Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
Have you noticed about our pharmacy profession's respect has been declining significantly?

In retail settings, pharmacists are treated like robots, verifying machines. Working condition is like Macdonald. Nobody even listens to your counseling and take them seriously. All patients care about is "how long is it gonna take to fill this med?" , or "Can i have a coupon for this transfer Rx?", or "do you have 4 dolllar generic matching here at this store?". When you call doctor's office saying "Hi, this is the pharmacist X. May i talk to Dr...?", and here's a typical response, "hold on...". Then you wait for 5 mins and they hang up....lol...wtf huh?

In hospital, nurses treat you like delivering med machine. Up on the floor, without saying hi, a nurse came up and asked me, "So where's my colace?" ...and i was like , "WTF? I just came to work...and i'm doing clinical job today...call down pharmacy and bug them".

Before, when you go out and say, "I'm a pharmacist"...people usually go "wow...nice"..now its like, "uh huh...so do you have to work graveyard shift to get a job?"...

*Sighs*...so much for pharmacy respect...

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
Before, when you go out and say, "I'm a pharmacist"...people usually go "wow...nice"..now its like, "uh huh...so do you have to work graveyard shift to get a job?"...

So did you have to work the graveyard shift to get the job? Don't keep us waiting!

Apr 3, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Have you noticed about our pharmacy profession's respect has been declining significantly?

In retail settings, pharmacists are treated like robots, verifying machines. Working condition is like Macdonald. Nobody even listens to your counseling and take them seriously. All patients care about is "how long is it gonna take to fill this med?" , or "Can i have a coupon for this transfer Rx?", or "do you have 4 dolllar generic matching here at this store?". When you call doctor's office saying "Hi, this is the pharmacist X. May i talk to Dr...?", and here's a typical response, "hold on...". Then you wait for 5 mins and they hang up....lol...wtf huh?

In hospital, nurses treat you like delivering med machine. Up on the floor, without saying hi, a nurse came up and asked me, "So where's my colace?" ...and i was like , "WTF? I just came to work...and i'm doing clinical job today...call down pharmacy and bug them".

ummmm that is happening in all fields not only pharmacy. Doctors also have to deal with that. Dentists also have to deal with it. Pretty much any field that deals with people deals with this issue.

Who gives a crap how you are perceived. just do the best job you can...then you will be respected

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
ummmm that is happening in all fields not only pharmacy. Doctors also have to deal with that. Dentists also have to deal with it. Pretty much any field that deals with people deals with this issue.

Who gives a crap how you are perceived. just do the best job you can...then you will be respected
wrong...you never see a nurse calls a doctor and say, "you wrote the order for zosyn and pt is allergic to penicillin...change to a different antibiotic please..", but u'll hear this, "Sorry to bother you, doctor, but pharmacy called and said that pt is allergic to penicillin and zosyn has some interaction and asked u to change it to an alternative....". You never hear something like, "Sorry to bother you, pharmacist....".

Even if you do the best job u can, you won't be respected as u thought..

Respect is earned...true that...but in real life and work setting, more power + more money = more respect.

thedrunkenpharm

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Honestly I couldn't give two sh*ts if people respect me or not for what I do. I respect myself, first and foremost, and that's all that really matters. I do my job and I get paid. That's all the respect I need.

Apr 3, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
wrong...you never see a nurse calls a doctor and say, "you wrote the order for zosyn and pt is allergic to penicillin...change to a different antibiotic please..", but u'll hear this, "Sorry to bother you, doctor, but pharmacy called and said that pt is allergic to penicillin and zosyn has some interaction and asked u to change it to an alternative....". You never hear something like, "Sorry to bother you, pharmacist....".

Respect is earned...true that...but in real life and work setting, more power + more money = more respect.
god you are so naive.

you don't think Doctors get **** all the time. They do too. Just because you see pharmacists get yelled at some times you forget that they are respected. How many people come up to pharmacists when they are working and ask them for OTC recommendations. How many doctors call down at the hospital i work at and ask for a recommendations. I have seen plenty of these on top of the ignorant customers.

