Pharmacy pre-req courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elf4U

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be thanking in advance for the response.
Little about me, I'm 29 years old trying to go back to school and I want to become a pharmacist. I don't have any college credit, so I have to start from the bottom. I'm will be going to community college this fall and with some CLEP test? I will try to fast track some credits.
(0-6 seems hard for me to get in, contacted some college. but telling me go 1 year community college then apply.)
The forum has been great help for me and I have some questions regarding the pre-req courses.
Every school has different pre-req, so how do I overcome that?
For general, biology, chemistry, organic and calculus is a must.
But other classes does it matter?

Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Little about me, I'm 29 years old trying to go back to school and I want to become a pharmacist. I don't have any college credit, so I have to start from the bottom. I'm will be going to community college this fall and with some CLEP test? I will try to fast track some credits.
(0-6 seems hard for me to get in, contacted some college. but telling me go 1 year community college then apply.)
The forum has been great help for me and I have some questions regarding the pre-req courses.

Thank you again.

Most pharmacy schools that I know of won't accept courses that you've tested out of, so you need to actually complete the course for every pre-req you need. I don't fully understand what you're asking in the part that I bolded, but I think the gist of what you're asking is "which courses do I need to take?", right? You need to go to each website for every school you're applying to and make a list of which classes you need to take, then figure out which courses at your school satisfy their requirements. After you've done this for each school, combine your lists of pre-reqs (eliminating duplicates, obviously) and you should be good to go.

R2 is right on tract. Prereqs are mostly similar across multiple schools, so the trick is to figure out which schools you want to apply to and take those prereqs. Even though pretty much every school has one or two classes that other schools do not, they tend to be classes that you can stack on to a reasonable course load. Pretty much every school in a given area requires the same math/science classes and those will be the most difficult courses anyway (for the vast majority of pre-pharmacy students).

Good Luck! :luck:

Hello,

Thank you again.

Be careful about CLEPing anything. Some schools are very ornery about testing out of pre-pharmacy coursework (including English and other Liberal Arts...).

As far as different pre-requisites go, don't try to complete the PR for 15-20 different schools. You'll want to choose a handful of schools that you'll realistically attend and satisfy their classes. Some may want A&P, some may want Micro, some may want Biochem. What you'll need to do is, well, take all those classes. You COULD choose schools based on similarity of pre-requisites, such that you're completing the classes for the largest number of schools.

Good luck!