Pharmacy education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kals123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I really want to be a pharmacist but I'm really confused! Would it be okay to go to Sierra College (community) then transfer to California Northstate University College of Pharmacy. I don't understand why everyone says don't go to CC. Pharmacists make bannkk, I've always been interested in medicine and helping people so I think this career choice is good. Need help!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I really want to be a pharmacist but I'm really confused! Would it be okay to go to Sierra College (community) then transfer to California Northstate University College of Pharmacy. I don't understand why everyone says don't go to CC. Pharmacists make bannkk, I've always been interested in medicine and helping people so I think this career choice is good. Need help!!

Wrong forum location? Also, why don't you ask the advisers at Northstate if they're ok with Sierra college.

pharmacy =/= medicine in terms of professional descriptions. You may want to direct this question to the pharmacy forums (or a mod move?)

I don't know that CC is going to hurt your chances significantly assuming you enter a 4 year and do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most pharmacy schools have no problem accepting you after your second year at a community college. Also pharmacy is becoming very saturated, so don't expect your salary to be high, but your debt will still be high.

Most pharmacy schools have no problem accepting you after your second year at a community college. Also pharmacy is becoming very saturated, so don't expect your salary to be high, but your debt will still be high.

oh no, every single one of them has a walgreens job paying 150k waiting for them. The store managers are handing out the keys and ID badges after commencement ;) :laugh:

oh no, every single one of them has a walgreens job paying 150k waiting for them. The store managers are handing out the keys and ID badges after commencement ;) :laugh:

Retail pharmacy is so boring though. I don't understand how anyone can possibly be interested in retail. Other than being able to get some patient contact and provide assistance to patients but even that will go so far.

My buddy just graduated from Lecom-Bradenton's pharm program and got a job back home. This is what he's said:

It's very over saturated right now but I was fortunate to get two job offers... One with Rite Aid and one with Ridleys... I took the Ridleys position and will be working 60 hours per week once I'm licensed this summer.... This debt is a bitch. I'll be living like a poor man for awhile.

My tuition plus living expenses totaled 180,000 for professional school. My estimated loan payments will be around $2000 monthly. Working 60 hours per week will help get this paid off quickly but I'll tell you man sometimes I wonder if I was better off making $20 an hour for the govt before pharm school with no debt. I'm sure someday it will be worth it but I'm going to be living fairly ****ty until my mid 30s. I tell tori that it's a blessing and a curse to be in the healthcare profession. At least we can all say we are self sufficient and are helping society when we're done. Thats my two cents.
:thumbdown:

Don't go to sierra, go to ARC, much better and they have pre-pharm clubs and stuff so you can get some good ECs as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.