Apr 3, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Honestly I couldn't give two sh*ts if people respect me or not for what I do. I respect myself, first and foremost, and that's all that really matters. I do my job and I get paid. That's all the respect I need.
:thumbup: all you can do is your best. if nobody cares that is their problem.

type b pharmD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
omg.. are we seriously starting this thread again?

:confused::confused::confused:

:mad:

Rxforlife is it your life's mission to create as many doom and gloom, complaining / whining threads as possible? Or do you seriously think this is a topic that needs to be discussed again, for the 100th time, on here.? Unbelievable

Priapism321

Bursting with enthusiasm
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2007
Status
Pharmacist

None of what you describe ever happens to me at my hospital (well, I would say very rarely). Usually, it is the doctor that I round with paging me for the 9th time that day saying "Hey, patient X is febrile and the microbiology lab called and said they had gram negative rods in the blood, can you go write the orders to fix it?" I say, "sure, I will give it a shot, I will page you if we need to discuss something."

Then I go write the order (and sign it without any co-signature), the nurse yells at me for writing too small, we laugh, and they give the medications I wrote for (unless there is a nursing issue, like the patient is one 27 drugs with no central access, then we discuss how to address the problem).

Priapism321

Bursting with enthusiasm
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
"Paging doctor ******!"
See The Hangover.

Yes I'm bored. Lots of gloom and doom threads lately though.
I have not had use for a Dentist in 12 years.....it is called brushing your teeth folks.

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
omg.. are we seriously starting this thread again?

:confused::confused::confused:

:mad:

Rxforlife is it your life's mission to create as many doom and gloom, complaining / whining threads as possible? Or do you seriously think this is a topic that needs to be discussed again, for the 100th time, on here.? Unbelievable
lol...my mission is to bitch and moan while i can...lol

type b pharmD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
lol...my mission is to bitch and moan while i can...lol
This, and quitting 2 days into a job, are GREAT ways to get respect. Mad props, dude. I think you're on the right track. No need to really make this thread. :cool:

type b pharmD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
What does that mean? As u thought ? Do you think that you somehow deserve a certain level of respect in life ? People deserve a lot of things but they never get them. Who goes into a job looking for "respect" anyway? If the opinion of others is what is building your job satisfaction and happiness in life, there are more serious issues going on, i think.

DAW2

Professional Pill Repackager
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2006
work is work. i work and i go home. dont' bring work home. have fun with the family. now that's life

Feb 17, 2010
Status
Medical Student
In our hospital pharmacist are treated with respect. We have a great relationship between hospital staff and our pharmacy staff. True, maybe pharmacist don't respected as much as physicians, but they don't get treated bad either (generally speaking). Heck, respect can be earned by anybody.

StallionRx

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
I have seen some doctors/nurses deal with some really nasty people. Respect is earned. Your title doesn't matter to the outside world.

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
Rx, this thread is bogus. I noticed at the hospital that nurses give respect when it's first given to them. It's mutual. I respect the hard work they put in, I speak to them nicely and joke with them on the phone and leave them smiling. It works! When some of the techs are smart/rude to them, they usually dish it back, and rightfully so. Nurses are not the enemy.

Patients appreciate a smile too. :)

Seriously Rx, get some experience...you're not even a pharmacist??

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
Rx, this thread is bogus. I noticed at the hospital that nurses give respect when it's first given to them. It's mutual. I respect the hard work they put in, I speak to them nicely and joke with them on the phone and leave them smiling. It works! When some of the techs are smart/rude to them, they usually dish it back, and rightfully so. Nurses are not the enemy.

Patients appreciate a smile too. :)

Seriously Rx, get some experience...you're not even a pharmacist??
Oh okay..lol...enough kidding...you are not a pharmacist yet, not me. Get that straight. I've been here on SDN and giving advices since 2004...where were u then? huh? I' ve been out there working as a pharmacist for years already...and i've seen enough.

