Pharmacy and Introversion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiomedeaExulans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what is the most introvert-friendly pharmacy setting/career.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Any ideas?

You're going to have a tough time even making it through pharmacy school if you can't get past the idea of talking to/in front of people. That said, I've heard mail order is particularly good for avoiding people but others who've actually worked mail order could give you a better answer there. Third shift hospital work is reasonably introvert friendly too.

aren't most pharmacy settings/careers introvert friendly?

Retail is pretty much the opposite of introvert friendly. You'll spend a substantial amount of time interacting with the public/docs/co-workers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go with mail order, LTC, or 3rd shift hospital pharmacy if you're capable of it.

Any ideas?
Haha. What a weird question. I'd go with hospital staff pharmacist though. It's amazing how socially awkward some of our pharmacists are, while others are great though. Most of the time the pharmacy will be in the hospital's basement, no windows and you will be doing order entry while fielding phone calls. I would think that is an introverts dream. Don't see why this would appeal to someone, but to each their own.

It depends on how introverted you are...

If you're really introverted, then a tiny hospital or mail order is probably the way to go.

I'm fairly introverted, and I work overnight retail. It's enough interaction for me without being too draining.

Whenever I worked at a big hospital during the day it was pretty draining. There was always someone saying "hello" in the hallways and elevators or staring at you in the cafeteria. Bleh.

Haha. What a weird question. I'd go with hospital staff pharmacist though. It's amazing how socially awkward some of our pharmacists are, while others are great though. Most of the time the pharmacy will be in the hospital's basement, no windows and you will be doing order entry while fielding phone calls. I would think that is an introverts dream. Don't see why this would appeal to someone, but to each their own.
What a typical extroverted response! Thanks for making introverts feel great... :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user

Depends on the hospital.

I would say mail order is your best bet. Specifically, the prodiction side.

What a typical extroverted response! Thanks for making introverts feel great... :rolleyes:
Actually I'm more of an introverted person....Not to the point of avoiding human interaction, like you are apparently...but like I already said, to each their own...you must have missed that part.

I think it would depend on how introverted, and then other parts of someones personality. Introverted doesn't mean you're a shut in, and it's not the same as being shy and socially awkward. General Patton was an introvert and he certainly had to deal with a lot of people...

I would definitely be more of an introvert. More reserved and not incredibly outgoing, but have no trouble talking in front of big groups or to people in general. I'm definitely social but would rather hang out with a medium size group of friends than a giant crowded party. I have no issues with either side of pharmacy (quieter hospital staff vs talking to people non-stop in retail).

My issue (and it is one that I am working on diligently) is that people annoy me with small talk/screwing off at work. I prefer to get the job done and not hear any long, drawn out stories about your teething child or some event you went to last night. Don't get me wrong, I still interact well with others and I can be good at small talk. But, deep down, it sorta annoys the hell out of me. I won't go into it too much because I don't want to derail the thread...I guess I can be somewhat of a loner (by choice). I find it hard to truly relate to people - and I don't mean just passing in the elevator. I mean on a deep personal level. I feel like I approach situations or think about things differently than others. For example, when I worked retail back in 2004, the techs would complain about all the old, bitchy patients. I just had compassion for their situation- they live alone, don't have family, can't see well, etc. So, the techs would laugh at my "softness". I sometimes get the same crap where I work now with similar things. Some techs who want to make a point to some other tech will not deliver a med to the outpatient infusion center (where the patient is probably anxiously waiting) so they can essentially "force" the tech they don't like to do it. I can't stand that ****. I think about what that patient is going through and how much it must suck to wait. So I end up doing extra or going out of my way and, in the end, I get taken advantage of. Then I resent it.

/long story

Point is, I'm not fake when it comes to friendships so I don't play the "friends at work" sorta thing too much. Besides, I am there to work and help patients. Not make friends. If I happen to make a friend along the way, then that's great. But, I won't go out of my way to share my life with people because that's "what people do". I like keeping my life sorta private from my co-workers. I guess that could SORTA make me an introvert :shrug:

My issue (and it is one that I am working on diligently) is that people annoy me with small talk/screwing off at work. I prefer to get the job done and not hear any long, drawn out stories about your teething child or some event you went to last night. Don't get me wrong, I still interact well with others and I can be good at small talk. But, deep down, it sorta annoys the hell out of me. I won't go into it too much because I don't want to derail the thread...I guess I can be somewhat of a loner (by choice). I find it hard to truly relate to people - and I don't mean just passing in the elevator. I mean on a deep personal level. I feel like I approach situations or think about things differently than others. For example, when I worked retail back in 2004, the techs would complain about all the old, bitchy patients. I just had compassion for their situation- they live alone, don't have family, can't see well, etc. So, the techs would laugh at my "softness". I sometimes get the same crap where I work now with similar things. Some techs who want to make a point to some other tech will not deliver a med to the outpatient infusion center (where the patient is probably anxiously waiting) so they can essentially "force" the tech they don't like to do it. I can't stand that ****. I think about what that patient is going through and how much it must suck to wait. So I end up doing extra or going out of my way and, in the end, I get taken advantage of. Then I resent it.

