pharmacy interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aliya1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every one, I am a pharmacy applicant and I have applied to two schools. I am waiting for interview invitations and I would like some advice on how to successfully pass an MMI style interview. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Just go in there and be yourself! :thumbup: Is the cliche enough for you?

Here is my practical advice for anyone that is going to an interview:

-Clip your fingernails (this one is important, I have interviewed/hired hundreds of people, and the fingernail thing was always super important to me)
-Do some form of physical exercise about 3 hours before the interview
-Eat a balanced, healthy, meal with some sort of solid protein that day
-Get good sleep
-If you are married, make sure that you are not currently in the doghouse. Have no negative thoughts.
-Wear a new, sharp/modern suit.

Everything else depends on your ability to communicate. Good luck!

These are the most important advice based on my interviews:
Get a good sleep the night before (As Pojman said)
-I went to my interview feeling very tired and sick to the point where I had a severe headache at the end of the interview day. It did not help that the weather was cold too. Hot+cold=ow.

Have answers prepared and rehearse them (I cannot stress how important this one is)
-Some of my answers were bad because I did not anticipate the questions well enough.

Do not say "umm"
-If you do, practice it until you get rid of the umm! I am a victim of umm at one of my interviews, lol.

Look engaged!
-Super important! Appear interested, ask questions, and remember to smile from time to time!

Don't be cocky
-You don't want to appear like a know-it-all, so be yourself and do not act like you are Mr. or Mrs. Perfect!

Members don't see this ad :)
All of this info so far is great...I would add:
1) Stay hydrated...use the restroom before your interview.
2) Be courteous and smile and/or nod at people you see in the hallways or rooms leading up to your interview. You never know where your first impression with your interviewer will take place.
3) Act professionally at all times...if you play with your hair, focus hard on not doing so...if you chew your nails, do the same...any habit you want to avoid completely.
4) Research questions commonly asked and practice answers. Have at least 5 questions written down and ready to go.
5) Buy and carry one of these (don't forget a pen): http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsill-P...Pockets-Card-Slots-Writing-Pad-Black/15074528 You can write the questions inside on the first page, also any other info you want handy. You can also use this to hold the sheets of paper you get on your interview day. Your interviewer may tell you info you will want to write down....this serves many practical purposes as well as shows you are interested and proactive. My interviewer ended up giving me his card and telling me that I could call him if I had any other questions, and wouldn't you know it there was a place for a business card in the thing too!

Good luck! :xf:

you're in luck!

correct me if i am wrong but MMI style interviews consist of many "stations," where interviewers will be waiting for you. what this means is, yes, you'll be talking to many different types of people, but, many of the questions they ask will also overlap or at least be related. this means, worst case scenario the first interview will be ok at best but by the time you reach the 5th person, your answers will be concise and clear. that is without practice, now if you do practice, your first interview will be even better.

Good advice in this thread. I want to add though, if you're not involved in the pharmacy profession, try to keep in touch with pharmacy-related news, and develop a concrete opinion about the problems/issues discussed. When I was being interviewed, they asked me to talk about something related to current pharmacy news, and I couldn't really respond intelligently because I didn't know a whole lot about what was happening. All I could say was, "Well, I do know that there is currently a shortage of very critical drugs, and that Obama is working to solve the problems with his health care plan...though I am unsure about the details, I feel the issue is largely economic in nature." (No sh** Sherlock, it's almost always economic!). Then they responded, "Yeah, there's been a drug shortage for...how long now? A year?"

-10 points to DH1987.

I still got in though, even though I was waitlisted. Just make sure you learn as much as you can about the pharmacy profession and related news.