Yes, generally respect is mutual. However, in real life, that is NOT the case. Even if u smile and be nice to someone, it doesn't mean he/she will do the same thing back. Nope. That is not the case here.

What i mentioned "respect" here is the default respect. And pharmacists, in general, do not get as much as respect as before; whereas NP and PA do...

type b pharmD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Oh okay..lol...enough kidding...you are not a pharmacist yet, not me. Get that straight. I've been here on SDN and giving advices since 2004...where were u then? huh? I' ve been out there working as a pharmacist for years already...and i've seen enough.

Yes, generally respect is mutual. However, in real life, that is NOT the case. Even if u smile and be nice to someone, it doesn't mean he/she will do the same thing back. Nope. That is not the case here.

What i mentioned "respect" here is the default respect. And pharmacists, in general, do not get as much as respect as before; whereas NP and PA do...
why does anyone care about this?

type b pharmD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
then you should shut the Ph...up...lol...if u don't care:laugh: I do care, otay?
Im just saying. this isnt high school. It's not a popularity contest. Complaining that people dont respect you enough pretty much self explanatory for your image problems

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
Im just saying. this isnt high school. It's not a popularity contest. Complaining that people dont respect you enough pretty much self explanatory for your image problems
Wrong...Respect is one of the key reason explaining why there are certain pharmacists who banking 130+K/year and still decided to go back to school becoming a PA or MD later. It's all about respect.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I have not had use for a Dentist in 12 years.....it is called brushing your teeth folks.
Seriously, unless you've got great oral health genetics, your mouth will be a war zone. It's not quite that simple (which is frankly hilarious coming from a thread where the topic is "pharmacists getting no respect"). lol

P.S. "I", for one, deeply respect pharmacists (seriously). Pretty much every med student hates pharmacy, so we know you guys must go through hell to get where you are. Hope that makes you all feel better.

Last edited:

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Wrong...Respect is one of the key reason explaining why there are certain pharmacists who banking 130+K/year and still decided to go back to school becoming a PA or MD later. It's all about respect.
It's still quite silly to base your whole life around "getting respect".

P.S. If you're still pre-pubescent, I'd suggest a topical DHT treatment for that micropenis--it's do wonders for your respect issues.

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
It's still quite silly to base your whole life around "getting respect".

P.S. If you're still pre-pubescent, I'd suggest a topical DHT treatment for that micropenis--it's do wonders for your respect issues.
my whole life is not based on respect issue...i just feel bad for fellow pharmacists out there being treated like crap...that's all. They deserve to be treated better. This does not apply to me, however...I'm happy with where i am now.

And while u still browse on SDN since it's so boring and dull in med school plus no social life, i recommend u go jerk off...it's a lot faster. Meanwhile, i am gonna go down HR and get my biweekly 7K paycheck and heading for the Cancun vacation next month. Yayyy!!!

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
my whole life is not based on respect issue...i just feel bad for fellow pharmacists out there being treated like crap...that's all. They deserve to be treated better. This does not apply to me, however...I'm happy with where i am now.

And while u still browse on SDN since it's so boring and dull in med school plus no social life, i recommend u go jerk off...it's a lot faster. Meanwhile, i am gonna go down HR and get my biweekly 7K paycheck and heading for the Cancun vacation next month. Yayyy!!!
Hahahahaa. If you were 3'6" and fuzzy, I'd totally love to keep you as a pet. Sooooo entertaining :D

type b pharmD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Hahahahaa. If you were 3'6" and fuzzy, I'd totally love to keep you as a pet. Sooooo entertaining :D
i know. he's hilarious. he comes to post on here always about issues that "dont apply to him".

like how ****ty pharmacy jobs are, except his
how there are going to be no jobs left, because him and people he knows took them.