/long story

Point is, I'm not fake when it comes to friendships so I don't play the "friends at work" sorta thing too much. Besides, I am there to work and help patients. Not make friends. If I happen to make a friend along the way, then that's great. But, I won't go out of my way to share my life with people because that's "what people do". I like keeping my life sorta private from my co-workers. I guess that could SORTA make me an introvert :shrug:
I dont think that makes you introverted. It makes you selectively sociable.lol. No, I'm pretty much the same way though. Now, these techs at your hospital where you work, are they pre-pharm/pharm students, or lifers? My experience at our hospital is MOST of the lifers, who have been techs for 5+ years are only there for a paycheck. They really don't care if the meds reach the floor for the 5 o'clock delievery or the 11 o'clock. They don't care if there are 5 used crash carts waiting to be refilled, or not enough Open heart totes, or if they take their good old time making a precedex drip when they know ER/OH is waiting for it. It's sad, because they really forget why they are there, and how their actions ultimately affect patients. Sorry for the rant, but that stuff bugs the s*** out of me.

Members don't see this ad :)

Any ideas?

I'd say I'm fairly introverted and I feel comfortable working at an independent. Once you know your coworkers, you won't have to worry about new people coming in to cover someone's shift. If someone's covering a shift, it'll usually be a different coworker, whom you already know.

OP, do you feel comfortable around people you know very well?

It takes some time to get adjusted to working at an independent, since everyone else there may seem like they're a little family already, but once you get to know them and stuff, you'll be a part of it too.

My thing is that I become extremely extroverted after I find my comfort zone. If you didn't know me, you'd think I was introverted to the point of concentrated autism. But with all things, after some cool down time I can go back to being an introvert when things become routine.

I am a total introvert. For those of you who don't know what goes in introvert's mind read this:

Revenge of the introvert

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201008/revenge-the-introvert

Well I guess I'm a total introvert too.

Sometimes I notice that when patients ask questions and they have concerns, I'll talk to them without getting nervous. But at school, I feel nervous trying to go talk to a classmate I've never seen or an upper class student I've never met.

I dont think that makes you introverted. It makes you selectively sociable.lol. No, I'm pretty much the same way though. Now, these techs at your hospital where you work, are they pre-pharm/pharm students, or lifers? My experience at our hospital is MOST of the lifers, who have been techs for 5+ years are only there for a paycheck. They really don't care if the meds reach the floor for the 5 o'clock delievery or the 11 o'clock. They don't care if there are 5 used crash carts waiting to be refilled, or not enough Open heart totes, or if they take their good old time making a precedex drip when they know ER/OH is waiting for it. It's sad, because they really forget why they are there, and how their actions ultimately affect patients. Sorry for the rant, but that stuff bugs the s*** out of me.

Most of them are lifers. They just get so catty and are always worrying about what everyone else is/isnt doing. I hate getting sucked up into the drama of it so I just stay focused on my work when it gets like that.

I can definitely warm up to people and I am pretty extroverted when that happens. It just happens less at work haha

I'm not socially awkward or scared of talking to people. I just prefer my own company. Considering the job market, my question is probably irrelevant, since by the time I graduate, I'd just have to take whatever is available. regardless of how well it fits my personality..

Anyways, thank you for your comments.

Well I guess I'm a total introvert too.

Sometimes I notice that when patients ask questions and they have concerns, I'll talk to them without getting nervous. But at school, I feel nervous trying to go talk to a classmate I've never seen or an upper class student I've never met.

I feel the same way. If someone needs help and asks me, I'll help. But social things freak me out. On thursday, my old english teacher said hi but I don't know why I just pretended i didn't hear. LOL, and the guy next to me who i was talking to at the same time says me to, "she made a face when you didn't answer" after she walked past us. on friday i said hi but she was talking to other students so...

tomorrow i'll try again lol..fml

I feel the same way. If someone needs help and asks me, I'll help. But social things freak me out. On thursday, my old english teacher said hi but I don't know why I just pretended i didn't hear. LOL, and the guy next to me who i was talking to at the same time says me to, "she made a face when you didn't answer" after she walked past us. on friday i said hi but she was talking to other students so...

I had a professor in high school (he had a PhD) who frowned upon a student who didn't say "hi" back after he even smiled and tried to talk to the student. It was very obvious that the professor felt disrespected.

Sometimes in pharmacy school, I'll try to say 'hi' to professors and pharmacists who say 'hi' to me, even if I have never seen them before. Sometimes it's not hard to want to say 'hi' back because some of the pharmacists are young and.... well, you know where I'm going with this :laugh:

Last edited:
i had a professor in high school (he had a phd) who frowned upon a student who didn't say "hi" back after he even smiled and tried to talk to the student. It was very obvious that the professor felt disrespected.

Sometimes in pharmacy school, i'll try to say 'hi' to professors and pharmacists who say 'hi' to me, even if i have never seen them before. sometimes it's not hard to want to say 'hi' back because some of the pharmacists are young and.... Well, you know where i'm going with this :laugh:
....hot! Y..ePP;)

But social things freak me out. On thursday, my old english teacher said hi but I don't know why I just pretended i didn't hear. LOL, and the guy next to me who i was talking to at the same time says me to, "she made a face when you didn't answer" after she walked past us. on friday i said hi but she was talking to other students so...

No growth in your safe zone and no safety in your growth zone: force yourself to talk to people.