Pharmacy Models and Hiring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amgen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused about how pharmacy managers/associates are paid

I was speaking to a pharm manager at Shoppers Drug Mart (guessing is a franchise model? but I've heard that the pharmacy managers do not own the store and are just contract workers like what walmart does) and he was talking about how it was much cheaper for him to take on free interns rather than techs. My confusion is how would this matter for the manager since aren't they just holding a contract position with a SET salary why could it matter if it costs the company more money?

Anybody inside SDM know?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Because he no doubt gets bonuses for meeting/exceeding budget and sales goals

Yep, although associate owners don't "own" the store they do share in the store's profits. Revenue - Expenses = Profit. So if they keep expenses down the more $$$ for them.

This is actually a pretty common practice at most SDMs including the one I volunteered at before getting into pharm. They always had interns, either pharmacy students or tech students. In fact there was usually only a paid tech there during the day. In the evening and night the pharmacy was pretty much run by interns and one pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Free interns? I don't know if I'm missing something here but why would any intern work for free?