Pharmacy Career Questions (Hours, Residencies, etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmstudent2019

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I am currently a pharmd student and am just thinking into the future and what I want to do for my career in pharmacy.

To start off, I definitely believe I do not want to do retail. The 12 hr shifts aren't very appealing to me, but as I learn more about the different aspects of pharmacy, I'm realizing I might not have a choice.

So to get to my questions:
1. I want to know if clinical pharmacy is more of "normal" hours, like 7-3 or 9-5. Or even consultant pharmacy
2. Is it possible to become a clinical pharmacist without a residency?
3. Is it even possible to get any type of pharmacy job without retail experience?

Thank you.
 
Of course nothing is absolute but it is already difficult to get a clinical position without a residency. As a matter of fact, 2 year residency is becoming more common.

I always tell prospective students not to go into pharmacy unless they have worked in retail and they see themselves doing retail for the next 30 years. Why? Because the vast majority of the jobs are still in retail (or retail related). That is not going to change any time soon.

In addition, it is getting difficult to get a retail pharmacist position in the city unless you have interned for them. Retail used to be everyone's back up plan. Not anymore.
 
I don't get all the hate on retail. I have worked retail the past 4 years. Personally I prefer 12 hr shifts and work less days a week. That's just me. I would have having a 9-5 M-F job.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't get all the hate on retail. I have worked retail the past 4 years. Personally I prefer 12 hr shifts and work less days a week. That's just me. I would have having a 9-5 M-F job.

It's different when you're an intern. Working 12 hours in retail as a pharmacist is draining. Very few retail places close for lunch. 30 min in a 12 hours is not enough. Now imagine working 12 hours without any meaningful breaks.
 
It's different when you're an intern. Working 12 hours in retail as a pharmacist is draining. Very few retail places close for lunch. 30 min in a 12 hours is not enough. Now imagine working 12 hours without any meaningful breaks.
This is true. At least where I work the pharmacy does close for lunch and pass 6 or so it's not terribly busy at all. I know this will vary. Although when I worked at another chain and we did about 500 a day pass 7 o clock it was pretty calm.
 
At my store we do >500 a day but we're also open 24 hours so after 8pm we're the only place in town to get your 512s.

I wouldn't do 12hour days at my store, nights on the other hand would be perfect.

I mean nights are terrible. No one apply for night shifts.