Pharmacy questions

Started by Enzo12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Enzo12

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I have quite a few questions! I am currently an undergraduate(freshman) at Ohio State University. I would like to pursue pharmacy as my major. I've came to realize that OSU is a 4-year pharmacy program, not including a 4-year BS degree. I thought pharmacy schools were in the 'ball park' of 2 years? If not, what is the average amount of years a pharmacy school takes to graduate?

You may not be familiar with Ohio schools, but Toledo, Cincinnati, ONU and OSU are the main pharmacy schools. I have tried to find out how long these programs are and I've had no luck. I would also like to know , since I am getting my major at OSU, if i'd be able to get my major(Biology) at OSU(4years) and then go to a College of Pharmacy(2years) at a different school?(Toledo, Cinci, etc).
I plan on asking my adviser this information soon but I'd like to give this site a chance to help me out a little.

Knowing this information would help me decide on whether I really want to be a pharmacist or not. 8 years is a long haul, and I know ONU has a straight 6-year program.

Thanks a lot,
Levi
 
Hello,

I have quite a few questions! I am currently an undergraduate(freshman) at Ohio State University. I would like to pursue pharmacy as my major. I've came to realize that OSU is a 4-year pharmacy program, not including a 4-year BS degree. I thought pharmacy schools were in the 'ball park' of 2 years? If not, what is the average amount of years a pharmacy school takes to graduate?

You may not be familiar with Ohio schools, but Toledo, Cincinnati, ONU and OSU are the main pharmacy schools. I have tried to find out how long these programs are and I've had no luck. I would also like to know , since I am getting my major at OSU, if i'd be able to get my major(Biology) at OSU(4years) and then go to a College of Pharmacy(2years) at a different school?(Toledo, Cinci, etc).
I plan on asking my adviser this information soon but I'd like to give this site a chance to help me out a little.

Knowing this information would help me decide on whether I really want to be a pharmacist or not. 8 years is a long haul, and I know ONU has a straight 6-year program.

Thanks a lot,
Levi

First of all, this is a Pre-Pharmacy question, not pharmacy-school specific. And this info was all stuff I found out quickly in learning how to go to pharmacy school and it was not at all hard to find out.

Anyway, most school require you do at least 2 years prepharmacy work usually before going to pharmacy school and some schools require a bachelors degree (I do believe OSU requires a bachelors). Pharmacy schools, to get a PharmD, are all either 3 or 4 year programs. There are no 2 year pharmacy schools. The 6 year programs are generally for students that know when they are in high school that they want to do pharmacy and they start the curriculum as a freshman in college.