Pharmacy OR Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moonlight33

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I just need some advice about if Optometry is a good career nowadays and is it better to enter optometry school than pharmacy school since many people are saying pharmacy is not a good choice nowadays?

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

For best results I would study computer science or engineering.

Hi Guys,
I just need some advice about if Optometry is a good career nowadays and is it better to enter optometry school than pharmacy school since many people are saying pharmacy is not a good choice nowadays?

Thank You
Don't know much about the job market for optometry but it literally can't be worse than pharmacy. It either is as bad or it isn't.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Attending and finishing pharmacy school is no different than financial suicide for most students who need to take out 130k+ loan especially with all the fuss going on now with student loan system. They may not be able to take advantage of PAYE currently available. Let`s just hope for most students it ends with monetary damage and nothing more.

If you need to take out significant amount of loan, do not go to pharmacy school.

Optometry is in far worse shape than pharmacy. Haven’t you read the optometry forums? They also have the worst return on their investment.

i wouldn't waste my money on entering either of those fields unless you actually have a passion for working in these fields. like the post above, they both have terrible return on investment.

Optometry is in far worse shape than pharmacy. Haven’t you read the optometry forums? They also have the worst return on their investment.

They still have a 10% job growth

i wouldn't waste my money on entering either of those fields unless you actually have a passion for working in these fields. like the post above, they both have terrible return on investment.

All 15,000 pre-pharms per year have a passion for pharmacy according to their interviews.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
All 15,000 pre-pharms per year have a passion for pharmacy according to their interviews.

Lol - I just want to go on the record and say that I refused to say this in my interview. I told them that i have asses pharmacy to be a high demand job that I am capable of doing and I have decided that this how how I want to provide for my family. I guess it went over well, or may e the interviewer was daydreaming at the time

Lol - I just want to go on the record and say that I refused to say this in my interview. I told them that i have asses pharmacy to be a high demand job that I am capable of doing and I have decided that this how how I want to provide for my family. I guess it went over well, or may e the interviewer was daydreaming at the time
That is not half bad. I told them that I just want to be a valuable member of my community.

BTW, I know few people who said in their essay and interview that they wanted to be pharmacist since they were kids.
For whatever reason, this really made me sick and laugh. What kind of kid dream of becoming a pharmacist? lmao. Such a superficial lie.

That is not half bad. I told them that I just want to be a valuable member of my community.

BTW, I know few people who said in their essay and interview that they wanted to be pharmacist since they were kids.
For whatever reason, this really made me sick and laugh. What kind of kid dream of becoming a pharmacist? lmao. Such a superficial lie.

So true. I actually wanted to be a weather man as a kid. If I only had a time machine... I would have been the master of the blue screen

They still have a 10% job growth

Their job growth is shrinking due to new schools opening up and more new grads being pumped into the job market. They have huge loans and far less pay than pharmacists. Hence they have the worst return on investment.

Half or more of the students who claim passion for pharmacy have never stepped foot in an actual pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 users
Half or more of the students who claim passion for pharmacy have never stepped foot in an actual pharmacy.

Would it be safe to say though - that half or more of the general population is full of s***?

The average just carries over I guess

LoL. I straight up didn't know what a pharmacy was until I was like 22 years old. I always thought CVS was a minimart and never noticed the pharmacy in the back.

Neither. Stay out of healthcare field in general unless you're pursuing MD/DO.