Pharmacy in Japan's history

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aznfarmerboi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In ancient Japan, the men who fulfilled roles similar to those of modern pharmacists were highly respected. The place of pharmacists in society was settled in the Taihō Code (701) and re-stated in the Yōrō Code (718). Ranked positions in the pre-Heian Imperial court were established; and this organizational structure remained largely intact until the Meiji Restoration (1868). In this highly stable hierarchy, the pharmacists -- and even pharmacist assistants -- were assigned status superior to all others in health-related fields such as physicians and acupuncturists. In the Imperial household, the pharmacist was even ranked above the two personal physicians of the Emperor.[3]

This caught my eyes when I was reading up on pharmacists in Wiki. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not? If so. . i am moving to Japan. Japanese chicks are hot.

Members don't see this ad.

You going to move to 701? lol

Interesting read. I wonder if they are still treated the same way?

I hope you know how to speak Japanese if you plan to practice there.

The cost of living there is very high. My mom's friend has a daughter that lives in Japan and she teaches English. She comes home every summer and carry back everything she can because it's too expensive there.

Members don't see this ad :)
In ancient Japan, the men who fulfilled roles similar to those of modern pharmacists were highly respected. The place of pharmacists in society was settled in the Taihō Code (701) and re-stated in the Yōrō Code (718). Ranked positions in the pre-Heian Imperial court were established; and this organizational structure remained largely intact until the Meiji Restoration (1868). In this highly stable hierarchy, the pharmacists -- and even pharmacist assistants -- were assigned status superior to all others in health-related fields such as physicians and acupuncturists. In the Imperial household, the pharmacist was even ranked above the two personal physicians of the Emperor.[3]

This caught my eyes when I was reading up on pharmacists in Wiki. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not? If so. . i am moving to Japan. Japanese chicks are hot.

This is quite an interesting read. But unfortunately it can not be applied to modern day pharmacy. From our international pharmacy practice class, the presenting students said that pharmacists do not have dispensing rights, and that physicians will also dispense medications. There are community pharmacies around, but I think they mostly sell OTC stuff. Hospital pharmacy may be more involved, but I don't remember the students saying anything significant about their roles. Sorry to burst your bubble :)
I think most places in asia don't have pharmacists playing a significant role in community settings.

This is quite an interesting read. But unfortunately it can not be applied to modern day pharmacy. From our international pharmacy practice class, the presenting students said that pharmacists do not have dispensing rights, and that physicians will also dispense medications. There are community pharmacies around, but I think they mostly sell OTC stuff. Hospital pharmacy may be more involved, but I don't remember the students saying anything significant about their roles. Sorry to burst your bubble :)
I think most places in asia don't have pharmacists playing a significant role in community settings.

Korea seems to have a large number of independents and the pharmacists there have similar roles as pharmacists in the US. They are also highly respected. This is all coming from 3 different Korean international students that I have spoken to.

Korea seems to have a large number of independents and the pharmacists there have similar roles as pharmacists in the US. They are also highly respected. This is all coming from 3 different Korean international students that I have spoken to.

North or South? :smuggrin: