Pharmacy or optometry career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could you please enlighten us about the healthcare field that guarantees a job after graduation and pays 100k ?

Seriously, my sister is an MD who was chief resident, and when she moved from the state she did her residency in to return to our home state, even she spent six months looking for a position. (Not that there weren't any jobs at all available. It was just that the ones that were available were with places with bad reputations. She would always tell me stuff like, "It's really hard to find a job." At the time, I was confused by this because it looked like there were tons of openings for her specialty when I looked in the paper. She actually had to move one state over from our home state for a job. It was a really hard time for her.)

My point is that you shouldn't base your decisions on hearsay. There could be lots of influences that skew the numbers and these aren't hard numbers to begin with. If you want to call up HR folks responsible for hiring pharmacists and ask them what they're seeing, that might give you a good idea about the reality.

Members don't see this ad.

Passion4Sci is steering the OP away from optometry because he thinks compared to pharmacy, the knowledge of an optometrist is less appropriate for what the OP desires to do, compared to a pharmacist.

That's fine. So perhaps Passion4Sci can explain to us what he knows about vision? I didn't realize he acquired expertise in vision during his pharmacy training. Perhaps he can remind me of the meaning of 20/20? Or explain to me what is astigmatism? Or tell me how to measure the prescription of his glasses? Or demonstrate to us what optometric examination equipment he knows how to use? I didn't realize P4Sci received training in the ophthalmoscope during his pharmaceutical studies.

you_mad.jpg