Pharmacy Practice Faculty Suffering from Burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwarm01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medscape: Medscape Access

A funny article from Medscape. Well, it made me laugh. Let's all shed a tear for those poor pharmacy professors who just can't take this kind of stress.

I'd love to see the study on CVS employees. After all, they are the shining beacon of retail pharmacy. Even the ingrates on this site will acknowledge that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Okay, but hear me out here.

You spend four years dealing with whiny kids, trying your best to impart some learning on them. Then one day, you get on the internet and read about a pharmacist who honest to God believes that if you take a pill out of the bottle and put it in a newer, smaller, bottle, it means that the pill is good for longer than it was before.

I would probably throw my hands up in exasperation too.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most pharmacy practice faculty just can't practice efficiently and have inflated egos that have to be managed. There is major sexism, but it does go both ways (it is certainly not a one-sided Men Oppress Women place). The workload is considerable, but not outrageous (the outrageous workload is reserved for tenure and tenure track faculty trying to beg for grants). Practice faculty also do not have realistic expectations for the pedagogy, the pastoral care, and the practice balance that has to occur with them and fail to account for their own humanity and interests as well.

Also, it's depressing as time goes on to realize just the futility of it all when you see your students screwing up in all the same ways you saw them in class and with all the student services interactions from mentally ill students and their significant others (I learned how to write a restraining order request in the job as well as figure out what the difference is between misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, and felony assault thanks to those significant others).

Reactions: 3 users

You spend four years dealing with whiny kids, trying your best to impart some learning on them. Then one day, you get on the internet and read about a pharmacist who honest to God believes that if you take a pill out of the bottle and put it in a newer, smaller, bottle, it means that the pill is good for longer than it was before.

Right? I did enough precepting to know that there's no way I would consider this. Props to educators of all types. Not for me.

Reactions: 1 user

To be fair, solid formulations (tabs, caps) never really expire...