Pharmacy Loan Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much do you anticipate to spend on pharmacy school when you graduate?

• $0-$50,000 Loans

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • $50,000-$100,000 Loans

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • $100,000-$150,000 Loans

Votes: 66 38.2%
  • $150,000-$200,000 Loans

Votes: 37 21.4%
  • Over $200,000 Loans

Votes: 19 11.0%

• Total voters
im anticipating $120k :scared:
thats with subsidized/unsub and gradplus.
im trying to find some scholarships to apply for too...

Members don't see this ad.

If I aomehow manage to stay in-state I am looking at $0 in loans. I own my own home, have a bit of savings, GI Bill, and a wife that makes quite a bit. If I have to go elsewhere, well, that is a different story.

Members don't see this ad :)
People who are leaving pharmacy school with less than $100K in loans typically fall under out-of-the-ordinary circumstances.

•they have family or spouse paying for part of it.
•they have substantial (and generally rare) academic and/or diversity scholarship.
•they live with parents or some other rent-free situation.
•they live in a one of a handful of states that has very cheap resident tuition. As a comparison the University of Oregon's annual resident Pharm.D tuition is $12K whereas the University of Iowa's (where I attend) is $21K.
•live in a state that pays interns really well (like Oregon, aren't you Oregonians lucky!). here in Iowa interns get paid $11-$13 per hour and you can't find a one bedroom apartment for under $600.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Iowa has high resident tuition, low intern pay, somewhat above average cost of living. So Iowa sucks in terms of being economical.

So all the people that are saying you shouldn't graduate with more than $100K in debt, you're full of it. You either live in a low tuition state, get a source of help from someone other than yourself, or have some kind of special scholarship.

•they live in a one of a handful of states that has very cheap resident tuition. As a comparison the University of Oregon's annual resident Pharm.D tuition is $12K whereas the University of Iowa's (where I attend) is $21K.
Oregon's resident tuition is ~19k/year, not ~12k. The cheapest in-state PharmD tuition I've seen is in South Dakota, which ranges from ~$12k - ~$16k/year.

Only looking at tuition, according to AACP there are 4 schools with annual tuition between $2k-$5k.

Your search for institutions that have a first year in-state annual tution cost is between $2,000-$5,000 yielded 4 records.

School Name Website
Florida A&M University www.pharmacy.famu.edu
South Dakota State University www.sdstate.edu/pha/index.cfm
South University www.southuniversity.edu/campus/Pharmacy/
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York www.pharmacy.buffalo.edu

Sorry about the tacky cut'n'paste.

Disclaimer: I have not researched each individual institution, so AACP could quite easily have it wrong.

Only looking at tuition, according to AACP there are 4 schools with annual tuition between $2k-$5k.

Your search for institutions that have a first year in-state annual tution cost is between $2,000-$5,000 yielded 4 records.

School Name Website
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York www.pharmacy.buffalo.edu

Disclaimer: I have not researched each individual institution, so AACP could quite easily have it wrong.

You can definitely scratch Buffalo off that list. I think they may charge you undergrad rates for your first professional year, but after that even for instate it's 10K for a SEMESTER so 20K for the year. Over 30 for out of staters.

School Name Website

From South's website:

Estimated Student Expenses for South University's Pharm.D. Program
Tuition
Doctor of Pharmacy Program tuition* $9,695 per quarter

School Name Website

FAMU is ~$12k/year in state.
http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?a=FinancialAid&p=CostofAttendance

Tuition and Fees for SDSU Pharmacy Program
2010-2011

Year 1 (33 credits)
total for year 1
7,248.00 - resident
8,894.70 - nonresident

Year 2 (33 credits)
total for year 2
7,354.40 - resident
9,001.10 - nonresident

Year 3 = P1 (37 credits)
total for year 3
12,789.18 - resident
14,630.10 - nonresident

Year 4 = P2 (35 credits)
total for year 4
12,092.60 - resident
13,839.10 - nonresident

Year 5 = P3 (40 credits)
total for year 5
16,249.40 - resident
28,023.40 - nonresident

Year 6 = P4 (40 credits)
total for year 6
16,143.00 - resident
27,917.00 - nonresident

Total for Years 3-6
57,274.18 - resident
84,409.60 - nonresident

Total for Years 1-6
71,876.58 - resident
102,305.40 - nonresident

I'm pretty sure North Dakota is also comparatively inexpensive, but their website is difficult to navigate so it's hard to be sure. I'm pretty sure it's in some PDF somewhere there...

I'm pretty sure North Dakota is also comparatively inexpensive, but their website is difficult to navigate so it's hard to be sure. I'm pretty sure it's in some PDF somewhere there...

Pharmacy
$2,819.50 per semester (ND Tuition Rate)

It's on one of the links. But it doesn't give a break down of tuition and fees for each year.

There's only one pharmacy school in my state, and it's 0-6. So I'm heading out of state. Good thing I love what I do because I'm gonna be working the reeeest of my life!

North Dakota runs a little under $13,000/year for tuition and fees for an instate pharmacy student(P1-P4). They take the instate tuition(~$6500) for a year and double it. I think Montana's tuition and maybe SD's is a little lower.

No private loans, but owning a house and not being able to work much (as well as that marriage thing), plus private school rate hikes puts me in the 200k+ range.

No big deal, just work out a budget and stick with it.