Pharmacy Membership after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marscole

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey pharmacists,

Which pharmacy organizations will you guys join after graduation? Please advice...

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey pharmacists,

Which pharmacy organizations will you guys join after graduation? Please advice...

Thanks!!
I join ASHP every other year to get discounted midyear meeting rates and do my CEs.

Reactions: 1 users
I keep ACCP and SCCM. I went to midyear for the first time in about 5 years this year so I rejoined ASHP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Have these pharmacy organizations helped you in any way? I just let my ACCP membership expire. I initially joined for discounts on books.

Help is what you make of it. For ACCP I attended the annual meeting and subscribe to the PRN groups- The networking and daily clinical/operations discussions are worth it to me.

I joined APhA for the NAPLEX book, I'm not sure it was worth it.

Have these pharmacy organizations helped you in any way? I just let my ACCP membership expire. I initially joined for discounts on books.

What @Rockinacoustic said - it's all what you make of it.

if you take any of the board exams the BCPS/BCCCP/BXYJKH study and maintenance materials are cheaper as a member. It's also higher quality CE than just pounding through Pharmacist's Letter or PowerPak.

For me the networking has been phenomenal. The annual meeting is basically a big party of people from around the country I keep in touch with throughout the year. The overall programming is at a higher level than midyear and obviously more clinically oriented than APhA.

I'm a member of 3 PRNs, 1 I'm actively involved in committees, 1 is more peripherally involved with my specialty, and the 3rd is more of a nerdy interest thing.

SCCM offers more critical care education and specialized opportunities.

Again, it's going to depend on where you're practicing and how involved you choose to be. It's great to have other people around the country to bounce ideas off of, or not have to reinvent the wheel every time you work on a new policy or orderset.

How was the annual meeting? I wanted to subscribe to the PRN groups, but they charged so much to join.

Aren't they $30 or $45 per year? And I believe the first one is free for students?

Honestly worth it for the information exchange.

Yes, but membership is $245 and adding multiple PRN groups was too expensive for me. It would be like $500. Besides, I didn't know how useful the PRN groups would be. I will have to reconsider becoming a member once I become employed again. If you are saying the PRN groups are useful, I will have to give them a shot. I am most interested in Critical Care and Infectious Disease.

What do you think of ASHP membership? You mentioned that ACCP programming is at a higher level than ASHP midyear. I thought it was pretty much the same people who were members of both, but I guess not. I wish we had just ONE solid pharmacy organization.

So you're becoming great friends with these people just from the annual meeting?

Well you meet people working on committees together and then meet in person at the meeting but more or less yes.

Re: ASHP vs ACCP just comparing what comes across the listservs, ASHP is more "all comers" and you get lots of directors of pharmacy of 43 bed critical access hospitals, vs ACCP being potentially more progressive clinically. A good example is comparing AJHP to Pharmacotherapy, the journals that come with the respective organization memberships.

Don't forget your local pharmacy group. They will have good local information.

Don't forget your local pharmacy group. They will have good local information.

Truth!

But CSHP costs nearly as much as ASHP to join, so I've personally boycotted them. But I'm petty like that.

A friend is very involved with NYCSHP in NYC and finds it very fulfilling, personally and professionally. They're very active socially (flag football teams, 5Ks, monthly CE dinners)

Local state version of ASHP and ACHE (which is funny, because healthcare executives are an ACHE on us practitioners). Always have gone to the ACHE national meeting, and try not to miss the state meeting for ASHP and HIMISS. Have a more involuntary relationship with BPS. VA reimburses my CE subscriptions.

Is Pharmacist Letter an organization? My job pays for my subscription and man I love that site. CEs and lots of good info.