Pharmacy or PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apples2Oranges

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I know there are a lot of threads on here about this topic, but I'm conflicted. I'm a junior and was recently accepted into a top pharm school. Since freshman year, I was very diligent on getting into it, but now I'm starting to question my choice. The tuition is more expensive that I expected, even in state, and it's 4 years. Considering the saturation of pharmacy in the next few years, is pharmacy school worth it? I know many of you would say I could do other things, but I'm really stuck between this or being a PA. Even if I take a gap year to improve my grades/get more experience for PA school, it's the same time as me finishing pharm school if I enter in the Fall 2017. I feel like I worked hard to get here but now I'm not too confident. I know clinical pharmacy is a rare thing. If I continue with pharm school, I'd be in $100-$120k in debt. For PA, I may be around $70-100k. So the cost isn't as important as the potential.

My GPA is currently around a 3.5-3.6 and I've had experience in the hospital for 2 years doing clinical research and a few months as a pharm tech. I enjoy the hospital environment. So I could find PAs and doctors to shadow for recommendations.

Autonomy is not a huge deal to me. I'd actually prefer having someone else be the prescriber/check my work. I'm not squeamish. I can tolerate handling others. I'm fascinated by both medication pathways and treatment, so either curriculum works. I'm very much looking for an ease of job finding and a reasonable lifestyle. I don't expect a 9-5 job, though. Something that wouldn't make me want to pull my hair out is decent. I'm pretty introverted.

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Autonomy is not a huge deal to me. I'd actually prefer having someone else be the prescriber/check my work. I'm not squeamish. I can tolerate handling others. I'm fascinated by both medication pathways and treatment, so either curriculum works. I'm very much looking for an ease of job finding and a reasonable lifestyle. I don't expect a 9-5 job, though. Something that wouldn't make me want to pull my hair out is decent.

Thanks for the input!

PA. Don't do pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 user
The people that don't want you to do pharm are the pharmacists and the pharm students tbh

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The people that don't want you to do pharm are the pharmacists and the pharm students tbh
It's weird though. Some of the pharmacists (retail and industry) I spoke with told me to go for it, except for those on SDN. Even one who went from PharmD to MD (currently a surgeon) told me it was worth it cause his daughter just became a pharmacist.

It's weird though. Some of the pharmacists (retail and industry) I spoke with told me to go for it, except for those on SDN. Even one who went from PharmD to MD (currently a surgeon) told me it was worth it cause his daughter just became a pharmacist.

Honestly, do what YOU want to do. Get experience first when it comes to pharmacy, find a job inside of the pharmacy and see if you like it. Hospital or retail it doesn't matter.

Everyone's quick to say that you shouldn't do this or that, but ultimately it's your decision. I've heard the same thing, everyone said just go for it. However, what solidified my decision was actually working in a pharmacy and talking to patients. You'll gain your own experiences and hopefully figure out whether out it's for you. Best of luck.

EDIT: Re-read your post, research is way different from actually doing the tasks that a pharmacy tech has to do on a daily basis. So, definitely find a job as a tech if you can.

Last edited:

This is true. Pharmacy requires a good chunk of your time (4 years) and a huge amount of money, often $200k or more in student loans. For the poor job prospects and work conditions, going to pharmacy school is not a good investment.

PA or computer programming are much better career choices. Their job outlooks are much better and pay as well as pharmacy if not better without you having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in school. You don't even need a degree to become a programmer - $10k and 3-4 months in a coding bootcamp will be enough.

This is true. Pharmacy requires a good chunk of your time (4 years) and a huge amount of money, often $200k or more in student loans. For the poor job prospects and work conditions, going to pharmacy school is not a good investment.

PA or computer programming are much better career choices. Their job outlooks are much better and pay as well as pharmacy if not better without you having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in school. You don't even need a degree to become a programmer - $10k and 3-4 months in a coding bootcamp will be enough.

