pharmacy school advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicguru

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could pick your guys' brains and ask for some advice on where to apply next year. This year was my first time applying for pharmacy school, and I realized quickly that some of the schools I applied for I wasn't necessarily qualified for or what they are looking for. Basically, I was wondering if you could provide me with some recommendations on schools that are one of the following a) like well-rounded students (look beyond stats) b) prefer Bachelors c) rolling admissions d)school you think I have a shot at with my stats below:
overall gpa: 3.27
sci/math gpa: 3.3
typical pre-req gpa: ~ 3.4
PCAT: 70
BS in Biology, minor in psych
biomedical lab research assistant, previously volunteered in pharmacy & rehab facilities. vice-pres pre-pharmacy club

I've looked through everything and come up with a few, but would appreciate others input. LOL, next year, I know to apply incredibly early (at least i'll have the time too!). Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't apply to schools in California.
Apply to schools that have rolling admissions: i.e, UACP, LECOM, Midwestern, etc..etc..
Apply to your state schools
Apply to private schools

www.pharmcas.org A lot of information you can find on the pharmcas website.

Why don't you give us a list of schools that you are interested in and then maybe we can help you from there. For now, it's just too broad to narrow down.

One suggestion I would make is get a job in a pharmacy... or even better, take the test and become a certified pharmacy tech. That would look really good on your applications. Also, not to sound harsh, but you could always retake the PCAT this summer and try and bring up your score a bit since most schools' averages seem to be in the 80s.

(I realize I didn't really help with the school choice... sorry. But, personally, I would rather improve my stats so that I could go to a school I really wanted... rather than just trying to find all the schools that I have a shot at. If you don't care about the school at all and just want to be a pharmacist then that's a different story!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've taken the PCAT so many darn times and still cannot improve, so I don't really suggest to improve the PCAT. You have decent stats. I have a 59 on my PCAT and got accepted already. I know TONS of people that got accepted to good schools with PCAT scores just like mine. Unless you think you can improve on the PCAT, then retake it, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. My friend got accepted to Ohio State with a 3.3 and 65 on her PCAT, but she got the chairman of the pharmacy department to write her a letter.

Kelly Bean, Well I am really interested in both Midwesterns. I applied to Chicago this time, but I turned in my app in late Dec/early Jan. So I think that really hindered my chance there.

I've become interested in Touro, Pacific, University of Iowa, Nova, Samford, Creighton and Duquesne.

How is Howard, Palm Beach Atantic, Shenandoah?

pharmk011, I am going to take the PCAT again this summer, I realize I am a bit below the average wanted. But, I don't want to just depend on that. I'm interested in schools that look at me as more than a number. Yes, I am interested in the quality of the school, but being able to get in is of course also very important. Thanks for your input!

KellyBean, lol, that is one good letter of recommendation. My friend got accepted to Ohio State too. I applied, but I haven't heard back from them....

Does your name musicguru mean you are a musician? I heard at a couple of interviews the question, "what do you bring to the program". And other schools mention diversity as being important. Not referring to ethnicity, but in terms of the desire for many experiences and viewpoints being represented in the class.

As for avoiding CA schools, I disagree. They are competitive, but they do not require the PCAT. And schools such as the UCs filter out the non-degree holders by only accepting those with a degree.

I play a couple different instruments. Piano, guitar, not so good at the violin and flute anymore. It's my other passion. :)

If you're interested in Iowa, I go to Iowa right now... hoping to get in this fall. I've heard that they really want the well-rounded applicant. I've said this in other posts but two of my tour guides at my interview made it clear that they had below 3.4s (the avg) and below 84 PCAT. One had like a 2.9 or something and a 70 something PCAT. I'm sure they had other attributes that got them admitted... but it shows that Iowa focuses on more than just numbers. Did you apply to Iowa this year? I know a few people who got interviews for this year who had ~3.0 GPAs.... so I would think you would definitely get an interview... unless they factor in the out of state thing a lot (I'm assuming you are)... which I don't know about since I'm from Iowa.

