Pharmacy and Patient Interaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedKnight

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard from various sources (including talking with my admissions counselor), being sociable and talking seems to be an important part of pharmacy, but based on what I encountered in my three months of volunteering in a hospital and some retail based experience, there doesn't seem to be too much interaction with patients unless an issue comes up. Is this "sociable" aspect more in reference to Clinical Pharmacists and the like and not so much Retail or Staff Pharmacists? Any feedback would be great.

I'm trying to complete my personal essay, and I'm not sure if I should make it more generalized, or mention the fact that I am prepared to converse with patients while still acknowledging that may not be what I do once I graduate, if that makes any sense.

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience as a technician at a retail pharmacy, there is a somewhat of patient interaction in my opinion. Most of the time, they ask what otc products to recommend and stuff like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retail is pretty social, I've heard that hosp good not as much

Retail gives you plenty of social interaction.

However, be warned that it might not be the type of interaction you are looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
Techs (if you have good ones) will do most of the interacting, unless it's out of their scope. If it's a larger pharmacy, the interaction will be less. Our pharmacy does about 2200/wk and the pharmacists help out wherever they're needed during busy times or when it's short staffed so there's a lot more interaction.

I'm a weird one, I'm an introvert to the core, but I absolutely love my pharmacy in all of its crazy retailness.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Retail is very social. It will teach you more patience and diplomacy than you ever hoped to learn.

Reactions: 1 users
Retail is tons more sociable as a tech, and even as a pharmacist especially compared to hospital pharmacy unless you are a Consulting Pharmacist. Mind you retail can definitely be more stressful, it takes a special someone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk