Pharmacy from UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shyam09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i am really confused. i applied to UCSD and got in- the school of my dreams. however, now my parents are telling me about UOP and how they have the accelerated program which guarantees you admission into their Pharm.D Program...

Is there anyway that I could finish my pharm D in 6 years [including undergrad. What i mean is- finishing my UCSD req. etc. in three years or so and then going to a Pharm school that is finished in 3 years.

So it's a 3 [form one college] + 3 [another college] or something like that..

also- my major at UCSD is pharmacological Chemistry, but would anyone consider this to be pre-pharm?

Members don't see this ad.

so i am really confused. i applied to UCSD and got in- the school of my dreams. however, now my parents are telling me about UOP and how they have the accelerated program which guarantees you admission into their Pharm.D Program...

Is there anyway that I could finish my pharm D in 6 years [including undergrad. What i mean is- finishing my UCSD req. etc. in three years or so and then going to a Pharm school that is finished in 3 years.

So it's a 3 [form one college] + 3 [another college] or something like that..

also- my major at UCSD is pharmacological Chemistry, but would anyone consider this to be pre-pharm?

Yes it is possible to finish a PharmD in 6 years with a 3 + 3 route.
You can finish your pharmacy pre-reqs (or maybe even your B.S.) within 3 years and apply to accelerated programs like UOP. Although possible, it might be difficult to get into a pharmacy program in CA without your B.S.

I just finished my undergrad at UCSD last year. It has a 7 year PharmD program where you complete the required prereqs and apply for their Pharmacy program after 2nd year. If you get in, you start Pharm school following your 3rd year of undergrad. Getting into the program is pretty competitive from what I've heard. My friend got in the 7year program with 2 other people one year (I don't know how many applicants there were). You can find more info about it here http://pharmacy.ucsd.edu/prospective/programs.shtml

If you're in at UCSD, get the undergraduate education. It's your dream school. Do well in your classes and apply to pharmacy school in your Junior year. That way, you'll have time to evaluate whether you really want to be a pharmacist (maybe you'd prefer to be a vet, a physician, a dentist, or a PA - Who knows) before you take a massive debt burden.

The person I am today is vastly different from the person who was entering college at 17. I suspect many people change their paths from the first few years of undergrad. to their careers and you'd have no such luck doing a 0-6 program and having a Pharm. D. Maybe you'll love it, maybe you won't, but the one way to know for sure is to complete your undergraduate education and get a feel for everything else. Do some volunteering in an ER and in a pharmacy, etc... and learn as much as you can. Do as much as you can. Have as much fun as you can within reason. I am vehemently against 0-6 type programs.

In reference to your 'also' - You don't need a pre-pharmacy major to become a pharmacist. I have social science degrees. Many other people do too. It all comes down to your grades for CA schools. And ECs, of course. Get involved, early & often. Take leadership roles. You certainly CAN do 3 years of work @ UCSD then apply for pharmacy school but you really should get the degree. What IF you don't like pharmacy school? Then you'd be out and have what to show for your time? Nothing. Not having a plan B is a mistake that I have seen far too many people make and, consequently, pay for.