Pharmacy manager vs Pharmacy Director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between Pharmacy manager and Pharmacy director duties- wise?

Members don't see this ad.

In a hospital, the director typically is above the pharmacy manager (or pharmacy supervisor). The supervisor typically manages the operations in the hospital pharmacy, while the director typically is the top supervisory level for the whole pharmacy department (inpatient, outpatient, clinical, purchasing, formulary, etc...)

Could you please elaborate on that? What does it mean "manages the operations"? Does not director manages the operations as well?
I worked in a hospital as a tech and then intern, so I have an idea that director is above the manager..Manager did the schedule and managed techs. Director managed pharmacists and did the schedule for the pharmacists...However, what else is different in their responsibilities?
All day long they were staring at their computers..
Do they do a lot of reports? Or what are they doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Inpatient pharmacy is often one division of a pharmacy department, the others being outpatient and clinical. The director doesn't just oversee inpatient operations (techs, scheduling, etc...), they always do interdepartmental and interdisciplinary meetings, cost savings initiatives, etc... I agree though that both probably spend sizable time staring at computers. Unfortunately I have not done any sort of management so cannot speak from experience, but apparently a lot of the daily duties of our management positions is "answering e-mails all day" as described by one manager.

Are you interested in trying a management position?

Are you interested in trying a management position?

Maybe down the road, but not now. Too much red tape to deal with, and our management is pretty much a dictatorship (where the director just does whatever she wants).

I wonder if there is any hospital/or other non retail pharmacy manager/director in this website? Would be nice if they could share here about what does that job entails

I wonder if there is any hospital/or other non retail pharmacy manager/director in this website? Would be nice if they could share here about what does that job entails
I believe Xiphoid is in management.

I don't know how to get him/her here...I tried to search for nick "Xiphoid" , found it, but then could not figure out how to send a private message to invite him/her into the topic :-(

It's going to depend on the size of the hospital, a smaller hospital will just have a manager, and not a supervisor. A large hospital, will have a manager, who oversees the department supervisors. How the duties specifically break down will vary by hospital, but obviously the supervisor will be in charge of day-to-day happenings in their department and whatever work the manager delegates to them, and the manager will be in charge of overseeing everything, and keeping up with JCHO requirements which is almost a full-time job.