Musicguru,

I'm worse than you. I turned in my application for CCP on 2/20/07 :( But I'm still optimistic. It isn't over until they send me a rejection letter.

I turned my application really late for South and got a phone call yesterday for an interview March 18th (thinking of not going). My GPA, my PCAT score...everything is lower than you.

I think you just have way too much free time on your hands musicguru...it's ONLY FEBRUARY and you are planning for next year already??? Just be patient and wait. I thought you didn't even apply at all this year.

Where did you get accepted KellyBean?

I plan ahead, I also realized I didn't apply to the right schools and I just wanted some input from this board, from those who have applied elsewhere and been successful. LOL, wow, no I'm not impatient or have too much free time...My goal if not accepted to the one school I'm waiting on right now, is to apply early. So, I'm preparing early, just in case.

Pharmk011, thanks for the info. I'll keep them in mind, I really like the school.

You have until August 1st to plan, and that is SUPER early. I'm sure you will get in somewhere, so don't worry too much about it. I don't think I applied to the right schools either. This is such a wonderful site.

What is your top choice MusicGuru? I think I'd want to go to CCP. I wish I had applied back in October or something. Now I have to wait at least until April to hear from them again. *sigh*

If you're interested in Iowa, I go to Iowa right now... hoping to get in this fall. I've heard that they really want the well-rounded applicant. I've said this in other posts but two of my tour guides at my interview made it clear that they had below 3.4s (the avg) and below 84 PCAT. One had like a 2.9 or something and a 70 something PCAT. I'm sure they had other attributes that got them admitted... but it shows that Iowa focuses on more than just numbers. Did you apply to Iowa this year? I know a few people who got interviews for this year who had ~3.0 GPAs.... so I would think you would definitely get an interview... unless they factor in the out of state thing a lot (I'm assuming you are)... which I don't know about since I'm from Iowa.

I can vouch for that too as I'm from Nebraska and I got an interview right away before my PharmCAS had my fall semester grades. I met a bunch of people during my interview who had 3.0-like GPAs. After reading the interview feedback section on SDN, there was one person who said the high number of out-of-state applicants was even a turn-off. So, I think that an out-of-state applicant would have a good chance at Iowa despite Iowa being a public institution.

I decided really late to apply to pharmacy schools this yr...applied to 2 schools...never heard back from any of the schools... im planning to apply very early for next fall...i have bs in molecular biosciences and biotechnology....pre-pharmacy gpa of ~3.4...working as a clinical research coordinator(perform clinical trials for different pharmaceutical companies like Pfizer, Wyeth, GSK etc.).....lots of hospital volunteer hrs...NO experience working in pharmacy... very confused where to apply?????? :confused: Can any of u guys give me some sugessions plzzz???? And also im planning on taking PCAT in june...

KellyBean: CCP too. Followed by Glendale and South.

But, as of recently, Pacific has really caught my attention, and Oregon is beautiful. I also wish I applied to Iowa, I'm not a resident, but I'm also not too far away. It's also a pretty school, yet, big. And I've already done the big school thing.

I got an interview invitation for South, but I dont think I will go. Have you been there? Do you like the school?

CCP takes forever. You can get into CCP AFTER me even though you have better stats...lol...unless my Jan PCAT is better...darn..where is my mailman??

I play a couple different instruments. Piano, guitar, not so good at the violin and flute anymore. It's my other passion. :)

I'm a musician too and I emphasized it in my essays and interviews. It is a unique skill that may help to separate you from the many qualified applicants.

KellyBean, South is very small. But, I liked it. I still haven't heard from them yet since my interview, I'm getting really nervous especially since a few others have heard. They felt right for me, I just hope and wish that I felt right for them. But I'm starting to have my doubts now....e-mail/mail me something!

They were pretty much 1/2 full when I went. I know they have an interview, this week, and next week. And they make their final decisions this month.

Futuredruggist, Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to emphasize that more.