Not every person gets out of Pharmacy school with $200K in loans first of all. Where I'm from there's been jobs open for Pharmacists for the past year because They can't find people to fill them. I worked in a pharmacy my sophomore year of college and just thoroughly enjoyed it! Chill out dude and stop being such a pessimist 24/7

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is true. Pharmacy requires a good chunk of your time (4 years) and a huge amount of money, often $200k or more in student loans. For the poorpharmacy if not better without you having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in school.
The most expensive school I found to be about 40,000. Do math, total 160,000.
So left 40,000 cannot be negligible.
Whatever everyone decides to go or not, it's their problem. But no one got locked in jail yet for $ 160,000 loan

The most expensive school I found to be about 40,000. Do math, total 160,000.

Don't forget that you start accruing interest at 5-7% starting your first year in school which would put your total loan balance at well over $160k once you graduate. $40k/year also does not include living and travel expenses.

Don't forget that you start accruing interest at 5-7% starting
Yeah.. You didn't forget the interest rate. But you always forget that students who study schience can't start studying programming or accounting all of a sudden

Thanks for your input so far! I do want to say that I intend to take the least loan amount possible for either program. I'm lucky enough to have my family help with living expenses and food. I may work part-time as well. But I'm just concerned about the finances and how to deal with it. If I pursue either, what kind of loan plan is the most reasonable? They're both pretty expensive in-state and oos.

I also hear things about accounting/comp sci/finance. I tried some of them but didn't enjoy them. I did well in some compsci courses, but I was not fit for the tech company (I wish I was!). Some family members are in engineering and finance, and they didn't recommend them to me. I know the debt load may be less, but I would be miserable. I'd rather take a pay cut than never wanting to go to work everyday. I'm more focused on science and health care. While I'm not squeamish, I'm not a huge fan of touching people either. I care for people a lot, but I'm a bit introverted and shy so I don't see myself as a nurse/DO.

Honestly, do what YOU want to do. Get experience first when it comes to pharmacy, find a job inside of the pharmacy and see if you like it. Hospital or retail it doesn't matter.

Everyone's quick to say that you shouldn't do this or that, but ultimately it's your decision. I've heard the same thing, everyone said just go for it. However, what solidified my decision was actually working in a pharmacy and talking to patients. You'll gain your own experiences and hopefully figure out whether out it's for you. Best of luck.

EDIT: Re-read your post, research is way different from actually doing the tasks that a pharmacy tech has to do on a daily basis. So, definitely find a job as a tech if you can.

I was a volunteer and temporary tech at a hospital pharmacy before applying to pharm school. My primary work is currently in research. Thanks for the advice! It's really hard to figure my life out. :help:

Unless you love pharmacy, don't go into it... before you give me the "hater" title, just answer this question... why go into a profession that BLS predicts to be growing at rate slower that average, HRSA predicts a huge surplus of rph, and multiple other credible pharmacy publications such as pharmacy times, pharmacy manpower project etc? Look at how many pharmacy schools have opened in the last four years that still haven't graduated a class... in CA, we have Chapman, kgi, west coast, California health, and Ketchum... that's five...
if you have credentials to be conpetetive for better programs, you are choosing an uphill battle for yourself... if you are CC student, maybe then go for it...

Unless you love pharmacy, don't go into it... before you give me the "hater" title, just answer this question... why go into a profession that BLS predicts to be growing at rate slower that average, HRSA predicts a huge surplus of rph, and multiple other credible pharmacy publications such as pharmacy times, pharmacy manpower project etc? Look at how many pharmacy schools have opened in the last four years that still haven't graduated a class... in CA, we have Chapman, kgi, west coast, California health, and Ketchum... that's five...
if you have credentials to be conpetetive for better programs, you are choosing an uphill battle for yourself... if you are CC student, maybe then go for it...

