Pharmacy experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megpharm

Reaction score
How much of a disadvantage do I have if I have no experience in pharmacy (no voluntering or pharm tech license) when applying for pharm schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't call it so much of a disadvantage. I don't believe it moves you lower in the pool of candidates. But having the experience can help you make a more informed choice about the profession and possibly raise you above the pool of candidates.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say pretty huge. The first question i would have for you is why did you choose pharmacy when you never even stepped foot in a pharmacy before? Also I'm sure you've heard of the terrible job market and several companies making cuts. This means interns are no longer safe either. The chain I work for has recently fired several interns in our district and has limited intern hours to 4 hours a week each. Basically it may be extremely difficult to find an intern job when you're in pharmacy school. And obviously you're going to want find a job ASAP when you start school because who the heck is going to hire a pharmacy graduate with zero experience in today's market. Thus if you find a tech job now, it will be much easier to get promoted to intern within your company once you start school.