Pharmacy:is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caramel334

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently at a family friends house, and when I told her that I was a pre-pharm student, she started telling me how it wasnt worth it. America is the only place where pharmacists have "value". They def dont get paid this much in any other country..and that got me thinking.

Do you guys think that pharmacy will ever "decline" as a career. Like will pharmacists be out of a job one day? I kno tht people are always going to need medicine, but with technology and everything..what if they dont need pharmacists anymore?

or maybe im just paranoid lol. but I wanna kno what you guys think..

Members don't see this ad.

I seriously doubt that "America" is the only place where pharmacists have value. Where I'm from (Canada), we value our pharmacists and their contributions too.

It's really hard to predict if the pharmacy profession will decline. 10 years ago, I doubt anyone could forsee the decline of the IT industry. But as I often tell myself, as long as there are people, you'll need health care which means you need pharmacists. lol.

As for the pay, if you are planning on staying in the states, whats the prob? awesome pay.

Go anywhere else, yes you don't get paid as much, but your profession is still respected.

With the shortage in doctors as well, pharmacy is becoming increasingly geared towards the clinical field. This should create a lot of new opportunities. There are a lot of things that pharmacists know how to do, and can do, but aren't allowed to do.

Nuclear is the future, and I would expect the demand for nuclear pharmacy to go up.

Even with robotics, you still need a pharmacist to double check the machine.