Pharmacy Job Shadow Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothmovin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before begining my Dentistry voyage I thought about Pharmacy. I have about 30 hours of job shadowing/work experience in pharmacy plus 60+ job shadow hours in denistry. Do you think it would hurt to add my Pharmacy hours to my denistry hours or do you think that they are to different to be important?

Members don't see this ad.

When they ask for hours you've shadowed, they want to know how much exposure you have had to the field of dentistry. No you shouldn't add your hours shadowing a pharmacist along with hours you shadowed with a dentist. It would be no different than shadowing a musician and claiming you know what its like to be a football player. Two totally different fields.

toothmovin said:
Before begining my Dentistry voyage I thought about Pharmacy. I have about 30 hours of job shadowing/work experience in pharmacy plus 60+ job shadow hours in denistry. Do you think it would hurt to add my Pharmacy hours to my denistry hours or do you think that they are to different to be important?

I've been a pharmacy technician for 4+ years and it seemed to help me out. In my interviews, it was brought up a couple of times. It is always useful to work among the drugs that you'll someday be prescribing to your patients. AS far as job shadowing stick strictly to dentistry. Save the pharmacy hours for work experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are pretty different fields...

toothmovin said:

Wouldn't hurt to show that you have considered other avenues and know what you really want imo. Your task would be to convey somewhere in your application how your experience in the pharmacy further confirmed your desire to pursue dentistry. Otherwise I wouldn't add it if you couldn't do so convincingly.