Definitely not hating! I am quite aware of the BLS prediction, and that's why I'm concerned. I live on the east coast, which is not doing too hot either, I'm assuming. Even here, there's so many pharm/dental/nursing schools that it's hard to find good careers. Yes, I've heard people in dental school (which seems to be a golden career on SDN) have struggle finding a full-time position in my area.

. I care for people a lot, but I'm a bit introverted and shy so I don't see myself as a nurse/DO.

If you are going into pharmacy, you have to be content and capable of doing retail b/c 65% of most classes end up in retail to begin with. In retail, it's not possible to be shy, etc. I did retail for several years. Even as a staff RPh, you're expected to manage and supervise techs, who are usually disgruntled and at times lazy. Customers will walk all over you if you show any timidness. Your DM will expect you to approach customers to offer immunizations and other BS. I believe very significant part of being retail RPh is how well you can manage staff, keep customers in line, and present yourself to your DM.

If you are going into pharmacy, you have to be content and capable of doing retail b/c 65% of most classes end up in retail to begin with. In retail, it's not possible to be shy, etc. I did retail for several years. Even as a staff RPh, you're expected to manage and supervise techs, who are usually disgruntled and at times lazy. Customers will walk all over you if you show any timidness. Your DM will expect you to approach customers to offer immunizations and other BS. I believe very significant part of being retail RPh is how well you can manage staff, keep customers in line, and present yourself to your DM.

I've heard techs can be distrustful and difficult. I'm glad to have worked with competent techs at the hospital pharmacy, but even the lead pharmacist has the stress of overseeing their work. I'm no stranger to being yelled at and complained to. It's pretty much an expected effect of any health care profession. Some people just suck :/
Thanks for the insight! I'd appreciate to know how you managed through the pharm career and where you're at today. I've researched and talked to people in pharm a lot, but it'd be nice to know varying experiences.

I wouldn't mind going for PA. You have to look into your strength and reasoning to go into any profession. Me..I only can do good in chemistry so I don't have much choice. PA atm is highly competitive considering many medschool applicant opting for PA instead of medschool. From last I heard from friends who were applying to PA school you need A minimum 1000 direct patient care hours. Lots of volunteers and being of a diverse background will help. Even so you might not get in. PA is fastest route to make good money will less loans. The growing field of Pharmacy is on the slow down. Surely but there are still opportunity out there. The provider care status along with pharmacist more in clinical studies is the changing direction of the profession. If I am you and have the option I'd go for PA. If I get rejected then you can still do pharmacy. Also look into other health professions such as optometry and few others.

I wouldn't mind going for PA. You have to look into your strength and reasoning to go into any profession. Me..I only can do good in chemistry so I don't have much choice. PA atm is highly competitive considering many medschool applicant opting for PA instead of medschool. From last I heard from friends who were applying to PA school you need A minimum 1000 direct patient care hours. Lots of volunteers and being of a diverse background will help. Even so you might not get in. PA is fastest route to make good money will less loans. The growing field of Pharmacy is on the slow down. Surely but there are still opportunity out there. The provider care status along with pharmacist more in clinical studies is the changing direction of the profession. If I am you and have the option I'd go for PA. If I get rejected then you can still do pharmacy. Also look into other health professions such as optometry and few others.

I'm more into industrial work/clinical research than clinical/retail pharmacy. I was provided the option to do a pharmD/PhD towards drug research. It's one of the few reasons why I didn't feel the clinical settings of PA/nursing/opt/DO routes were for me. I also have some connections into the industry if I need help. Thanks for the advice though!

I'm more into industrial work/clinical research than clinical/retail pharmacy. I was provided the option to do a pharmD/PhD towards drug research. It's one of the few reasons why I didn't feel the clinical settings of PA/nursing/opt/DO routes were for me. I also have some connections into the industry if I need help. Thanks for the advice though!
That is good. This means pharm is for you.

I'm actually thinking myself about getting a PhD in pharm research of some sort. I am wondering what made you want to go that route?