Pharmacy Personal Statement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MyRealNameIs

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does admitting I thought pharmacists were just overqualified professionals who dispensed medication written by doctors until my senior year in college make me sound stupid?

I am trying to write my pharmcas essay and I just don't know what to write for my introduction.

I have a good idea on what to write about my body. Pharm Tech experience, customer service background from working part time jobs, desire to teach later in life. But I just don't know what to write for my introduction paragraph.

I decided to be a pharmacist reluctantly at first because I really thought that is what they do. But after finding about what they actually do, I am really excited since I love biochemistry and loved my drug design class.
This is my 2 sentence summary of my introduction.

I am a terrible writer and need some advice.
 
Based on this post, you write just fine.

I would lead with the event that made you want to be a pharmacist (was it the drug design class or working as a tech?) and mention your previous impression of what pharmacists do briefly if at all. (And don't use the negative wording, ie. "overqualified professionals", that you've used here.)
 
I guess, alternatively, you could write about the moment where you learned more about what a pharmacist really does. But either way, lead with something positive.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't put it that way. That's just a weird way to start off.. say something like "I didn't know the importance of Pharmacy until I was _____" or something.