Setor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2004
Houston
Status
Does anyone know where you can find information about what each pharmacy school's academic focus is? I know some schools teach mainly for retail, while others concentrate on clinical or research tracks. Specifically if you have any idea about Mercer, UT-Austin, UH, or Xavier.

OP
S

Setor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2004
Houston
Status
Im am not 100% sure, but a freind who attends UAMS - Arkansas, informed me that they were more retail oriented or should I say teach the basics and that more of the focus on research was through electives and such

rxgal8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
I think all pharm schools focus on both the clinical and retail aspect of pharmacy. It's not like med school, where some schools are more clinical and others are more research-oriented. If you're intersted in research, you may want to apply to a school that has a PhD program as well.

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
the new guidelines for the graduate of a pharmacy school are "general practicioner" i believe most schools will be moving to this since it is finally defined what a graduate should be... this means that a lot of specalities may be covered in electives and they expect those who are clinical bound to head for a residency

previously there was no clear cut definition of what a graduate should know so you may see all school move to this sort of practice.