SnDividedbyn

10+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hi all,
I'm an old person and my degree back then did not asked for so many courses like today, i.e. Stats, Microeconomics, Speech Communication. I was wondering if any of you know which college still take the old curriculum without the mentioning courses above. Thanks.

TheScientist

UNC Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2008
NC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I know that if you have a bachelors degree, that UNC only requires that you complete the math and science pre reqs only. So I think you would still need to do that stats class.

SnDividedbyn

10+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I know I should have take that Stat class a long time ago but it was not required back then. It is so easy and simplistic, I do not know why they are making a big deal of it. I do not think pharmacy will dwell into Gaussian distribution or any of those mean and standard deviation. Standard deviation! standard deviation! Lol. It is only applicable if there are three or more samples.
By the way, I have took quantitative analysis and stat was a part of the course. I wonder if they willing to accept it. Do you think they accept it?

About the Ads

TheScientist

UNC Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2008
NC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I do not think pharmacy will dwell into Gaussian distribution or any of those mean and standard deviation. Standard deviation! standard deviation! Lol. It is only applicable if there are three or more samples.
By the way, I have took quantitative analysis and stat was a part of the course. I wonder if they willing to accept it. Do you think they accept it?

You would be suprised how much statistical work goes into clinical trials. You are correct that the stat class is easy and a waste of time, I did more statistics in my first couple of weeks in quantitative analysis then the whole semester of the stat course.

inquirer89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Check out Pharmcas.org and look for the schools you're interested in (most pharm schools participate under PharmCas) and look at their individual courses. There are many programs that don't require them, but all will require the science prereqs like general chem, organic, biology, etc.

FYI, check with each school and make sure that your classes will be accepted, depending on when you took them. I *think* some programs may not accept classes if they're older than a certain length of time.

FireyDragon

Beach Day is everyday!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2007
An open patch of beach
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Also if you don't have the time to sit on the phone with the schools you're interested in (I can't as I work full-time), most school admissions have email addresses where you can send your questions to. From my experience, they answer relatively quickly with the information you need.

fenixtnlfan

P2 Wildcat
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I don't exactly know what you mean by "old curriculum" so you might want to clarify. The University of Arizona does not require those courses you mentioned, but they do want more science courses than other schools typically so it depends on what classes you took.

I would suggest looking through schools' websites to see what pre-reqs they want and whether you have them or not. That's what I had to do. I think most schools have quite a few pre-reqs to complete because they are trying to make it harder for people to apply just because there is so much interest in the profession.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.