Pharmacy Program Attrition???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliCPhT

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Just wondering what types of attrition is seen at other pharmacy schools around. I've seen a program that started with about 100+ students, then 64 graduated (although only 47 of those were on time, the others were from a previous year who had to repeat). Are numbers like this common at other schools? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Just wondering what types of attrition is seen at other pharmacy schools around. I've seen a program that started with about 100+ students, then 64 graduated (although only 47 of those were on time, the others were from a previous year who had to repeat). Are numbers like this common at other schools? :eek:

I think you're going to hear numbers that are all over the place...I'm getting ready to graduate and I can literally count the number of drop-outs (whether it be for personal or academic reasons) on one hand. We have about 120 in our class.

We have 200 and we lose less than 5%

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally, 30% attrition rate at MCPHS-Boston, according to Wiki.
Highest rate across all pharmacy schools; whereas, about 2% rate nationwide.

In my experience, about 10% each semester.

At UF, there are a few that get kicked out. If you repeat a year and make another D or F anywhere along the way, you are gone. However, there are a few people who failed rotations and they are just making them up during the next year. I think they are a little more lenient during your last year.

I'd say about 5% don't make it through and another 5% repeat a year. The class before mine was the first distance education class. Because the program was new, they lost around 40%. Most of those are graduating with my class.

Out of 80, we had one drop out and one held back. We picked up a person or two from the class ahead so I think we're still graduating 80.

We lose about 2-3 a semester and started with 130. This semester we may lose more since the semester before rotations is no picnic... we picked up 5 or 7 from the previous P3 class from the spring semester.

does anyone know the attrition rates for usp?

How about the attrition rate for Rutgers - Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy?

Are you afraid of being kicked out of pharmacy school already?