Pharmacy Biochemistry

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by DoctorRx1986, May 11, 2008.

1. DoctorRx1986

Pharmacy Student
    As an incoming P1 student, I'd like to know what pharmacy biochemistry is like. As a pre-pharmacy student, general chemistry and organic chemistry courses focused on problem solving and using one reagent and reaction condition to get from product A to product B. This was the general format of questions in organic chem and general chem involved equations and math. Likewise, what exactly is biochem in pharmacy school like? Will it involve those types of questions involving figuring out the product to a reaction or what? Will it simply consist of learning about properties of biomolecules without actual questions similar to organic? I guess what I'm trying to say is whether pharmacy biochem is more of a problem-solving course such as the undergrad chemistry or more of a biology course involving memorization, understanding concepts, and not as much problem solving.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member
    Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    Its more about learning about cellular process (ie: respiration), cell structures, and receptor s.

4. mike36

Pharmacist
    Ours was heavy on enzyme mechanisms and metabolic pathways.

5. rxlynn

rxlynn Senior Member

Pharmacy Student
    Virtually no problems - very heavy on metabolism, cells, enzymes, etc.

6. fenixtnlfan

fenixtnlfan P2 Wildcat
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    It probably depends how your school sets up biochem and the profs. I took the biochem taken by pharm students here because it was required for my major. The first half of the course was applied questions (what happens in this case, draw a graph, etc), but the second half was pure regurgitation of pathways and diseases (like enzyme A activates enzyme B and does this).

7. firefighter9015

firefighter9015 It's not THAT kind of study hour...

Pharmacy Student
    Ours was about 99% memorization and then a few cases thrown in for good measure. But it probably varies from school to school.

8. amartins02

amartins02 Senior Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yea it's definitely based on the professor. Ours was the nicest guy. He would tell us what to study for and only teach us what we needed to know. He wasn't about having us remember mindless info. He would say he didn't want us to remember now and forget later so he only taught us the important topics.

9. b*rizzle

b*rizzle Master of Useless Info

Pharmacist
    Ditto...that's why people who barely pass orgo don't fail out of pharmacy school because of biochem, thank goodness.:)

10. Knipps

Knipps In a 6 year program

Supposedly Biochem is even worse than Orgo at my school :scared:

11. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    memorize, dump, repeat.

12. firefighter9015

firefighter9015 It's not THAT kind of study hour...

Pharmacy Student
    Glad I wasn't the only one doing that! :p

13. Alkylholic

Pharmacy Student

HA, that sounds like my Organic Chem classes. I kept hearing these horror stories about that course, but I had me a pen and some flash cards and it went pretty damn smooth actually.

Does pharm school have a lot memorization like that involved?

Also is there a lot of info that you can afford to just dump? I figured I would actually try to put full effort into KNOWING everything, instead of half assing it like in OChem. Or is that even possible with the amount of info you learn at one time?

14. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    There are some classes that are straight memorization like that, but usually there is only one or two courses a year like that. As far as knowing everything, I'm pretty sure knowing every step of the electron transport chain isn't going to help me in my daily practice, so I figure I can afford to forget most of it.

15. Fuzzychickens

Pharmacy Student
    You know, more teachers should follow that tactic. You know what to study for, what to learn, and in the end you forget less of what you learned over time.