Pharmacy Faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can somebody comment on the pros and cons of pursuing a Faculty career?
I would assume is more difficult to find a job, and you should be willing to relocate. I am guessing here. Also there is more pressure to get published?
I am just curious...

Members don't see this ad.

usi said:
Can somebody comment on the pros and cons of pursuing a Faculty career?
I would assume is more difficult to find a job, and you should be willing to relocate. I am guessing here. Also there is more pressure to get published?
I am just curious...

usi...there are lots of pros to pursuing faculty and really lots of options too. If you want to pursue straight academic faculty, there is the "cutting edge" of research which is like nothing else. It's frustrating because you can work on a project for years and years and nothing results from it, but you can be one of those rare few folks who really happen on somthing. But..even if you don't, your research is part of a greater knowledge and just being in that environment is stimulating. For academics, publishing which leads to grant writing is ever so important. Depends upon the kind of a person you are if that is a pro or con....I have a brother-in-law who left academics as a PhD biochemist because of the pressure of grant writing.

If you want to pursue clinical faculty, there is a similar feeling of being right there at the latest and most advanced medicine available. I feel you have to really love both the clinical part of pharmacy and teaching students. (I forgot to add above...it seems most academic faculty prefer to teach graduate students - not "professional" students - Pharm.Ds, MD/DO, etc..IMO) If you want to climb the ladder to a full professor...I feel publishing and grant writing is also essential. Again...could be pro or con. Also, I've heard some complaints with respect to not enough time to juggle the responsibilities - a con. However, there are lots of folks to stay as associate professors of clinical pharmacy & combine the teaching with clinical duties. They may or may not be contributors to papers, but are not often the lead reseacher.

I spent 2 years as an assistant, associate professor of clinical pharmacy - basically they used clinical pharmacists in practice to teach a class to first years one day a week. I had no requirements to publish - just to teach which was great. I loved to teach and fortunately for me, I did not have to get involved in the university political system. I'd still do it, but I live too far from the university medical center to do it comfortably. There is absolutely nothing more stimulating than a university medical center environment, IMO. Good luck!

sdn1977 said:
usi...there are lots of pros to pursuing faculty and really lots of options too. If you want to pursue straight academic faculty, there is the "cutting edge" of research which is like nothing else. It's frustrating because you can work on a project for years and years and nothing results from it, but you can be one of those rare few folks who really happen on somthing. But..even if you don't, your research is part of a greater knowledge and just being in that environment is stimulating. For academics, publishing which leads to grant writing is ever so important. Depends upon the kind of a person you are if that is a pro or con....I have a brother-in-law who left academics as a PhD biochemist because of the pressure of grant writing.

If you want to pursue clinical faculty, there is a similar feeling of being right there at the latest and most advanced medicine available. I feel you have to really love both the clinical part of pharmacy and teaching students. (I forgot to add above...it seems most academic faculty prefer to teach graduate students - not "professional" students - Pharm.Ds, MD/DO, etc..IMO) If you want to climb the ladder to a full professor...I feel publishing and grant writing is also essential. Again...could be pro or con. Also, I've heard some complaints with respect to not enough time to juggle the responsibilities - a con. However, there are lots of folks to stay as associate professors of clinical pharmacy & combine the teaching with clinical duties. They may or may not be contributors to papers, but are not often the lead reseacher.

I spent 2 years as an assistant, associate professor of clinical pharmacy - basically they used clinical pharmacists in practice to teach a class to first years one day a week. I had no requirements to publish - just to teach which was great. I loved to teach and fortunately for me, I did not have to get involved in the university political system. I'd still do it, but I live too far from the university medical center to do it comfortably. There is absolutely nothing more stimulating than a university medical center environment, IMO. Good luck!
Thank you. Your reply is very insightful. I still have to start and get trhu my Pharm D program. I am thinking about all the options, and I am sure I will change my mind a few times during my school years.
One thing I will not do is PhD in a science. Only profesional and clinical.
Thanks again
usi

Members don't see this ad :)
Im actually seriosly considering going for my PhD in Pharm sci after my pharm D. Im doing some reaseach now under a very well known and respected faculty member and the whole atmosphere is really great. I enjoy the reasearch aspect much more than the clinical stuff of a pharm D. If I was going to do college over again, i probably would have gone straight pharm sci. If I did get my PhD i would want to work in acedema or regulatory, not industry. It would be cool casue i could work as a pharmacist on weekends while in grad school. One big part would be giving up the income of a retail pharmacist to work at a university, but i would be more than willing to do that plus you can aways pick up shifts on your free time

You will not have time to work at any places if you are enrolled in a PhD program for several reasons: 1. PhD is no joke - workload is infinite if you are a serious PhD candidate, 2. You are paid a stipend from the NIH/PI to work as a graduate student. They won't allow you to get a job elsewhere. You might get expel if they find out that you have a job on the side.

You will not have time to work at any places if you are enrolled in a PhD program for several reasons: 1. PhD is no joke - workload is infinite if you are a serious PhD candidate, 2. You are paid a stipend from the NIH/PI to work as a graduate student. They won't allow you to get a job elsewhere. You might get expel if they find out that you have a job on the side.

2 year old thread??

(I forgot to add above...it seems most academic faculty prefer to teach graduate students - not "professional" students - Pharm.Ds, MD/DO, etc..IMO)
All of my professors say they enjoy teaching medical students a billion times more than undergraduates, simply because we all study and show up every day. I'm guessing they probably enjoy teaching graduate students in their field like twice as much as professional students and a couple billion times more than undergraduates. Just to put things in perspective.