Pharmacy course exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your experience, what kind of exams are more prevalent in pharmacy school? Essay? Multiple choice? Mix? Or are exams replaced with recitations in many courses?

Members don't see this ad.

ethyl said:
In your experience, what kind of exams are more prevalent in pharmacy school? Essay? Multiple choice? Mix? Or are exams replaced with recitations in many courses?

Maybe this should be asked in the pharmacy forum instead...?

ethyl said:
Mostly MC and T/F. We've had a little bit of everything though. Some of our MC have been A-J, so it's not like they're easy. It just makes the grading easier for the faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with MC but fill in the blank and short answer are all quite popular. One of our Principles of Drug Action exams was ESSAY!!

I'm a P-2 and I wish I could tell you a straight answer. I took my pharmacokinetics final today. The sample exams for the last two years were fillled with complicated problems, so I stayed up all last night (didn't sleep a wink) going over and over how to do the problems. I got the exam today, and it was 90% ESSAY. All of them 10 or 15 point questions, and half the time I didn't know what he was asking. I just pray that I passed the course. Waiting a year to repeat a course would be bad enough...but having to take that particular course again I think would kill me. Basically at my school, they seem out to get you. Whatever is emphasized in class is not on tests, but the footnote within a footnote on a random page in a textbook will be worth mega points.

It's a mix of things. Essay are the easiest because you always get some points. It's not all or nothing. We don't get many of those, though because of the sheer volume of tests to grade. The TA's end up grading them and then you have to argue for points.

True false aren't bad, but they rarely give you one choice. It's always in pairs or redone as a multiple choice.

I find multiple choice to be the trickiest. Your choices are usually, A, B, C, D, E, A + B, C+ D, all of the above, none of the above, etc. You might think a drug choice is correct, but then they will change the dose of a drug from 150mg to 300mg and you'll miss it because your eyes are glazing over by that point.

My favorite are matching. Unfortunately, those are rare.