and how everyone else is treated badly.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
i know. he's hilarious. he comes to post on here always about issues that "dont apply to him".

like how ****ty pharmacy jobs are, except his
how there are going to be no jobs left, because him and people he knows took them.

and how everyone else is treated badly.
Well, I guess he's just looking out for you guys :D

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
7K? How can you earn 7K every two weeks and still fail to form coherent sentences?

type b pharmD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
7K? How can you earn 7K every two weeks and still fail to form coherent sentences?
I think he may be a foreign grad. :laugh: or maybe on an h1b visa. But you know what? He's a pharmacist, and he's been giving advice since 2004 :laugh::thumbup:

confettiflyer

Did you just say something?
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
speaking of respect, anyone catch the "private members only" AMA paper that went out calling pharmacists essentially unqualified? i only read the ASHP response but haven't gotten a hold of the actual AMA paper.

Marcus X

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
speaking of respect, anyone catch the "private members only" AMA paper that went out calling pharmacists essentially unqualified? i only read the ASHP response but haven't gotten a hold of the actual AMA paper.
Best quote ever: “It is imperative that a physician entering into a CPA with a pharmacist be cognizant of the limited training pharmacists receive in comparison to their own.”

type b pharmD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Best quote ever: “It is imperative that a physician entering into a CPA with a pharmacist be cognizant of the limited training pharmacists receive in comparison to their own.”
Is it a serious clinical publication? Sounds kind of like propaganda to me to make the doctors think they are 100% kings and in control of the medical establishment. That boat has sailed

Milly12

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Damn...

http://www.ashp.org/DocLibrary/News/NewsCapASHPlettertoAMAreScopeofPractice032510.aspx

It's kind of funny they should say these things... A fellow student and I were on a hospital rotation and could answer way more questions than many of the medical RESIDENTS on a round in the ICU could. The attending was kind of quizzing everyone and none of the residents could answer. So we answered for them. They were questions on basic patient care, physiology, pathology, and drug side effects that were directed at them. They had not a word to say for most of the questions. They kind of looked at each other, waiting for someone else to answer.

Not to degrade the med students, either, but this is pretty ignorant of them to put something out there like this.

Last edited:

delano2000

D-Mod likes to parTAY
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Texas
Status
Pharmacist
Damn...

http://www.ashp.org/DocLibrary/News/NewsCapASHPlettertoAMAreScopeofPractice032510.aspx

It's kind of funny they should say these things... A fellow student and I were on a hospital rotation and could answer way more questions than many of the medical RESIDENTS on a round in the ICU could. The attending was kind of quizzing everyone and none of the residents could answer. So we answered for them. They were questions on basic patient care, physiology, pathology, and drug side effects that were directed at them. They had not a word to say for most of the questions. They kind of looked at each other, waiting for someone else to answer.

Not to degrade the med students, either, but this is pretty ignorant of them to put something out there like this.

I actually read the entire response from ASHP. It's kinda sad that one professional association would try to put down the evolution of another (to say the least). I guess that AMA never learned that there is no "I" in "TEAM" and they should know that it is a collaborative team work. All because they feel somewhat inferior because of "scope of practice" expansions. Tsk tsk...

tungsten87

7+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I actually read the entire response from ASHP. It's kinda sad that one professional association would try to put down the evolution of another (to say the least). I guess that AMA never learned that there is no "I" in "TEAM" and they should know that it is a collaborative team work. All because they feel somewhat inferior because of "scope of practice" expansions. Tsk tsk...
+1... it seems like this organization (note that i say organization, which does not mean all physicians) would rather not relinquish any of it's power (esp prescribing power), even at the expense of patient care.

genesis09

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
The AMA is against the expansion of prescribing powers of any other group. They were against dependent rx authority of NPs and PAs. They did not want rphs to be able to give immunizations. Pharmacies have become a major provider of flu vaccine, and we all know how much money can be made there. The mindset that MD is king of the healthcare world has diminished over the years.