Pharmacy doubts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonhosDaVida

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing about how the pharmacy field will be saturated in the next few years. Should I continue pursuing my PharmD or should I switch to a med degree? Costs for school are a big issue. My dream is to go to Baylor Medical School. What would te outlook for me if I got my PharmD, worked for 2/3 years and then took the MCAT to try to go to Baylor med? And is the dermatology field really hard to get into? I'm a newbie and new to this, so I hope my questions dot annoy anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend against getting a PharmD. It's not worth it anymore. Here are the facts. Large number of new pharmacy schools as well as expanded class sizes of older schools. This is causing fierce competition among schools for students. Because of this, being eligible for federal/private student loans is more important than GPA. Nowadays, you can get in with a 2.5.

I'm glad you're taking cost of school as a big consideration. This is important. Tuition is increasing every year. Most likely you will graduate between $190K-$250K or more, depending on many factors (undergrad, pharmacy school, work, living expenses, lifestyle, etc.). Many students make the mistake of not taking interest rates into account. Your total repayment will be significantly higher than when you graduate.

Getting a Pharmd then MD is a complete waste of money and time.

Reactions: 1 user
Obrigado por teu opinião. Thanks for your opinion. So you advice for me to transfer out of the pharmacy school and go to a regular undergrad and then go to med school? The only reason I didn't go to a regular undergrad was because I heard of so many people that did the premed route but didn't end up making it. I was afraid that I would not be smart enough to make it. So I went the pharmacy route and am now in a 0-6 year program.

Members don't see this ad :)
med school/ PA/ or NP----it's the way of the future. I don't see pharmacists getting more compensation, just more responsibilities.

What is np? So the future for pharmacists isn't too bright?

But more cvs/walgreens/etc will be open, so retail pharmacy market won't be over saturated with potential pharmacists, but nt enough positions?

But more cvs/walgreens/etc will be open, so retail pharmacy market won't be over saturated with potential pharmacists, but nt enough positions?

I dont think CVS and Walgreens are expanding much, if at all. If your dream is to go to medical school, go to medical school. The outlook for physicians is definitely better

If MD is your end goal don't waste time going for PharmD first, waste of time and tuition money. School aint cheap, get the degree you want the shortest and cheapest way possible.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the grass is always greener on the other side so take that into consideration when reading posts stating how much better another profession is.

That said, your dream is med school, as you stated. If that's truly the case, don't dally and waste your time and money with pharmacy. Get into med school!

I am stuck in a 0-6 year pharm program in New York. I can't just transfer to med school or pre med undergrad that easily.

Can you transfer somewhere to complete your four year degree? That seems like your best bet.

Obrigado por teu opinião. Thanks for your opinion. So you advice for me to transfer out of the pharmacy school and go to a regular undergrad and then go to med school? The only reason I didn't go to a regular undergrad was because I heard of so many people that did the premed route but didn't end up making it. I was afraid that I would not be smart enough to make it. So I went the pharmacy route and am now in a 0-6 year program.

if your are already in pharmacy school, stay where you are and graduate first :)

... I heard of so many people that did the premed route but didn't end up making it...

A premed degree makes you qualified to apply to med school, and nothing else. It's a dumb move. The real world doesn't care about a premed degree, and many med schools don't either. Get a real degree if you want to show med school that you're a real candidate. Get a communications degree and write your application essay about bedside manner and health literacy obstacles.

This will ultimately be up to you but if you have strong interest in pursuing medicine, then maybe that's what you need to do.