pharmacy law question

Started by tompharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tompharm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was told not to give out a 3 day supply of a control for emergency refills. But I was wondering if I get a hard copy for a III-V and the patient was saying that their lortab QD was supposed to be TID prn or something like that. Can I give a 3 day supply then to them for the QD dose until I call the Dr. . I live in FL btw.
 
I was told not to give out a 3 day supply of a control for emergency refills. But I was wondering if I get a hard copy for a III-V and the patient was saying that their lortab QD was supposed to be TID prn or something like that. Can I give a 3 day supply then to them for the QD dose until I call the Dr. . I live in FL btw.

I don't know why you couldn't. In this case, I would probably dispense the entire prescription with the QD dosing, and then clarify the dosing with the physician the next day and make a note in the patient's profile (although I guess if you think the physician would change the quantity as well as the directions, you might want to just give a 3 day supply....depending on how your computer system is set up, I wouldn't do it as an emergency supply, but just as a 3 day fill of the prescription....at least in IL, if you filled say #15 of an RX written for #30, then later refilled the #15, it would still count as just 1 fill in respect to the 5 refill limit of C III-V)