cellardoor6

7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I don't want to get into too much detail, but has anyone here ever had to send a response to the board about a complaint someone has made against you? I am freaking myself out and wonder if this is rare and if anyone has any experiences. Thanks in advance...

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't want to get into too much detail, but has anyone here ever had to send a response to the board about a complaint someone has made against you? I am freaking myself out and wonder if this is rare and if anyone has any experiences. Thanks in advance...
Not yet.....

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Yes, it scares the crap out of you. Patient came into the store and presented a prescription for Serevent. Patient had been on Advair, but the steroid had caused his IOP to increase and the ophthalmologist wanted him off all glucocorticoids.

After consulting with the patient, I suggested he speak with the doctor about an alternative as his asthma was not severe enough to incur the risks associated with LABA w/o a corticosteroid. Patient asked what the alternatives might be and I said Singulair was one alternative, but he should contact the MD.

Patient calls the MD, who then called me and accused me of practicing Medicine with out a license. He freaked out and yelled and screamed and then he reported me to the State Board.

I had to meet the State Board Inspector and give a statement. Of course the jerk-off doctor would not meet with the Inspector. After a few months I get a letter from the Attorney General's Office saying I'm in the clear.

The patient was so pissed off he left the doctor and stayed with me.

Moral of the story, if you didn;t do anything wrong, it will all work out just fine....

genesis09

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
They once had a member of the state board talk with us. They said a good number of the cases lead to nowhere. If you ever get contacted, be honest and give a full recount of what occurred.

cellardoor6

7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
That is a ridiculous story, Old Timer. I hope my situation ends in a similar way.
I've worked in retail as an intern or pharmacist for about 5 years and have had virtually no complaints of any nature. This complaint is based upon something I supposedly said when counseling which I am sure was taken out of context or was something I never said, but not being able to recall this specific event doesn't help. I'm going to try not to lose sleep over this...

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
Yes, it scares the crap out of you. Patient came into the store and presented a prescription for Serevent. Patient had been on Advair, but the steroid had caused his IOP to increase and the ophthalmologist wanted him off all glucocorticoids.

After consulting with the patient, I suggested he speak with the doctor about an alternative as his asthma was not severe enough to incur the risks associated with LABA w/o a corticosteroid. Patient asked what the alternatives might be and I said Singulair was one alternative, but he should contact the MD.

Patient calls the MD, who then called me and accused me of practicing Medicine with out a license. He freaked out and yelled and screamed and then he reported me to the State Board.

I had to meet the State Board Inspector and give a statement. Of course the jerk-off doctor would not meet with the Inspector. After a few months I get a letter from the Attorney General's Office saying I'm in the clear.

The patient was so pissed off he left the doctor and stayed with me.

Moral of the story, if you didn;t do anything wrong, it will all work out just fine....
The idiots we have to deal with far out number then intelligent ones.

Something similar happened to my partner. He was presented with a prescription for Darvocet at 8:30 pm. There was no DEA number written on the prescription. He decide to fill the prescription and call to verify the DEA number in the morning. The prescription was for one of our regular patients from a Doctor who is a block away whose DEA number we had on file in the computer. He calls the office in the morning and some stupid nurse goes off on him for filling a script without the Docs DEA number on it. She refused to give it to him and reported him to the state board. Like OldTimer the board had to investigate and he had to write a statement. In the end the end they cleared him.

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
That is a ridiculous story, Old Timer. I hope my situation ends in a similar way.
I've worked in retail as an intern or pharmacist for about 5 years and have had virtually no complaints of any nature. This complaint is based upon something I supposedly said when counseling which I am sure was taken out of context or was something I never said, but not being able to recall this specific event doesn't help. I'm going to try not to lose sleep over this...
There is no way to prove you did anything wrong. If you cannot recall the incident tell the inspector that. Don't add anything and don't make anything up.

cellardoor6

7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
There is no way to prove you did anything wrong. If you cannot recall the incident tell the inspector that. Don't add anything and don't make anything up.
That's why it was hard writing a statement. I haven't sent it in yet, but I flat out state in the beginning that I don't recall this particular instance but go on about how I have not counseled other patients this way on this med in the past. Do you think that would be appropriate?

I just want this to be over already. What is with MDs reporting pharmacists? I believe it was the MD also in my case because they called and yelled at another pharmacist I work with over what was supposedly stated, and I don't think we ever heard from the patient directly.

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
That's why it was hard writing a statement. I haven't sent it in yet, but I flat out state in the beginning that I don't recall this particular instance but go on about how I have not counseled other patients this way on this med in the past. Do you think that would be appropriate?
That is what I would write. The less you write the better. If you do not recall the incident I would send in your statement above. "I don't recall this particular instance and have not counseled other patients this way on this med in the past."