Pharmacy and Public Health Degrees

Started by wizedel
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wizedel

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anyone has a wealth of knowledge in joint PHarmD and MPH degrees can you please share with me what job and/or other opportunities are out there for people with this background?
Thanks
 
I am about to have an MPH and then I will start pharmacy school in the fall. In one of my grad school classes, we had a speaker who was an MD epidemiologist that works for the CDC. After class I asked her about opportunities for pharmacists and she said there are lots of opportunities. She didnt go into detail about all of the possible opportunities because she didnt know herself but she did say they were in the middle of hiring a pharmacist to work on their epi team. I think that sounds like a really cool job for a pharmacist. Hope this helps!
 
She may have been an Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) officer. I met a few when I worked at CDC one summer. It seems like most of the EIS officers are physicians but they have hired a few pharmacists in the past.

Here is a link to the profile of a former EIS officer who is a pharmacist:

http://www.cdc.gov/eis/about/hayslett.htm
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently pursuing a PharmD/MPH dual degree and I am a PY2 in pharmacy school but only a 1st year in the MPH program. My school is in the process creating the dual degree between the College of Pharmacy and hte College of Public health and till then I ma simply doing the two simultaneously but separately. This summer once it gets approved I will join the actual 'joint degree program'. I plan to finish both in 2009 when I finsih my pharmD since no one else has done it at my school before I dont know exaclty how things will work yet. I love the program becasue it fits mwith my future goals nad plans etc., but it is extra work so you will work a lot harder than your class mates. But I think it is a great fit for me. PM me if you want to know specifics.
Good Luck with your endevours!
:luck: