Pharmacy Experience Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alright so I'm starting to freak out about this a little bit because my application deadline is in December, but I'm wondering what is more important on the application: pharmacy work experience or pharmacy volunteer experience?

The problem is that I have worked in a hospital pharmacy for about 2.5 years but have almost no volunteer experience since I was at work and school so much! (avg. 24 hours/week + 17 credit workload normally, and 32-40 hours/week + ~8 credit workload during the summer). Is this something that will look bad on my application or will the volunteering not matter so much because I have been actually working at a pharmacy?

Also, does anyone know how far back you can go with volunteer experience on PharmCAS? I have about 150 hours of pharmacy volunteer experience but it's about 2 years old...

I realize that this all depends on which school I'm applying to but I just want some outside advice about this. :) Thanks!

Work>volunteering, imo. Varies by school of course. Volunteering shows well-roundedness as a person, Pharmacy work experience shows commitment to the field. I don't think including pharmacy volunteering will help you much sense it is so old and you have extensive work experience. If you have other volunteering experiences that are not pharmacy related include those. Being well-rounded is a plus on these types of applications.

Members don't see this ad.

I have just started my undergraduate work and don't know how to get experience. I am thinking about getting my pharm tech certification next semester. However, wherever I go to shadow or volunteer they won't give me a chance. They always say something about patient confidentiality. Where do I start? I really want to get involved as soon as possible.

I have just started my undergraduate work and don't know how to get experience. I am thinking about getting my pharm tech certification next semester. However, wherever I go to shadow or volunteer they won't give me a chance. They always say something about patient confidentiality. Where do I start? I really want to get involved as soon as possible.
If you are going to shadow then yeah there is an issue if you aren't a pharmacy intern because you technically cannot sit in MTM (basically counseling) of patients. At least that is how it works in NC. The best thing to do is go find a CVS/Wags/Rite-aid or something to that extent and work as a cashier who does relief in the pharmacy; that is how I started before I became the lead tech back there.

You can also try hospitals, Long-term care facilities, VA hospitals, compounding pharmacies, and local independents (they usually have more freedom to allow shadowing). You can also look at anti-coagulation clinics or various other clinics that have pharmacies as well.

I'm hitting the same issue though since 4 colleges for pharmacy use interns in my area so spaces are tight; that may or may not be an issue for you though.

Best thing to do is get the tech license so they are more willing to trust you behind the counter. Get nationally certified as well because having a CPhT who is willing to volunteer/shadow is basically free labor so some places might want you more then for exposure.

Does that help?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are going to shadow then yeah there is an issue if you aren't a pharmacy intern because you technically cannot sit in MTM (basically counseling) of patients. At least that is how it works in NC. The best thing to do is go find a CVS/Wags/Rite-aid or something to that extent and work as a cashier who does relief in the pharmacy; that is how I started before I became the lead tech back there.

You can also try hospitals, Long-term care facilities, VA hospitals, compounding pharmacies, and local independents (they usually have more freedom to allow shadowing). You can also look at anti-coagulation clinics or various other clinics that have pharmacies as well.

I'm hitting the same issue though since 4 colleges for pharmacy use interns in my area so spaces are tight; that may or may not be an issue for you though.

Best thing to do is get the tech license so they are more willing to trust you behind the counter. Get nationally certified as well because having a CPhT who is willing to volunteer/shadow is basically free labor so some places might want you more then for exposure.

Does that help?

To volunteer in a military hospital or VA center, contact your local American Red Cross and be persistent. It took me a couple months to get started (attending a monthly orientation, clearing immunizations, gettting security badge...), but it's well worth it. Good luck!

Any suggestions where I can get pharmacy experience in Fresno or central CA? I've tried all retail pharmacies, clinic, and hospitals. No luck. :(

I say start out by looking for independent pharmacies to volunteer at. They're likely to take you!

If you are near a military hospital or clinic, check with your local Red Cross

For those in the Orange County area, do you know of any hospitals that allow someone to volunteer in the pharmacy? Or of any retail chains that allow volunteers?

Do you have a Pharmacy Tech License? If you do, it might be easy to volunteer.

If Not, Just build a Nice Resume and Confidently walk into any independent Pharmacy and ask the Pharmacy Manager. It worked for ME! I'm sure there's Plenty of Pharmacies in OC.
:thumbup:

88888888 jumbo shrimp with croutons

Haha! Awesome.

Anyway, on topic, and to agree with the previous posters, you just need to get yourself out there. For the most part, pharmacy is a people profession, so you might as well get used to putting yourself in uncomfortable places! Start with Google, find all the hospitals in your area, then start poking around there websites. Find the volunteer office (they all have them, IME) e-mail address or phone, and begin networking.

You might have to start off in a crappy part of the hospital as a trial period (we make people do gift shop in my hospital) but eventually, with your foot in the door, you make your way to the pharmacy. This is not a passive process, you must be active, ambitious and "want it."

I would recommend not trying indy pharmacies or retailers b/c their insurance will absolutely not let them have you in their store. I worked for an independent pharm. as a C.phT for a pretty long time and we turned away dozens of volunteers. Very few indy pharms are going to put the extra cash down just so they can have volunteers in their pharmacy. I guess you could ask but I would prioritize hospitals first and foremost.

Many will not care if you have a lic. or not because, simply stated, you will be doing bitch work and not actually working in a technician capacity. However, you will be learning important things about how a hospital pharmacy works (IP or OP, or both), and if you are in a good program, you'll be able to shadow pharmacists in clinics and that type of thing.

Good luck!

so im in the same boat
i dont know where to volunteer... i live in MD and would like to volunteer because i dont have the time to get certified and work
I want to volunteer first and understand the field.