Pharmacy intern hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chriskahn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year in WA state. Intern hours for WA state is 1500 required, max 1200 from APPE and 300 from non school related internship

We have 6 rotation blocks during 4th year, each 6 weeks in length. So that's 6 x 40 = 240 hours per block. 240 x 6 = 1440 hours total. But only 1200 of it can be put towards the 1500 required (which is BS in my opinion)

Oregon state only requires 1440 hours from APPE. Should I just go get licensed in Oregon instead of WA since I don't really have any intern hours outside of APPE?

And when I do get licensed in Oregon, can I just come take the MPJE in WA state without doing anymore hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Never mind, found it. that's a really interesting requirement...

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/Pubs/690134.pdf

Washington students must earn 300 internship hours independent from the accredited college/school of pharmacy curriculum. Qualifying internship hours are earned under the personal supervision of a preceptor or licensed pharmacist, in a licensed pharmacy in the United States.

I'm a 4th year in WA state. Intern hours for WA state is 1500 required, max 1200 from APPE and 300 from non school related internship

We have 6 rotation blocks during 4th year, each 6 weeks in length. So that's 6 x 40 = 240 hours per block. 240 x 6 = 1440 hours total. But only 1200 of it can be put towards the 1500 required (which is BS in my opinion)

Oregon state only requires 1440 hours from APPE. Should I just go get licensed in Oregon instead of WA since I don't really have any intern hours outside of APPE?

And when I do get licensed in Oregon, can I just come take the MPJE in WA state without doing anymore hours?

So you are in your 4th year of school and have not spent 300 hours in a pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to practice for any period of time before your eligible for licensure through reciprocity? If not, it sounds like a good option depending on CE requirements for each state. You may want to keep your original license even though it looks like Washington doesn't require you to

Do the 300 hours, get licensed in both states, and increase your odds & ability to land a job after graduation.

So you are in your 4th year of school and have not spent 300 hours in a pharmacy?

No. Had a baby and was too busy. Had to turn down the internship offer

Do you have to practice for any period of time before your eligible for licensure through reciprocity? If not, it sounds like a good option depending on CE requirements for each state. You may want to keep your original license even though it looks like Washington doesn't require you to

I thought I read somewhere and saw that you need to practice for at least 1 year. But the pharmacist I worked with went to school in Colorado, then moved to WA and became a pharmacist without ever practicing in Colorado. So I thought I could do the same.

Do the 300 hours, get licensed in both states, and increase your odds & ability to land a job after graduation.

Yeah I'm still looking for an internship. Tried 3 times already but nobody wants a 4th year that can only work weekends (weird right?). I'll keep trying but if no one bites then I'll try for a grad intern gig after graduation. If nothing goes my way I might have to go to Oregon once I figure out all the details

Reactions: 1 user